F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > PSA: Run Flat Tires - Road Hazard Policy from Pirelli
Studio RSR

05-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

PSA: Run Flat Tires - Road Hazard Policy from Pirelli

I feel that BMW is trying their best to suppress public knowledge of this so I should put this out as a heads up.

Pirelli still offers a road hazard policy for run flat tires, especially useful for those that didn't pay for a separate post-sales policy with BMW Financial or the dealership.

Read about it here:

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/ca...yres.tab?tab=7

Quote:
If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32” (1.6mm) of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge for the tire.
After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost of a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTI private brand replacement tire on a pro-rata basis. The authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner must pay for any associated service charges, including mounting and balancing of the tire.
This Road Hazard Policy is not a warranty. PTI does not warranty that a Pirelli tire will not fail due to road hazard and does not authorize any person, including authorized Pirelli dealers, to make such a warranty.
If you have Pirelli as OEM equipment (ie., P7 all season RFTs) you can get 100% replacement free if it got damaged by nails or such within 1 year or a specific wear level. After that, it's pro-rated dependent on wear.

You have to print a copy of the Pirelli policy and show this to the dealership. Service guys will deny knowledge of this or pass this off as an issue you have to sort out on your own with Parts or Pirelli itself. You are entitled to a one for one swap. The dealership should be filing for reimbursement from BMW Canada and they in turn will claim with their supplier (who deals with Pirelli Canada).

Generally speaking, any authorized Pirelli tire dealer should process this claim for you, but Pirelli's own claim process may be cumbersome enough that if you're not their customer to begin with they won't be tempted into doing you any favors. BMW obviously has an incentive to sell RFTs at full retail therefore has suppressed any knowledge of this as well as removed documentation in the cars, and will always claim RFTs are unrepairable.

From personal experience, the only ones that knew what to do with this were the senior parts guys at BMW Mississauga and BMW Toronto.

Update: Budds Oakville is aware of this as well.

Last edited by pokerface; 08-04-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M SuperCharged

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I feel that BMW is trying their best to suppress public knowledge of this so I should put this out as a heads up.

Pirelli still offers a road hazard policy for run flat tires, especially useful for those that didn't pay for a separate post-sales policy with BMW Financial or the dealership.

Read about it here:

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/ca...yres.tab?tab=7

If you have Pirelli as OEM equipment (ie., P7 all season RFTs) you can get 100% replacement free if it got damaged by nails or such within 1 year or a specific wear level. After that, it's pro-rated dependent on wear.

You have to print a copy of the Pirelli policy and show this to the dealership. Service guys will deny knowledge of this or pass this off as an issue you have to sort out on your own with Parts or Pirelli itself. You are entitled to a one for one swap. The dealership should be filing for reimbursement from BMW Canada and they in turn will claim with their supplier (who deals with Pirelli Canada).

Generally speaking, any authorized Pirelli tire dealer should process this claim for you, but Pirelli's own claim process may be cumbersome enough that if you're not their customer to begin with they won't be tempted into doing you any favors. BMW obviously has an incentive to sell RFTs at full retail therefore has suppressed any knowledge of this as well as removed documentation in the cars, and will always claim RFTs are unrepairable.

From personal experience, the only ones that knew what to do with this were the senior parts guys at BMW Mississauga and BMW Toronto.
My 335i came with Continentals. Did you get Pirellis?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yes, theyre on the F25 and F30
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M SuperCharged

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, theyre on the F25 and F30
Interesting! My F30 335i came with ContiSportContact tires. I guess that's because I went for the upgraded 19 inch wheels with offset, 225 front/255 rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: f25

Got mine replaced...

But Parkview BMW gave me a runaround until I called Pirelli and had them talk.
Thanks again Pokerface for the info...appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

No problem smoothmoka!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoka View Post
But Parkview BMW gave me a runaround until I called Pirelli and had them talk.
Thanks again Pokerface for the info...appreciated!
Were they insisting that you pay for the tire?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

thanks OP! this is valuable info
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Thanks OP this is great info!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

On a Pirelli tire related note, bananachipz and I found something interesting today by comparing our cars side by side.

If you get the Sport Line the dealer would probably have offered you the option of getting the summer tires instead of all-seasons, and also having the speed limiter removed.

