E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Where is the internal microphone in the car?

05-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Where is the internal microphone in the car?

Seems very useful to know... when I talk to people on the phone at 70 mph highway cruise, sometimes people say there is a lot of noise, sometimes none... one of my friends suggested maybe it's wind from the A/C vents?

It all depends on where the microphone is... and then maybe I can do something to improve it.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Roll your windows up?

Assuming they are up the "It's Noisy" thing is mostly on the other persons end probably. Some folks are more picky and some have better/worse phones. Everyone I've talked to while in the car says it sounds great though occasionally folks mention a little bit of echo. I've found it works great especially if there is a car load of folks on the way to lunch having a teleconference, you can conference in the whole car quite effectively.

The mike is located right above your head and to the right a touch on the center pod that houses your lights. Front left corner closest to you.

Make sure your windows are up when talking and you should be good to go though. I have a bucket-head friend in Florida and she is always trying to call and chat while ripping down 275. Seems that she hasn't figured out the concept of freaking wind noise.
      05-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks very much, Revlis.

I was going to comment that of course my windows were up, and then I read your little subtitle.

You're right that everyone sounds very clear inside the car. I'm wondering if maybe air is coming from the upward-facing vents (just in front of the windshield, at the top/front of the dashboard) and flying towards to microphone.

I was just very surprised that nothing changed and suddenly the person on the line said "ah, so much better now... no more wind noise"

I'll do some more experiments now that I know where the microphone is!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Hmm, that is strange. Maybe something more to do with phone carriers than the mic?

Could have always been the Auto climate control doing something that was blowing air across the mic... Or you need to stop breathing heavy during those uh... "Calls".

Good Luck.
      05-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
choatie88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX, Volvo XC90, McLaren 12C

On the E93 it's on the steering wheel column... haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.