E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Winter to Summer Setup

03-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Winter to Summer Setup

For those running winter tires, when do you plan on switching back to your summer tires? Just curious if you keep them on a bit longer for the rain, or if you've already switched.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

personally, back then i always change to summer tires around half way of spring because I had bad experience with summer tires on WET road. Really horrible grip, at stop and go lights, same when braking-unless you're into skidding ..... (i actually changed to all season tires because i'm too cheap to keep changing setup -_-")

read reviews about your choice of summer tire, it should give you some idea if it can handle wet conditions
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watabaotnao View Post
personally, back then i always change to summer tires around half way of spring because I had bad experience with summer tires on WET road. Really horrible grip, at stop and go lights, same when braking-unless you're into skidding ..... (i actually changed to all season tires because i'm too cheap to keep changing setup -_-")

read reviews about your choice of summer tire, it should give you some idea if it can handle wet conditions
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I figured it may be a good idea to keep them on at least part way throught he rainy season. My summer tires (sitting in my garage) are the oem bridgestone RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
lightning20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sedan

i just changed back to my summer setup if you have good tires grip in wet conditions isn't a problem i use toyo t1r's
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
woojie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i, pre,sprt,cold pkg

how's continental extreme contact tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

I've got em on right now! My 452s have been awesome almost all year round. They don't work well in the snow/ice obivously but they are perfectly fine in the rain...
      03-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
s2kdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 now, was E90 (sold)

I put them back as soon as I can. I hate the feeling of squishy snow tires. I am likely going to put them back on this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Craigrow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red Mustang

I put my summer tires back on a week ago.

2011 335i xDrive Coupe | M-Sport | Premium | Steptronic | Nav | Harmon Kardon | Etc.

Delivery: Sept. 21, 2010 - Munich, Germany
Redelivery: December 4, 2010 - Seattle, WA
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Blackbird
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 Graphite Metallic

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I figured it may be a good idea to keep them on at least part way throught he rainy season. My summer tires (sitting in my garage) are the oem bridgestone RFT's.
The OEM's are an all-season tire, so you could put them on now. You won't have the same grip issues associated with a true summer tire.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
The OEM's are an all-season tire, so you could put them on now. You won't have the same grip issues associated with a true summer tire.
Yeah, am thinking I will put them within 2-3 weeks. Waiting on new rims.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Craigrow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
Are you sure about that? My car has Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires. Tirerack.com describes them thusly...

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (Zero Pressure) is Michelin’s Max Performance Summer run-flat tire developed for selected performance sedans and sports cars. Initially introduced as Original Equipment (O.E.) on BMW 3 series sport package cars, the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP has recently expanded its O.E. applications to include Michelin’s first Corvette fitment on the highest performing production supercar in Chevrolet’s history, the 2009 Corvette ZR1. The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP is designed to combine world class dry road traction, handling and cornering, however it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP molds an advanced tread rubber compound into an asymmetric tread design featuring Michelin’s Variable Contact Patch to keep more tread rubber on the road during a variety of maneuvers. The tread design features large outboard shoulder blocks and continuous intermediate and center ribs to provide a solid connection to the ground for control during cornering, braking and acceleration in dry conditions. The tread design also features wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches that help channel water through the footprint to enhance wet road traction. The tire’s internal structure includes two steel cord belts that are further reinforced by size-optimized, spirally wound polyamide to improve steering response and resistance to distortion while enhancing ride quality and high-speed durability. Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires incorporate Michelin's newest generation of run-flat technology including a heavy-duty rayon carcass reinforced by rubber zero pressure sidewall inserts.

2011 335i xDrive Coupe | M-Sport | Premium | Steptronic | Nav | Harmon Kardon | Etc.

Delivery: Sept. 21, 2010 - Munich, Germany
Redelivery: December 4, 2010 - Seattle, WA

Last edited by Craigrow; 03-23-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
vladdy328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

this weekend. Feels great

"Come to Me, and I will give you rest." || Matt 11:28
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
awd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrow View Post
Are you sure about that? My car has Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires. Tirerack.com describes them thusly...

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (Zero Pressure) is Michelin’s Max Performance Summer run-flat tire developed for selected performance sedans and sports cars. Initially introduced as Original Equipment (O.E.) on BMW 3 series sport package cars, the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP has recently expanded its O.E. applications to include Michelin’s first Corvette fitment on the highest performing production supercar in Chevrolet’s history, the 2009 Corvette ZR1. The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP is designed to combine world class dry road traction, handling and cornering, however it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP molds an advanced tread rubber compound into an asymmetric tread design featuring Michelin’s Variable Contact Patch to keep more tread rubber on the road during a variety of maneuvers. The tread design features large outboard shoulder blocks and continuous intermediate and center ribs to provide a solid connection to the ground for control during cornering, braking and acceleration in dry conditions. The tread design also features wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches that help channel water through the footprint to enhance wet road traction. The tire’s internal structure includes two steel cord belts that are further reinforced by size-optimized, spirally wound polyamide to improve steering response and resistance to distortion while enhancing ride quality and high-speed durability. Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires incorporate Michelin's newest generation of run-flat technology including a heavy-duty rayon carcass reinforced by rubber zero pressure sidewall inserts.

I have the same tire and run them all year. You should have no problems.
Appreciate 0