E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > A few idive Navigation Questions

05-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
teotaj
Rep
Drives: 2007 525i

A few idive Navigation Questions

Hey Everyone,

I have had my BMW 5 series for a couple months now and i feel i have a pretty good handle on all the features but there are a few things
i am still trying to fild a way to do. 1st, is there a way to search by name? i.e. Starbucks - and it will locate the closest ones.
My other question is navigation info points (keeping with the starbucks theme) i can get info on location - put in coffee shops and i will
get a list of all the coffee shops and i scroll up & down. That's fine if I need one at that moment but what i am trying to do is recall
that list anytime i need it without going back into navigation. It shows coffee shops icons on the map, maybe it was yesterday when i last
used it but the info is still there, i just want to get to the list right away without going to navigation - on location - restaurants -
coffee shops again.

Any ideas? Also, it's probably pretty well known but i found it useful to say "options" when learning voice command choices. When said
any menu you are on in idrive will give a list of available voice commands. hope that helps some of you! Today it helped me learn how to
enter an address in navigation completely throgh voice commands.

Thanks for any help,
Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotaj View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have had my BMW 5 series for a couple months now and i feel i have a pretty good handle on all the features but there are a few things
i am still trying to fild a way to do. 1st, is there a way to search by name? i.e. Starbucks - and it will locate the closest ones.
My other question is navigation info points (keeping with the starbucks theme) i can get info on location - put in coffee shops and i will
get a list of all the coffee shops and i scroll up & down. That's fine if I need one at that moment but what i am trying to do is recall
that list anytime i need it without going back into navigation. It shows coffee shops icons on the map, maybe it was yesterday when i last
used it but the info is still there, i just want to get to the list right away without going to navigation - on location - restaurants -
coffee shops again.

Any ideas? Also, it's probably pretty well known but i found it useful to say "options" when learning voice command choices. When said
any menu you are on in idrive will give a list of available voice commands. hope that helps some of you! Today it helped me learn how to
enter an address in navigation completely throgh voice commands.

Thanks for any help,
Matt
The first option you are referring to is searching by points of interest POI. Up until now...THIS WAS NOT AVAILABLE. But apparently, recent changes to the idrive software allow you to input "starbucks" or whatever. My car is currently being updated to Progman 25.1.1 as per the latest SIB (service info bulletin). This is supposed to allow me to search by POI and not screw anything else up in the process. My car will be ready tomorrow, so I will know if it indeed worked or not.

Regarding search memory...I don't think it will save you last search parameters. It will keep your last 10 destinations or so...but its just that particular location. You can't just go to a new area and research by your last query parameter. At least, I never found a way to do this...other than going through the whole menu again when looking for info on current destination.
      05-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
teotaj
Rep

Thanks for the response magmd!

Let me know on your upgrade if it works. Also is it a charge or in your
warrenty package? If not how much is it?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

the POI 25.1.1 works for 3-series, can't comment on if the version is same for the 5-series.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

Would love to be able to search by location Proper Name. Having the voice command recognize would be amazing. "Navigation, Starbucks" and then have it pop up. Even wihtout voice rec., searching by name would be huge.

This would eliminate the hassle of figuring our what kind of shopping I'm looking for, i.e. General, Sports, Hobbies, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
This is the SIB that I printed out and took with me. Its from another thread! But you are correct...this update version states for 3-Series, so I am not sure what is the status of this feature for the 5-series. It is covered under warranty if you have a legitimate complaint that the dealer recognizes as a problem. They do not upgrade under warranty just because you want a new feature. See the bullentin:

SI B 61 03 05
General Electrical Systems April 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 03 05 dated March 2007.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Software Errors Corrected with Progman

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)

Vehicles produced up to March 30, 2007

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

(New) The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 25.01.00 (Target data Status E89x-07-03-520). Only software errors that are corrected with the last 2 Progman versions will be listed.

CCC (Car Communication Computer) equipped vehicle, the SDARS (Satellite Radio) stored station list is intermittently empty since programming with Progman V25.00.00.

Poor RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information) reception. The CID (Central Information Display) is constantly displaying "Transferring Messages" since programming with Progman V25.00.00.

After vehicle programming PDC (Park Distance Control) FC 9e28 is stored. Carry out a power cycle (ignition Off/On) and clear the fault memory.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 25.00.00 (Target data Status E89x-07-03-515).

If there is an incoming telephone call while SVS (Voice Input System) is active it is not possible to accept or reject the call.

A loud humming noise can be heard from the auxiliary fan when the vehicle is idling.

The automatic transmission enters "Failsafe" mode during a 5-4 downshift. EGS fault "AF8D – ratio monitoring 5-4 gearshift plausibility" is stored.

CCC: The programmable diamond MFL button does not work when set to "Next entertainment source" when vehicle is in motion.

CCC: The customer occasionally has poor radio reception after the vehicle was programmed with Progman V23.x or V24.x.

The speedometer and tachometer needles shake when the vehicle is idling.

CCC: Slow response to inputs made when using controller after startup.

CCC: A high frequency whistling noise intermittently can been heard in radio mode

CCC: Navigation system pop-up arrow display missing. Refer to SI B84 61 06.

CCC: CD/CDC track advances after key cycled. Refer to SI B65 32 05.

SDARS (Satellite radio) receiver fault "A537 – Sat aerial short circuit" is stored.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 24.00.00 (Target data Status E89x-06-12-510).

PDC (Park Distance Control) stops working if the vehicle stops running when reverse gear is selected and then the vehicle is restarted.

The headlight leveling system (LWR) is not working. Fault code "9CB6 LWR coil break" is stored in the FRM (Footwell Module). Coding of the FRM is necessary.

CCC (Car Communication Computer): The "dynamic route" SVS (Voice Recognition System) option is missing on vehicles with RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information).

There is no check control message when one of the tail light bulbs is defective. Coding of the FRM is necessary.

PROCEDURE
For all vehicles, on a customer complaint basis only, refer to the following procedure and warranty information.

Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) Procedure B, using Progman 25.01.00 (Target Data Status E89x-07-03- 520) or higher.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
      05-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
teotaj
Rep

Okay, thanks.

So where would I go to find out if/when a SIB update is scheduled for the 5 series? Or i guess word would get around in here if that happens. How often would you say SIB updates happen?
Appreciate 0