E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > After market Sub and Amp Disaster

09-26-2005, 02:52 AM   #1
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sapphire Black

After market Sub and Amp Disaster

Hey all, i just got my car back from the local reputable radio place and guess what? They stuffed up... The sound works great but now the seatbelt and airbag warning lights and (!) light stay on permanently.

Not only that but they also broke the plastic turn knob which holds the battery cover down...

Im not impressed at all.. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I will have to wait till tomorrow to find out what exactly they are going to do about this. I will not settle for anything less than a new part (just the plastic knob is fine) They tell me they have a contact at BMW which will look at the problem for me...

But you know what they say time is money.. They will have to pay my hourly rate plus fuel to get to that dealership. I am so freakin out... This could be a simple thing to rectify but for now without me knowing what the outcome will be is driving my stir crazy.... damn Does anybody know anything about this problem..They tell me its very common in japanese cars to have warning lights reset. But hell why should i waste my time when i paid them good money to do the job right. please share opinons and thoughts.
      09-26-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hey Aussie. I think I would be climbing the walls if I were you right now - you should be pissed off, there is no excuse for poor workmanship.

Did they say they knew how to do the mod for a BMW E90 ?

I know that each time the car goes in for a service they tend to reset the computer (this is on my wife's Benz) so it could be that simple. Car software and electronics is that complicated that a small disturbance here or there on one or two sensors can screw things up.

Don't fret dude - it's just a couple of warning lights - it's not like your engine don't work no more. At the very worst, get them to pay BMW to fix the problems - it's *just* lost time
      09-26-2005, 06:07 AM   #3
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Costa... i feel better now reading your post... I guess that knob which fixes the battery lid is no big deal as it can be replaced easily. I must admit the sound is a huge improvement. Thanks for keeping me grounded....
      09-26-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

They told me that they have not done an e90 yet so i was first cab of the rank. They had previoulsy installed a full system in my e36 and was more than happy with the result. They do alot of the work for presitge cars Ferrari, Bentley Etc etc.. so i felt comfortable. The thing that annoys me the most is the plastic clip which they broke and knew they broke it but did not tell me about it. Man the car was 4 days old did they think i wouldnt notice.....duh
      09-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
breton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Let's hear more about the technical detials of the install...pics, too!

Thanks

-Peter
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Ill get some pics soon... UPDATE...

CANTERBURY BMW IS BLOODY AWESOME.

IF ANYBODY IN SYDNEY NEEDS SERVICE you should see Simon (Service Manager). Simon helped me out immediately with my warning lamps and replaced the broken battery housing/cover without hesitation. He didnt charge me a thing! Well done Canterbury...

As far as the AMP and Sub...everything is perfect now... I must admit i must thank some of you guys for reassuring me that everthing would work out...so THANK YOU.... So Im a happy man now....
      09-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Ill get some pics soon... UPDATE...

CANTERBURY BMW IS BLOODY AWESOME.

IF ANYBODY IN SYDNEY NEEDS SERVICE you should see Simon (Service Manager). Simon helped me out immediately with my warning lamps and replaced the broken battery housing/cover without hesitation. He didnt charge me a thing! Well done Canterbury...

As far as the AMP and Sub...everything is perfect now... I must admit i must thank some of you guys for reassuring me that everthing would work out...so THANK YOU.... So Im a happy man now....
This is a great outcome George, kinda restores your faith in human kind

Can't wait to see the pics!
      09-27-2005, 02:37 AM   #8
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

DAMN straight it does!!!!!!

I did not expect something like that to happen...its awesome that people can be so thoughtful and generous with their time. Just got back from a nice little drive and I can confirm..."we have brake dust" :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: I love the steptronic... JamieA you must understand i do love manual but I live in Sydney (I have a view of the city skyline) only 2 and a bit clicks away so manual would have killed me. Yesterday i picked up my wife from the city centre and i took my 50mins to get home... its nuts.. I could have walked home alot quicker than that.... I bet living in Adeliade lends to having a wonderul six speed manual tranny... i would love to take your car for a run... although i know its that much harder letting somebody drive you manual..... lol haaa
      09-27-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Peter there is not to much to tell you about the install. Basically all they did install a 640watt amp and a 12" Pioneer Sub boxed. I will get some pics... Its a removable box so suits my needs. I know that there will be many sound freaks out there that will probably dump all over this setup but hey works for me. Its nothing fancy but does a great job. My car came with the standard HU so this was a great upgrade keeping in mind that i have kept all the original features and HU.

