F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Pausing audio annoyance
Studio RSR

05-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Sshire
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sedan

Pausing audio annoyance

No nav. Standard audio. iPhone 4s.
I use the TomTom iPhone app for my navi. If I'm not alone in the car, i might want to have a conversation with passengers. Since there isn't a function to stop playing music ( at least I haven't found one) I press the iDrive button or the volume knob to pause the music. Cleverly, this also stops audio instructions from TomTom.
My next thought was to create a blank MP3 track and set it to repeat endlessly so that I'd still have navi audio directions. No, no no. No repeat feature.
Maybe a playlist with my blank track 100 times.
This is crazy. How hard is it to have a "stop playing music" option.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

How do you listen to your iPhone? BT? Cable?

I guess BT since you wouldn't be disturbed by anything but your iPhone otherwise.

Isn't there any Aux source you can choose?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Sshire
Rep

Workaround works

I use the y cable that came with the car. Don't have the option for BT audio.
Other than what I mentioned everything with the 4S works perfectly: music, playlists, pauses music when on a call.
I just tested my "fix". 5 minute blank audio track. Created a playlist in iTunes. Made a playlist called "blank" and put the blank track in there 12 times. Also set the album name to "aaaaa" so it's the default first thing to play.
Seemed that stopping music without killing the audio from the phone would be an easy thing to add via software update to the audio/phone system.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

So, what happens is that the BMW radio takes control over the music player in the iPhone and you can't stop it? I mean, there's a pause button on the iPhone but it looks like you don't have access to that one? I haven't tried this in an F30 so I don't see how it works. You don't control the music by tapping the iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Sshire
Rep

With the y cable, all music control is via iDrive. I guess, if I just used the headphone out to the audio in, I could control music via the iPhone but without the USB to dock connector there is no control or display via iDrive. Kind of defeats the purpose.
The only option is "random" music play. If they can do that, I'm sure they could implement other functions like shuffle or pause music but let other audio sources like TomTom play.
Appreciate 0