E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 stand-alone downpipe fix

04-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

N55 stand-alone downpipe fix

So wouldn't it be nice to have a downpipe fix for the N55 separate from the piggies auto deleting it? I mean, I'd feel a hell of a lot better taking my car in for regular service by just having a downpipe fix intercepting the two 02 and simulate that shit while i took my whole tune out.

Most guys would hate to take their DP out every time they hit the service up right? Why doesn't BMS support N55 like they do the N54 in terms of a DP fix?

I mean its cool that the Piggies can clear the code when its thrown, but why not stop that shit before it happens? I dunno, just a thought cuz when i come up for my regular service, i'm gonna be hard pressed to take my dp out and i know there's going to be a "SES" light staring the SA in the face.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
So wouldn't it be nice to have a downpipe fix for the N55 separate from the piggies auto deleting it? I mean, I'd feel a hell of a lot better taking my car in for regular service by just having a downpipe fix intercepting the two 02 and simulate that shit while i took my whole tune out.

Most guys would hate to take their DP out every time they hit the service up right? Why doesn't BMS support N55 like they do the N54 in terms of a DP fix?

I mean its cool that the Piggies can clear the code when its thrown, but why not stop that shit before it happens? I dunno, just a thought cuz when i come up for my regular service, i'm gonna be hard pressed to take my dp out and i know there's going to be a "SES" light staring the SA in the face.
It's the same reason the piggybacks all run stock air/fuel ratios with the N55. There is no easy way to intercept the oxygen sensors.

The CAN Tool works great as a DPFIX though. Just remove it when you drop the car off. It's not likely they will drive long enough on a highway to trigger the light when its in the service bay. You also get the in dash gauges, shift light, etc, with the CAN Tool. With the JB+ Quick Install tune the boost gauge is pretty accurate too.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Thanks Mike, I would have to drive to my nearest dealership which is 45 min away though. When i put my dp on it did take about that long for the light to come on and only showed up after i started the car after the trip. I guess i'll have to find a place to stop close to the dealership and take my tune out and hoping the SES light will stay off while there.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

I had the CAN tool but sold it without thinking about this as a DP fix... maybe i'll have to pick one up again just for dealer visits.... ugh
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
It's the same reason the piggybacks all run stock air/fuel ratios with the N55. There is no easy way to intercept the oxygen sensors.

The CAN Tool works great as a DPFIX though. Just remove it when you drop the car off. It's not likely they will drive long enough on a highway to trigger the light when its in the service bay. You also get the in dash gauges, shift light, etc, with the CAN Tool. With the JB+ Quick Install tune the boost gauge is pretty accurate too.

Mike
I am using the CAN tool just like this as well. I does work... no error lights, and the shift lights with the fuel gauge hijack for boost is nice... i just wish I knew exactly what psi is am at during WOT. I am contemplating the air-vent ECS Tuning gauge... but it looks like its only for n54
      04-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Jesse@MBRP
Entrepreneur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Huracan EVO

Quote:

Mike
How exactly does this work? I see the tool plugged into the OBDII port and the cable ran.
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
I am using the CAN tool just like this as well. I does work... no error lights, and the shift lights with the fuel gauge hijack for boost is nice... i just wish I knew exactly what psi is am at during WOT. I am contemplating the air-vent ECS Tuning gauge... but it looks like its only for n54
There is always the P3 Vent Gauge also, works with the n55: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466515

Interesting feature is the real boost readout for n55:

Quote:
How does it read boost/vacuum?
We don't like to give you "sorta boost" or "pre-boost" ... we like to show actual real manifold boost. Boost data can be read directly from the manifold by tapping at the DV's with the included plug and play sensor for N54's... For N55's we will offer reading boost/vac directly off canbus, as the n55 has a sensor on the manifold!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
The boost gauge calibration is listed in the guide. 1/2 tank = 10psi, 3/4 tank = 15psi, etc.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
The boost gauge calibration is listed in the guide. 1/2 tank = 10psi, 3/4 tank = 15psi, etc.

Mike
right... so (for me) WOT the needle shoots to just over 1/2 tank. I believe it maxes out just under 3/4... so... that would appear to be 12/13 psi.

