E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > In Dash CD Player

05-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

In Dash CD Player

Queston 1
If you insert a store bought CD (not a burned one) into the in dash cd player and also have the Navi, will the artist name and name of song appear on the Navi screen? Or just track 1, track 2, etc..

I understand if you burn your own mp3 disc and tag it, then it will show the title but what about store bought ones?

Question 2
I just ordered a 335i yesterday and ordered the CD Changer for trunk, now I am thinking I should change it and get the iPod factory since I already have an iPod, should I delete the cd changer and get the iPod. I can always burn 10 or 15 store bought CDs onto a MP3 Disc for the in dash cd player, is that correct?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Queston 1
If you insert a store bought CD (not a burned one) into the in dash cd player and also have the Navi, will the artist name and name of song appear on the Navi screen? Or just track 1, track 2, etc..

I understand if you burn your own mp3 disc and tag it, then it will show the title but what about store bought ones?

Question 2
I just ordered a 335i yesterday and ordered the CD Changer for trunk, now I am thinking I should change it and get the iPod factory since I already have an iPod, should I delete the cd changer and get the iPod. I can always burn 10 or 15 store bought CDs onto a MP3 Disc for the in dash cd player, is that correct?

thanks.
Answer 1 - In order for the title of the song to appear, the disc must have been produced with CD-Text enabled. Not all store bought CDs are mastered with CD-Text. Some are, some aren't. It's hit or miss. Even if you burn your own CD with CD-Text via Roxio, Nero, etc. (iTunes' "late in the gane" version of CD Text does not seem to work), only the name of the song shows up in the iDrive display -- but that is still much better than Track 1, Track 2, etc. I suppose you could include the artist name and song name in the title of each song for mixes, i.e. "Roxy Music - More Than This" or "Ray LaMontagne - Hold You In My Arms" but be careful as there is a limitation on the number of characters that will display in the screen (probably 20 or so).

Answer 2 - Seems like a no brainer to me. CD changers are going the way of the dinosaur. Even one or two MP3 CDs will hold as much music as a regular CD changer (not sure if the changer will support MP3 discs, but I don't think so). In any case, go with the 6FL -- wish it was available when we ordered my wife's car back in April of 2005.
      05-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Thanks for your info, I was able to add the 6FL iPod before my order went into production, dealer verified it today and I have it in writing. Sounds like the iPod integration will be worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Thanks for your info, I was able to add the 6FL iPod before my order went into production, dealer verified it today and I have it in writing. Sounds like the iPod integration will be worth the money.
Good on ya. Enjoy the car, and the tunes!

Are you doing a performance center delivery? Might wanna consider it if you are in FL and it's not too late to change the proper codes.