However, assuming you do get the Pirellis, in both cases the tires will be Cinturato P7s. However one will be the summer tire and the other all-season. Visually they look very close. The differences we saw are:

- Tread was different
- "All Season" text on the all-season sidewall
- Summer tires have "91Y" on the sidewall, all seasons have "97V" (?)

Something to keep in mind and to verify in case the order gets screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I have the Pirelli Cinturado P7s on my F30 which was purchased mid April; does that mean I can go to a dealer and claim this? I'm currently running on my winters now but I need to switch back to my stock all season tires soon and I have one tire that has a nail in it.

How difficult will it be to get the dealer to help me with this?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

so Budds, Mississauga, and Downtown have done it. Others on the boards have commented that other dealerships around the GTA have done the exchange as well
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so Budds, Mississauga, and Downtown have done it. Others on the boards have commented that other dealerships around the GTA have done the exchange as well
Thanks. I'll check with BMW Toronto and see if they're aware of this. It's great new since I was pretty close to going down to the states to pick up that tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I took mine to Maranello back in December and they wanted me to buy the replacement tire. I guess I'll try them again since BMW Mississauga is also owned by the same auto dealer group and see what they say. I have until April 12 to do this.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Ok, I called BMW Toronto and they seemed to know about the warranty but they told me that this only applies if there is a defect on the tire and it doesn't apply to nails. I called Pirelli right after and they told me that it shouldn't be an issue as punctures due to nails are covered as long it's within a year.

I then called Parkview BMW and the person there had no idea about this then he took my number and mentioned that would ask his service manager and they never got back to me.

Right after, I called Maranello BMW and they were also unaware of this; the service adviser asked me to email him a copy of the bulletin and he would get back to me. I'm still waiting on his reply.

Has anyone successfully claimed this? It seems like a tedious process as every dealer is giving me the runaround it seems.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

They purposely make the entire thing very cumbersome to dissuade the claims process and force the busy-types to just go ahead and purchase a replacement. My family has made claims from Budds and Sauga. I would print the warranty note from the Pirelli website.

Talk to the manager of the Parts Department first.

Note - another user has posted the certificate on the X3 board:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...78&postcount=8
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They purposely make the entire thing very cumbersome to dissuade the claims process and force the busy-types to just go ahead and purchase a replacement. My family has made claims from Budds and Sauga. I would print the warranty note from the Pirelli website.

Talk to the manager of the Parts Department first.

Note - another user has posted the certificate on the X3 board:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...78&postcount=8
Thanks! I sent the notice to my service adviser at Maranello and today he asked me to bring the tire in so he can open a work order. April 12 was when I purchased the car and April 18th was when I took delivery. I hope I have enough time for them to process the claim.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The dealership is supposed to SWAP you a tire and you walk away with the new one. They take care of the processing and claim on their end.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The dealership is supposed to SWAP you a tire and you walk away with the new one. They take care of the processing and claim on their end.
Sounds like they're wanting to make this process more difficult because they said that if it's eligible, I might have to buy a tire first and they will reimburse me once they get they get their settlement.

Also, it says that the tire needs to be within the first 2/32" of thread depth. I had about 16,000km on the car before I got that puncture. Does it look grim in this case? I got the car April of last year and it's cutting close to the 1 year mark.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
BlauWeiss
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i RWD

Wish I had the Pirelli now!

Does anyone know if a similar policy exists for factory installed Bridgestone tires? My 19" upgraded wheels came with s001 RFTs...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
Chohua
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 xDrive

Did anyone have to pay $300+ coz dealer said it cover first year of warranty on run flats? I'm now pissed off coz priellis seem to cover that to begin with. Bought my car in feb what do you guys think I can do about it. Any suggestions?

I'm def calling up the dealer and getting to bottom of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #22
antyman
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Hi all,

I have the run flats and had a flat yesterday. Took my 328i to Shelly BMW at Buena Park (in CA). Asked them about the Pirelli warranty and they feigned ignorance. I ended up paying the $320.

Anyone have experience with this? Any chance I can get reimbursed? I plan on bringing them a printed copy of the warranty tomorrow and seeing how it goes from there.
Appreciate 0