I just want to know specifically the psi. I'm thinking the P3 vent gauge is what I need. It appears to be an easier installation than the ECS Tuning pod as well.
      04-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
vwrefugee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Could you expand on this Mike? Does this mean that none of the piggies have control over fueling? Is this inability to intercept the oxygen sensors part of the reason JB4 for the N55 doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrefugee View Post
Could you expand on this Mike? Does this mean that none of the piggies have control over fueling? Is this inability to intercept the oxygen sensors part of the reason JB4 for the N55 doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon?
Yep. Until BMS can get richer than stock air/fuel ratios they don't feel comfortable going over Stage1 boost levels. Make perfect sense to me.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

I got the engine light and o2 sensor error after doing ca 4k km, which I thought wa quite unusual. then I plugged the CAN tool only once to clear the code and been driving without errors and codes ever since (almost two months)
      04-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
I got the engine light and o2 sensor error after doing ca 4k km, which I thought wa quite unusual. then I plugged the CAN tool only once to clear the code and been driving without errors and codes ever since (almost two months)
Awesome, so did you leave it plugged in or did u take it out after deleting?

I just bought my second can tool from BMS so I'm really interested in this. I'm going to do my own test runs as well to see how long it takes for the light to come on again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

so turns out I created this thread a while ago ... lol. Still I dont think there is anything out there that works the same way as the dp fix for the n54?

I have to do state emissions every year, and i dont want to keep taking my dp off just for that. Iis BMS just not going to try and make a dp fix for us?

I mean, i have a piggy and i can delete the cell no problem... but we all know you have to let the system become ready again before you do the emission test. Without the tune and a fix for the light, there's no way in hell i can get passed.

Please make one somebody!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Correct. At this time for N55 we can delete codes, but that puts them in Not Ready. Texas, for example, considers Not Ready the same as Failed. The only thing you could do is clear codes, drive around till they change from Not Ready to Ready, and then get your car to the inspection location before the sensors have time to detect something is wrong and fail over to Failed.

At least that is my understand of how things stand for the N55 till we get a DP Fix.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214 View Post
Correct. At this time for N55 we can delete codes, but that puts them in Not Ready. Texas, for example, considers Not Ready the same as Failed. The only thing you could do is clear codes, drive around till they change from Not Ready to Ready, and then get your car to the inspection location before the sensors have time to detect something is wrong and fail over to Failed.

At least that is my understand of how things stand for the N55 till we get a DP Fix.
yeah same in PA. I understand it though that as the system gets ready, there are a few thing things your car checks before it gets there. So it wont be ready if it passes all those checks and will essentially keep failing unless we do something else to the 02 signals like they do in the N54...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
If i understand it correctly once you drive the car around for a little bit it moves from Not Ready to Ready. Then you have to drive the car a bit more for it to detect something isn't right and move to Failed. So there is that tiny window there before the sensors detect a problem.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214
If i understand it correctly once you drive the car around for a little bit it moves from Not Ready to Ready. Then you have to drive the car a bit more for it to detect something isn't right and move to Failed. So there is that tiny window there before the sensors detect a problem.
Hmmm... I hope so cuz then I can make it work
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
what I dont understand is if you get the electronics to play nice and time it right, what allows the exhaust itself to pass emissions when you have removed the cats?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga
Quote:
what I dont understand is if you get the electronics to play nice and time it right, what allows the exhaust itself to pass emissions when you have removed the cats?
Because my state only checks for codes and not the air quality out the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #21
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Yep. Until BMS can get richer than stock air/fuel ratios they don't feel comfortable going over Stage1 boost levels. Make perfect sense to me.

Mike
So this means were running higher boost and taking in more air. "Thus making your air/fuel ratio leaner". Were not getting more fuel into the engine to help balance this out?

Isn't that bad. Your engine will get hotter faster, cuz there won't be enough fuel to fully lubricate the pistons.

Correct me if im wrong....
      03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
adrock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [9.58]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I'm in the same boat, had to remove my DP because of a "not ready" code that the emissions guy wouldn't pass.

What CAN tools are available for the n55? Does the BAV Tech tool work?