E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Procede V5 N55 - Okay to disconnect CAN wires?

04-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Amlethae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Procede V5 N55 - Okay to disconnect CAN wires?

I'm not here to complain about the Procede or Vishnu, I love their work and this isn't a problem with the unit, just an issue unique to those of us with N55 Procedes and a desire to code our cars:

I've been waiting patiently for Procede to update their user software to allow us to disable CAN connectivity on the N55 Procede so that we can code our cars without removing the Procede. No update after months of waiting... it's quite understandably low on the priority list when they're busy with so much very awesome stuff being worked on.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if it would cause issues to disconnect the CAN wires temporarily to code while leaving the rest of the Procede installed? I'm sure some codes would be thrown, but perhaps they'd be cleared when I reconnected the wires?

Also wondering if I could install a switch (or two?) inline with those CAN wires so I don't have to take anything apart to do coding.

NOTE: Before anyone posts to say "just put it in valet mode/map0, works on my N54!" It doesn't work on the N55 Procede because there's a CAN connection maintained even in the valet/map0 mode that interrupts any attempts to code. One should also be aware of this if the dealer needs to update anything, the Procede N55 will not allow it while installed.
      04-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
GiRtHyN55
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Garage List
Just disconnect the CAN lines and pull the fuse for the power . I had to do this to my car before I did a DME update
2011 Black 335 xi MT- M package- Cold weather- BMW Performance Grills-PIAA H8 yellow fogs-Procede V5-Vishnu DP 3.5 inch- CDV delete-Vishnu Charge Pipe - ***Waiting on meth kit*** - H&R Springs Sport Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
I have a new firmware file for the n55 that disables CAN Logging in valet mode. This means that you will no longer by able to do the easy throttle pump trick for code reading/clearing. Instead, you will need to read/clear codes using the Command Center. The upside is that you should be able to do coding with the Procede in valet mode. If you want to try it, shoot me an email (shiv@vishnutuning.com). I did some basic tested last week using a BT tool and it seemed to work just fine.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Amlethae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I have a new firmware file for the n55 that disables CAN Logging in valet mode. This means that you will no longer by able to do the easy throttle pump trick for code reading/clearing. Instead, you will need to read/clear codes using the Command Center. The upside is that you should be able to do coding with the Procede in valet mode. If you want to try it, shoot me an email (shiv@vishnutuning.com). I did some basic tested last week using a BT tool and it seemed to work just fine.

shiv
Oooh that'd be awesome! Sent you an email!