F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Skipping songs on iPhone (or probably any other medium that you connect)
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

Skipping songs on iPhone (or probably any other medium that you connect)

My Mini Cooper has buttons on the steering wheel to skip through songs (back and forth), but on my F30 (Sport Steering Wheel) I only seem to be able to skip through songs by scrolling and pushing the scroll button. Does anyone know if there is a button (or pushing a certain button twice) to skip to the next song?
      06-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Wow, if that's true then this truly sucks. The previous models (E9x) had skip buttons on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Yep.. I find it annoying. Even worse: when I select All Artists, All Songs, put them in "random" order and then use the scrolling wheel to select the next song, it turns "random" off!!

I want to skip to the next random song, with one push of a button.
      06-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
This may sound crazy, but the lack of this capability alone will prevent me from buying an F30, or any other new BMW for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
This may sound crazy, but the lack of this capability alone will prevent me from buying an F30, or any other new BMW for that matter.
Frankly, yes it does sound crazy!
      06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaNLD View Post
My Mini Cooper has buttons on the steering wheel to skip through songs (back and forth), but on my F30 (Sport Steering Wheel) I only seem to be able to skip through songs by scrolling and pushing the scroll button. Does anyone know if there is a button (or pushing a certain button twice) to skip to the next song?
The left and right triangle buttons on the deck (above the eject button) will go to the previous or next track with one push. Not as convenient as being on the steering wheel, but at least it's an option. Pressing and holding these buttons reverses/FF in the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaNLD View Post
Yep.. I find it annoying. Even worse: when I select All Artists, All Songs, put them in "random" order and then use the scrolling wheel to select the next song, it turns "random" off!!

I want to skip to the next random song, with one push of a button.
Yeah, that surprised me too.

You can select the prev/next random track with the left and right triangle buttons!

Also a PITA for me is that random mode is cleared each time you start the car. Maybe there is a coding for that. I'll have to look.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
The left and right triangle buttons on the deck (above the eject button) will go to the previous or next track with one push. Not as convenient as being on the steering wheel, but at least it's an option. Pressing and holding these buttons reverses/FF in the track.
At least there is a solution. Thanks for that.
      06-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Thes clearly was designed by someone who doesn't listen to music.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
The frustrating thing with my setup is that I cannot use the scroll wheel to skip songs with any ipod or my iphone. USB, cradle, it matters not. Pandora works great. You can use the HUD to see the song, and skip tracks, etc. With ipod/iphone, the scroll wheel shows the current song, but will not allow skipping. I have to use the idrive controller, thus the entertainment details have to be full screen or take up the left side for split screen. The left/right arrows on the head unit do work, but not the most convenient. Maybe I missed an option somewhere... anyone else have the same issues or a better solution for skipping tracks with the scroll wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post
The frustrating thing with my setup is that I cannot use the scroll wheel to skip songs with any ipod or my iphone. USB, cradle, it matters not. Pandora works great. You can use the HUD to see the song, and skip tracks, etc. With ipod/iphone, the scroll wheel shows the current song, but will not allow skipping. I have to use the idrive controller, thus the entertainment details have to be full screen or take up the left side for split screen. The left/right arrows on the head unit do work, but not the most convenient. Maybe I missed an option somewhere... anyone else have the same issues or a better solution for skipping tracks with the scroll wheel?
The scroll wheel works on my iPod nano plugged in via a cable and it scrolls the titles in the HUD. I don't have an iPhone to test with, but I assume it would be the same, wired or over Bluetooth.

I have the Assist package with the enhanced Bluetooth. That may be required to have this feature.

Man, I got the Assist mainly for the peace of mind for when my wife is driving around, but with all of the other things packed into the assist package, I'm really glad I got it. I love the Bluetooth streaming for both my blackberry and my wife iPhone, and the send-to-car nav info from google maps is really handy. I didn't even know these features were limited to the Assist package until after my car had been built!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

We just took delivery today of our new 328i. We were prepared to get really frustrated with the difficulty of skipping songs during random play--but I discovered a flow that actually gives me a feature I've wanted on my iPod for years. That is, a way to shuffle songs, but easily switch to listen to a whole album when a song from it plays.

Put a bunch of songs in a playlist, sorted by artist and album. Play it randomly. Use the arrow buttons to skip if you want to--but if you hit a song that inspires you to listen to the whole album, just scroll to the start with the scroll wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
We just took delivery today of our new 328i. We were prepared to get really frustrated with the difficulty of skipping songs during random play--but I discovered a flow that actually gives me a feature I've wanted on my iPod for years. That is, a way to shuffle songs, but easily switch to listen to a whole album when a song from it plays.

Put a bunch of songs in a playlist, sorted by artist and album. Play it randomly. Use the arrow buttons to skip if you want to--but if you hit a song that inspires you to listen to the whole album, just scroll to the start with the scroll wheel.
Yep, that's what I do too; really handy. You get random when you want it and can stop random easily with the scroll wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
Just sounds like you're not a BMW driver if this is your biggest problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Frankly I prefer the scroll wheel. Much more usable within an album or playlist than track buttons ever were. And as mentioned previously, the track buttons are still within easy reach on the deck anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Frankly I prefer the scroll wheel. Much more usable within an album or playlist than track buttons ever were. And as mentioned previously, the track buttons are still within easy reach on the deck anyway.
I do like the way the scrollwheel works, but I wish they also had forward/backward buttons that mimicked the functionality of the buttons on the center dash while also keeping the scrollwheel. I like to listen on Random a lot, so it gets annoying to have to constantly lean over and switch tracks. Added annoyance is the fact that the buttons are as far over to the passenger side as possible, kind of lame. And if you want to hold the button to fast forward, it's annoying to have to hold that lean while you reach for the button instead of having it right on the steering wheel. Instead of the blank adaptive cruise control buttons give me a forward/backward set!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
I do like the way the scrollwheel works, but I wish they also had forward/backward buttons that mimicked the functionality of the buttons on the center dash while also keeping the scrollwheel. I like to listen on Random a lot, so it gets annoying to have to constantly lean over and switch tracks. Added annoyance is the fact that the buttons are as far over to the passenger side as possible, kind of lame. And if you want to hold the button to fast forward, it's annoying to have to hold that lean while you reach for the button instead of having it right on the steering wheel. Instead of the blank adaptive cruise control buttons give me a forward/backward set!
I think I understand now why we have different opinions - my car is RHD so the forward/back buttons are literally right behind the steering wheel. If I had to reach over to the passenger side I wouldn't be too happy either.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
I think I understand now why we have different opinions - my car is RHD so the forward/back buttons are literally right behind the steering wheel. If I had to reach over to the passenger side I wouldn't be too happy either.
Haha, yeah I never thought about that. The buttons are an easy reach for the RHD setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
Haha, yeah I never thought about that. The buttons are an easy reach for the RHD setup.
Heh. That would make sense on a British or Japanese car...
Appreciate 0