F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Missing features in Canadian F30 (MY2012)
GetBMWParts

05-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Missing features in Canadian F30 (MY2012)

For reference, here's a list of features and options that seem to be missing on Canadian spec F30s for MY2012 vs those of other regions. Specifically these are options that we cannot order at all, whether we get the 320i/328i/335i.

Exterior
- Headlight washers
- Remote closure of windows/folding mirrors via key fob
- Rear fog lights

Interior
- Rear electric sunshade
- Rear side window manual shades
- Storage compartment at driver's left knee
- Storage nets on the backs of the front seats
- Power socket under glove box

Trunk
- Floor net, side nets
- Bag hooks
- Side strap
- First aid kit
- Power socket
- Warning triangle

Other
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) (Canada gets FTM)
- Speed limit info
- Traffic information in Nav
- Adaptive Cruise Control

Hopefully this helps any Canadian buyers who might have questions or confusion about feature availability. Options are variously available in US, Europe or a combination of regions. Some options may now be available for MY2013.

I'm sure there are more, so if anyone notices a missing feature please post.

Last edited by Raspartan; 06-11-2012 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Added power socket note per RASHID007
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

320i missing these from spec:
Factory installed heated seats *currently shipping without the heated seats, and is a dealer retrofit or $ credit.*
Extended dashboard cluster

My brother's 328 came with the B-pillar ambient lighting. Will dig up a pic tomorrow.

Last edited by pokerface; 05-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: clarification on heated seats
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
320i missing these from spec:
Factory installed heated seats
Extended dashboard cluster

My brother's 328 came with the B-pillar ambient lighting. Will dig up a pic tomorrow.
That would be great if you could dig up a pic.

Just to clarify, the options I listed are unavailable no matter which F30 you choose. Added a clarification to the post.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

here it is. sorry for out of focus pic. His is just a 328 Luxury with extended BT. I've also qualified my statement on the heated seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
here it is. sorry for out of focus pic. His is just a 328 Luxury with extended BT. I've also qualified my statement on the heated seat.
Thanks, now that's interesting. Maybe it only comes on the Luxury line. That's something I don't think we considered before. I'll remove it from the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

TPM is there, you just can't see the pressure values.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
TPM is there, you just can't see the pressure values.
I wouldn't be so sure about that though. Looks like Canada gets Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) instead of TPMS. FTM uses the ABS rotational speed data to determine whether you have a flat instead of monitoring the pressure via the valve stem TPMS sensors. I don't think FTM has any idea what the tire pressure is.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The tires on my dad's F25 had a low pressure situation so all he got was a warning on the screen as a diagram of the X3 with arrows pointing to four red-coloured tires. He had no idea which tire was low.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The tires on my dad's F25 had a low pressure situation so all he got was a warning on the screen as a diagram of the X3 with arrows pointing to four red-coloured tires. He had no idea which tire was low.
Exactly. I believe it operates this way in our Canadian F30s too. Maybe it would be possible to enable or retrofit TPM functionality, but I'm not sure that you'd want to really. FTM doesn't require the sensors on each wheel, which are expensive and prone to damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
vols1
Rep
Drives: bmw

Anyone else have problems with the Canadian configurator. I never have problems when I go to the US site. I use a mac. I have contacted BMW Canada but no response. When it did work a few months ago, all their base prices were incorrect. Doesn't give you a lot of faith, when all the other manufacturers web sites (some are better than others) work without a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
hellochum
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
For reference, here's a list of features and options that seem to be missing on Canadian spec F30s vs those of other regions. Specifically these are options that we cannot order at all, whether we get the 320i/328i/335i.

Exterior
- Headlight washers
- Rear fog lights

Interior
- Rear electric sunshade

Trunk
- Floor net, side nets
- Bag hooks
- Side strap
- First aid kit
- Power socket
- Warning triangle

Other
- Tire pressure monitoring (TPM)
- Speed limit info
- Motion sensor alarm? (Under investigation by Wild M)

Hopefully this helps any Canadian buyers who might have questions or confusion about feature availability. Options are variously available in US, Europe or a combination of regions.

