E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E93 OEM alarm motion sensor

05-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
slickvince
Evil Dictator
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 space grey, jade grey int

Garage List
2013 X5 msport  [0.00]
E93 OEM alarm motion sensor

Does the E93 OEM alarm have a motion sensor?? If so where the hell is it??
I have the alarm installed but when the top is down and I reach in the car with the windows up or down the alarm does not go off???
Did they install this correctly??
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
jbm3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW M3 (e93)

Hey Evil ... I dont beleive there is a motion sensor.

Here is my best guess why ... I had a 2003 e46 M3 vert and it didnt have the motion sensor either ... it was explained to me by the dealer at the time that the sensor is so sensitive that minor wind gusts would trigger it & thus not a good thing to have the alarm go on and off repeatedly on windy days and draining battery.

I tested this in our X5 by leaving the sunroof open on a windy day, and sure enough the sensor triggered the alarm with an ever so slight gust of wind. Anyway, i could be wrong about new generation of verts ... Hope this helps though.
JB
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
slickvince
Evil Dictator
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X5 msport  [0.00]
Thanks that makes sense. I wish I knew that before I bought the alarm. I basically paid over $400 for an alarm that only has a tilt sensor and shock sensor. Not really worth it if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
sterns
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 SMB F83

Garage List
2020 M4 F83  [0.00]
2016 F83 M4 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvince View Post
Thanks that makes sense. I wish I knew that before I bought the alarm. I basically paid over $400 for an alarm that only has a tilt sensor and shock sensor. Not really worth it if you ask me.
Hold on, I was told the E93 requires a different (new) alarm p/n than the E92 because it has a motion sensor. The Dealer ordered the E93 alarm for me and I am actually having it installed TODAY!. I'm droping it off in an hour.
I will reconfirm this and let you know.
      05-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
sterns
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 SMB F83

Garage List
2020 M4 F83  [0.00]
2016 F83 M4 Vert  [0.00]
Ok, here's what they said.

Besides the doors, trunk & hood sensors, the car will have a tilt sensor that will sense if the car is being towed, or jacked.

It will NOT have an external motion sensor, you can rock the car back and forth and the alarm will not go off, as long as you don't trigger the tilt sensor.
Is this the same on E92's?

The car already has 2 internal motion sensors inside the car (factory installed, but not enabled intil the alarn is installed) , on the driver & passanger sides, near the bottom floor areas. These sensors will sense if someone jumps into the car (with the top down). These sensors will not sense if someone reaches into the car and grabs your stuff. You would have to reach near the front floor areas to trigger the alarm.

I hope this helps. I will check that this is correct when I get my car back, hopefully later today.
      05-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
jbm3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW M3 (e93)

wow ... great info on the sensors only activating on floor ... I wonder if this was true on the older e46 I had as well & just never knew it. THX for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
slickvince
Evil Dictator
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X5 msport  [0.00]
interesting I never tried to hop into the seats while the top is down! Seems a little weird though I'd rather have the alarm go off if someone tries to reach in and steal something or maybe throw something in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Why bother with this stuff? A pro will get your car, regardless of whether there's an alarm present. An amateur will be stopped by the stock immobilizer. A smash-and-grab artist won't even bother messing with you unless you have some hardcore aftermarket ICE.
      06-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
ibd12nv
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rep
Drives: 335I, E46 M3, X5M

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
^^^^agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
miopyk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 987 Boxster & R56 Cooper S

According to the manual it does have the e93 does have a motion sensor because you can turn it off with the roof down. This could be just European versions though.

I have looked for it in mine but couldn't see it anwhere obvious. I suspect it could be a microwave sensor which would mean it could be behind a panel somewhere.

Miopyk
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterns View Post
Ok, here's what they said.

Besides the doors, trunk & hood sensors, the car will have a tilt sensor that will sense if the car is being towed, or jacked.

It will NOT have an external motion sensor, you can rock the car back and forth and the alarm will not go off, as long as you don't trigger the tilt sensor.
Is this the same on E92's?

The car already has 2 internal motion sensors inside the car (factory installed, but not enabled intil the alarn is installed) , on the driver & passanger sides, near the bottom floor areas. These sensors will sense if someone jumps into the car (with the top down). These sensors will not sense if someone reaches into the car and grabs your stuff. You would have to reach near the front floor areas to trigger the alarm.

I hope this helps. I will check that this is correct when I get my car back, hopefully later today.

Hey Sterns,
What was the final outcome in this? I assume you got your car back...
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
FOLKS,

Ther eis NO motion sensor for US E93's. I am getting reimbursed for the cost of the alarm system because they screwed up and told me it was included when in fact it is not. That and the fact that it took 3 attempts to get the dam system to work correctly with CA after it was installed.

I wanted the motion sensors so as to have some alarm with the top down. Anyway - getting the alarm for free is a reasonable fall back.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
xaldin
Rep
Drives: '07 328i Sedan

According to what I've read, if its a convertible, then the alarm system doesn't have an interior motion detector. But what I found even wierder is that they don't include the Glass Breakage protector...

BMW 3 Series Alarm
E90/E92
System includes:
BMW security and alarm system sensor
High powered siren
Ultrasonic interior motion detector (not in Convertibles)
Glass breakage protector (not in Convertibles)
Trunk and hood protection
Tilt detector to prevent unauthorized towing
Flashing "armed" status LED found on mirror
Factory installed wire harness
System can be programmed by center to "chirp" to indicate if it is armed/disarmed
2-year unlimited mile warranty or the remainder of your new car warranty, whichever is greater

I'm suprised though that the dealer would mess that up... you would think they would know all the accessories inside and out so that when there is an opportunity for a sale, they would market it well at the time of the sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
siracer27
Rep
Drives: 08 335i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
FOLKS,

Ther eis NO motion sensor for US E93's. I am getting reimbursed for the cost of the alarm system because they screwed up and told me it was included when in fact it is not. That and the fact that it took 3 attempts to get the dam system to work correctly with CA after it was installed.

I wanted the motion sensors so as to have some alarm with the top down. Anyway - getting the alarm for free is a reasonable fall back.

I install alarm 08 335i convertible and 4 dwa sensor. Dealer activate alarm and interior sensor and it work great. Alarm cost $170 + 4 DWA sensor in each door panel cost 80 for 4 on ebay (retail cost 140 each)+dealer activate alarm 133.
Appreciate 0