F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Advice - New 328i delivery - bad experience
ARMA SPEED

07-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Stokkes
Grand Pumba
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport Line (GS/Red)

Unhappy Advice - New 328i delivery - bad experience

Hi All,

I just took delivery of a (leased) 2012 328i luxury line alpine white on brown interior with no real packages included. I managed to negotiate a pretty sweet deal of 576$/month incl. taxes for 4 years.

I am however, a bit disappointed. Here'a bit of my story and I'm hoping to get a little feedback as to how I should approach this situation as it's left a sour taste in my mouth.

I demo'ed a 2012 328i about 6 weeks ago for 2 days upon which I began inspecting every nook and cranny of the car. I was quite impressed and began talking to my salesperson about possibly acquiring a 2012 model of my own for a 4 year lease. It just happened that the dealer had a model in the showroom that was a stunner. 328i Luxury line, Alpine White with dakota brown leather interior. I think the colour combo (other than probably Alpine White on red for the sports line) is a real killer in this car.

Anyway, I managed to negotiate said price and took delivery of the vehicle only to find a few hours later and to my great dismay that the 40/20/40 split folding seats was an OPTION. I returned the car the same day with only 20-30km driven on it but they refused to take it back (for reasons I can probably understand, but still don't like). In all our discussions, they was no mention that this model didn't have it and to tell you the truth, I really never thought about asking (seeing as the demo I had did have this option). I know part of it is my fault but I can't remember ever seeing split folding seats being an OPTION before. In fact, I spoke to a competing dealership tonight here in Ottawa and the salesperson there told me that during their training they were specifically told to mention that the folding seats was optional. Unfortunately for me, when my salesperson and I discussed the car and I mentioned I ski'ed and lugged some things around, he never mentioned this.

Obviously some blame on both sides, anyway. I am left with a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Sure I have a really nice car (had a 2009 red 128i sports package prior) but I know I will curse the day I have to bring something that won't fit in the trunk/back seat and will have to call someone to come and help me (it's my only vehicle).

I guess I'm just frustrated and needed somewhere to vent. I'm strongly considering trying to find someone to take over my lease, but I'll have lost quite a bit in the process and may not go back into a BMW after this since it'll probably cost me close to $4k out of pocket for this "mistake".
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Folding seat where never standard on the 3 IIRC.

But you should be able to return it, especially since you would still want to get another one from them. Check your local laws and your lease contract about returns. In some places you have a few days to return items..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokkes View Post
Hi All,

I just took delivery of a (leased) 2012 328i luxury line alpine white on brown interior with no real packages included. I managed to negotiate a pretty sweet deal of 576$/month incl. taxes for 4 years.

I am however, a bit disappointed. Here'a bit of my story and I'm hoping to get a little feedback as to how I should approach this situation as it's left a sour taste in my mouth.

I demo'ed a 2012 328i about 6 weeks ago for 2 days upon which I began inspecting every nook and cranny of the car. I was quite impressed and began talking to my salesperson about possibly acquiring a 2012 model of my own for a 4 year lease. It just happened that the dealer had a model in the showroom that was a stunner. 328i Luxury line, Alpine White with dakota brown leather interior. I think the colour combo (other than probably Alpine White on red for the sports line) is a real killer in this car.

Anyway, I managed to negotiate said price and took delivery of the vehicle only to find a few hours later and to my great dismay that the 40/20/40 split folding seats was an OPTION. I returned the car the same day with only 20-30km driven on it but they refused to take it back (for reasons I can probably understand, but still don't like). In all our discussions, they was no mention that this model didn't have it and to tell you the truth, I really never thought about asking (seeing as the demo I had did have this option). I know part of it is my fault but I can't remember ever seeing split folding seats being an OPTION before. In fact, I spoke to a competing dealership tonight here in Ottawa and the salesperson there told me that during their training they were specifically told to mention that the folding seats was optional. Unfortunately for me, when my salesperson and I discussed the car and I mentioned I ski'ed and lugged some things around, he never mentioned this.

Obviously some blame on both sides, anyway. I am left with a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Sure I have a really nice car (had a 2009 red 128i sports package prior) but I know I will curse the day I have to bring something that won't fit in the trunk/back seat and will have to call someone to come and help me (it's my only vehicle).

I guess I'm just frustrated and needed somewhere to vent. I'm strongly considering trying to find someone to take over my lease, but I'll have lost quite a bit in the process and may not go back into a BMW after this since it'll probably cost me close to $4k out of pocket for this "mistake".
I ll be honest , you got a good deal on the car but I believe it was an honest mistake forgetting to mention it. Anyway as a buyer with all the tools we have on hand I learned not to rely anymore on a salesman. I usually know more than they do when I walk in the dealership.
BTW, was your car the demo or a brand new car? What is the yearly mileage allowance?
      07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Holy firstworldproblems batman... It's split seats...seriously... Do you haul stuff regularly? I can count on one hand the amount of times I've folded the seats. Rent a minivan when you need to haul crap. Stop worrying over something minor and enjoy the car.

Sorry if it's a bit harsh.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Stokkes
Grand Pumba
Canada
Rep

@discoboy1: The car had 88km before I took delivery. Yearly allowance is 20,000km.

@bananachipz: In my previous 128i I had one of the 2 seats down almost regularly. I do a lot of volunteer work and I bring stuff in my car all the time. Also when I head to Rona/HD/Lowe's, it's indispensable having the folding seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Sorry Stokkes.

I'll add that my E90 325 had folding seats standard. I'm surprised that the F30 doesn't have it and I'm actually going to ask my brother about his as well.

At this point if I were in your shoes I would let the dealer/BMW Canada know that you are disappointed in the omission and to propose an opportunity to rectify it. ie., significant discount on accessory BMW roof rails and box?

I'll echo discoboy1 and agree that the sales/delivery guys are useless .. we've experienced a few omissions as well during the process only to gloss it over due to excitement.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Stokkes
Grand Pumba
Canada
Rep

I'll probably end up keeping the car. I've had a few interested parties look at taking over the lease, but I may just swallow my pride for a few years and borrow someone's vehicle should I need the extra space.

I do have a very sour taste in my mouth. I hope that in a few months time there may be some Combox retrofits available to give me BMW ConnectedDrive that I don't have in mine that would at least give me a few more gadgets to play with.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokkes View Post
@discoboy1: The car had 88km before I took delivery. Yearly allowance is 20,000km.

@bananachipz: In my previous 128i I had one of the 2 seats down almost regularly. I do a lot of volunteer work and I bring stuff in my car all the time. Also when I head to Rona/HD/Lowe's, it's indispensable having the folding seats.
Fair enough. Hopefully it works out for you.
Appreciate 0