BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Street coil-over recommendations

I have had the 1M now for a few days and would like some feedback regarding street suspension. On my e46 M3 I had ground-control coil-overs with camber plates. Looked great and handled nicely. Next was my 997 C2S which had Bilstein damptronic coil-overs, had it fully corner balanced etc. What a WORLD of difference those made. It was night and day imho. Then next was the e92 M3. Went a different route and did just drop springs to be compatible with the EDC. Seemed to work quite well and I was happy with that setup also.

So now here is the 1M: no EDC = no need to compromise. But if I am using the car 90% for street and 10% on mountain drives, CCA events, 1-2 track events per year what do you think? Would you go with just springs or would you still go coil-overs? Pluses of the latter are no wear on stock struts, better handling, adjustability, etc. Only con I can think of is price. And given this, would you go KWV3 or something else like TC Kline, JRZ, etc? Right now I am strongly leaning towards KWV3. Would love to hear some feedback!
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
I have had the 1M now for a few days and would like some feedback regarding street suspension. On my e46 M3 I had ground-control coil-overs with camber plates. Looked great and handled nicely. Next was my 997 C2S which had Bilstein damptronic coil-overs, had it fully corner balanced etc. What a WORLD of difference those made. It was night and day imho. Then next was the e92 M3. Went a different route and did just drop springs to be compatible with the EDC. Seemed to work quite well and I was happy with that setup also.

So now here is the 1M: no EDC = no need to compromise. But if I am using the car 90% for street and 10% on mountain drives, CCA events, 1-2 track events per year what do you think? Would you go with just springs or would you still go coil-overs? Pluses of the latter are no wear on stock struts, better handling, adjustability, etc. Only con I can think of is price. And given this, would you go KWV3 or something else like TC Kline, JRZ, etc? Right now I am strongly leaning towards KWV3. Would love to hear some feedback!
TCK DA and KW V3 both are double adjustable and twin tube design. With the TCK you get customized constant ID coil over type springs at rates of your choice to maximize performance or handling along with a custom motorsport derived valving package for the struts and shocks. KW V3 is stuck with what come in the box.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

The ohlins street option seems the coilover to beat in my mind. I haven't fully understood the valving design they are using on their "street" package, but the fact that they have 7 post shaker rig data to match the springs/ shocks/ chassis is huge.

For your usage I suspect you don't need adjusters. I'd suggest the vast majority of people just get into trouble with them- you really don't want to be "stiffening them up for the track", etc. Better to get something valved correctly to the springs you'll be using until you get to a very high level...
      01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
The ohlins street option seems the coilover to beat in my mind. I haven't fully understood the valving design they are using on their "street" package, but the fact that they have 7 post shaker rig data to match the springs/ shocks/ chassis is huge.

For your usage I suspect you don't need adjusters. I'd suggest the vast majority of people just get into trouble with them- you really don't want to be "stiffening them up for the track", etc. Better to get something valved correctly to the springs you'll be using until you get to a very high level...
Ohlins R&T will be another good choice when it is finally released. There 135/335 version has been great for both street and track use.
Appreciate 0