Thanks for starting this list Raspartan. From what I've seen, Canadians are also not able to order:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Adaptive Sport Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by vols1 View Post
Anyone else have problems with the Canadian configurator. I never have problems when I go to the US site. I use a mac. I have contacted BMW Canada but no response. When it did work a few months ago, all their base prices were incorrect. Doesn't give you a lot of faith, when all the other manufacturers web sites (some are better than others) work without a problem.
I've also had trouble with the Canadian configurator on my Mac. The reason for this appears to be the site requires the most up-to-date software, such that when Apple pushes out an update, you will no longer be able to update the configurator until you install the updates. I find that I typically need to install 2 sets of updates. First, I install any updates via the Software Update tool in the Apple menu. After that is complete, I typically visit http://support.apple.com/downloads/ to search and install the latest version of Java. With both of these updates, the configurator begins working again ... at least until the next software update. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M SuperCharged

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellochum View Post
Thanks for starting this list Raspartan. From what I've seen, Canadians are also not able to order:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Adaptive Sport Suspension

I've also had trouble with the Canadian configurator on my Mac. The reason for this appears to be the site requires the most up-to-date software, such that when Apple pushes out an update, you will no longer be able to update the configurator until you install the updates. I find that I typically need to install 2 sets of updates. First, I install any updates via the Software Update tool in the Apple menu. After that is complete, I typically visit http://support.apple.com/downloads/ to search and install the latest version of Java. With both of these updates, the configurator begins working again ... at least until the next software update. Hope that helps.
You can actually order adaptive sport suspension, but it'll cost a fortune. I priced it for my 335i and decided against it. You pay the $400 special order fee plus the BMW Canada marked up price for the option. It worked out to be about twice the price our friends south of the border pay. I suspect you can order other non-standard features too (like exterior paint colour) if you're willing tom pay the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vols1 View Post
with the recent mac update, java got turned OFF, to resolve the flashback malware issue.

go to your java settings and tick the box to activate
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
dstng
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sport Line..

I really don't understand why there are so many differences between the US spec and the Canadian spec.. We are paying a higher MSRP already.. why can't they list them as options?!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Is Adaptive Cruise Control available to any region? I'm thinking Europe would, but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

How about getting a 320d or 330d???
      05-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
How about getting a 320d or 330d???
Well I think that's probably taking the concept too far.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is Adaptive Cruise Control available to any region? I'm thinking Europe would, but not sure.
When I was specifying my car, I think I saw that active cruise control would be available after July 2012. I can't remember where I saw this, but I noted it at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that though. Looks like Canada gets Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) instead of TPMS. FTM uses the ABS rotational speed data to determine whether you have a flat instead of monitoring the pressure via the valve stem TPMS sensors. I don't think FTM has any idea what the tire pressure is.
you're right... Ridiculous in a $60k car. The The lack of traffic data in the nav drives me nuts too. We get rds traffic data in the GTA.

I'd love to have words with the mental midget at BMW Canada who made these decisions.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Looks like Speed Limit Info will be available for 2013. May have to update the thread subject.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Had the mods update subject to reflect MY2012 so as to avoid confusion with upcoming changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #22
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For reference, here's a list of features and options that seem to be missing on Canadian spec F30s vs those of other regions. Specifically these are options that we cannot order at all, whether we get the 320i/328i/335i.

Exterior
- Headlight washers
- Rear fog lights

Interior
- Rear electric sunshade

Trunk
- Floor net, side nets
- Bag hooks
- Side strap
- First aid kit
- Power socket
- Warning triangle

Other
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) (Canada gets FTM)
- Speed limit info
- Motion sensor alarm? (Under investigation by Wild M)
- Adaptive Cruise Control

Hopefully this helps any Canadian buyers who might have questions or confusion about feature availability. Options are variously available in US, Europe or a combination of regions.

I can now confirm that the motion sensor does work. There is a time delay after you lock the car before the motion sensor will trigger an alarm. I haven't measured the time delay though.
Appreciate 0