E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ran over a pothole and now my climate control unit doesn't work...help !

12-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Ran over a pothole and now my climate control unit doesn't work...help !

Hi,

A strange thing happened today: I ran over a pothole with both the right wheels (not a really big one, suspension is ok but it did shake the car pretty good) and now my (dual-zone climatronic) climate control unit doesn't work: no LED on buttons are lit, nothing appears on the display. It's just dead. I do have a 3rd party warranty but I am also technically savvy and I would like to take a look myself at the sockets, fuses, etc. until Monday when I will probably visit the dealership.

Any idea what may have happened ? Could the unit be really damaged from the impact or maybe there's a loose connection/socket somewhere ? I looked at some of the fuses and they seem ok. How can I remove the climate control unit from the dashboard to take a look at the sockets, does anyone have an idea ?

I scanned the car with the BT tool and it seems the unit cannot be accessed:

" Heating and Air conditioner (IHR/IHKA) control unit

Unable to parse fault information for: Heater and Air conditioner (IHR/IHKA) "

Thanks !

Last edited by tscdennab; 12-02-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you try pressing the leftmost control button

When I dissconnected the battery cable on mine the display
on the climate control came up dead until I pressed the left climate
control button. I didn't know it had an on/off switch.
By the way is it manual or dual zone automatic.?

I think I remember hitting the max button when the display was dead
and it came back to life.

Dynavin installation thread shows how to remove it and I think there is also
a DIY on replacing the control unit with the new one that has a single heat zone options.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-02-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Thanks for the info, I pressed every button on it, nothing. It's the dual zone automatic. Are there any other buttons related to the climate control ? I also have iDrive.

I removed the control unit from the dashboard and I checked to see if there is voltage in the back of the unit. There is voltage (5v and 12v) coming at the unit on some wires on the left socket (strange, the red wire does not receive voltage, I assumed that should be a 12v wire). The right socket has no voltage,but I tend to think that is the output socket.

I tend to think the unit is dead...I wonder if there are any test instructions for the climate module somewhere on the Internet ? It does have some test pins on the back of it, but they are useless without instructions.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Battery disconnect

Allow the car to reboot thats about the only thing left if the fuses are good.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/attachmen...te-control-pdf

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/3-er-8/bm...1-e92-e93-291/

I found a bunch of pdf's that might be of some use above
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Allow the car to reboot thats about the only thing left if the fuses are good.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/attachmen...te-control-pdf

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/3-er-8/bm...1-e92-e93-291/

I found a bunch of pdf's that might be of some use above
Thanks, I didn't check all the fuses yet, I will check all of them tomorrow. But since it receives some voltage I think it's just dead.

I wonder if this IHKA unit needs coding after replacement ?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

The only thing I could think of would be the fuses. Would it be worth while to unplug the fuse for the hvac, and then plug it back in? Sort of like rebooting just the hvac screen.

How big of a pot hole? I'm wondering if (unlikely) one of the wires became loose. Still under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Thanks everyone.

I just found the fuse #77 was blown. On the diagram, this fuse has to to with glovebox lights and also with air conditioning (which was on when I passed over the pothole). However my glovebox light did not work since a year or so ago, but I ignored it.

BUT after replacement of the fuse #77, the new fuse blew again before anything lit up on the A/C control panel so it's still dead...maybe this fuse doesn't have anything to do with my problem, or maybe a fan seized because of the impact and blows this fuse repeatedly ?

I'll keep searching...I don't have the Bentley manual handy (I'm away from home) but I do have one, I suppose I will have to permanently carry it in the car from now on

I think I will just take the car to the dealership on Monday...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Problem Solved !

When the glovebox lightbulb blew last year, the glass of the bulb broke and the clamps holding the bulb in place went loose. When I ran over the pothole, the clamps moved such that they touch each other, causing fuse #77 to blow up repeatedly. The #77 also powers the A/C control unit (a bit unintuitive from BMW's part). When I took out the glovebox socket after seeing what was inside it and replaced the fuse #77 once again, everything begun working perfectly. Pfew !
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Problem Solved !

When the glovebox lightbulb blew last year, the glass of the bulb broke and the clamps holding the bulb in place went loose. When I ran over the pothole, the clamps moved such that they touch each other, causing fuse #77 to blow up repeatedly. The #77 also powers the A/C control unit (a bit unintuitive from BMW's part). When I took out the glovebox socket after seeing what was inside it and replaced the fuse #77 once again, everything begun working perfectly. Pfew !
Good to know. Good troubleshooting!
Appreciate 0