Im a little bit older (31) than most of you out there so I held back on upgrading all the speakers and adding speakers etc. Im now happy with my stereo. I would say that its a 100% improvement in sound quality compared with the original base model hu output. By having the sub it takes the pressure of the tiny little speakers BMW provided me with.
      09-27-2005, 02:54 AM   #10
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Here are my amp details

Bridged Power Output at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 180 Watts x 2
Maximum Output Power: 640 Watts
Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 90 Watts x 4
Power Output at 4 Ohms, at 14.4V (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08% THD): 30 Watts x 4
3-Channel Mode 2 X 60 RMS + 1 X 180 RMS
2-Ohm Stable
Power Input Terminals: Gold-Plated
Aluminum Die-Cast heat sink
Quiet Turn-On
RCA Audio Inputs: Gold-Plated
Speaker Connectors: Gold-Plated, Screw-Type
Speaker Level Input Terminals
Speaker Relay Protection
Line Output RCA terminals
Variable Low-Pass Electronic Crossover: 50Hz - 200Hz, 12dB per Octave
Variable High-Pass Electronic Crossover: 50Hz - 200Hz, 12dB per Octave
Bass boost (off/+6 @ 90 Hz)

And a 12" Pioneer subwoofer.
Attached Images

09-27-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
Mitesh
Rep
Drives: Silver 325i

Hello Aussie

Glad to hear your installation worked out. I am busy with the same. Quite a coincidence actually. I am also 31 and busy with the same upgrade. Got my 325 last week.
Anyway, is your amp powered with RCA input from the OEM amp circuit ?
Going to speak to a electronics shop now to see if they can do it
Any warnings to prevent a repeat of your saga
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 06:18 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

,but:

Could you maybe change your sig? That´s a nice picture, but it´s of a non-existenst car and it´s annoying to have to look at that big bright red thing all the time when browsing through a thread you´re involved with. Seeing it once is nice. Seeing it over and over again while skiping through the thread is not.

May I suggest a nice avatar and a subtle sig?
      09-27-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Tierfreund, there you go updated... I was getting sick of the big red flashing up too.. point taken...
      09-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #14
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Tierfreund, there you go updated... I was getting sick of the big red flashing up too.. point taken...
Good on ya mate
      09-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #15
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Mitesh I suggest that you make sure that the radio place you use for the install confirms that they have previously fitted out an e90 successfully. If they cant confirm this but you believe they are a reputable radio store then i suggest that you insist they contact BMW while you are there to get the information required to carry out your work. I did not do this, but should have. Let them know that this is vital otherwise you will need to do what i did and get the lights reset at the dealership. Its a relatively simple procedure so if they are any good they will do their homework before they start. Its up to you to check if they have done their homework before you hand over your keys.

Sorry that i cant give you any specific details but i dont really know much about stereos, speakers or amps... I unfortunately put my faith in the hands of the pros....

Good luck, like i said previously im very, very happy with the final result... :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
      09-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #16
Mitesh
Rep

Hi Aussie

Thanx for the advice. I had a similiar installation done on my M3 where they installed a high-low converter from the speaker wires. What this does is power (RCA input) the amp from the speaker wires which I don't really support. Cos, it sounded nice for a few months then sounded terrible. sounds like your instllation is done via a low power type input to the amp which is better as u don't lose sound quality from the conversion device.
Unfortuantely, the shop that I visited earlier don't know how to wire the amp into the low power circuit and want to install a converter again. I am not a fan of that installation.
Besides that, how are u enjoyin your car ?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #17
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Mitesh...its is fantastic... I love it ... I have just come back from a drive....i just cant get enough. Its just so much fun to drive...Its almost an addiction at this point as im always making excuses to go for a drive. My work and my social life are on hold while i quench my thirst for this awesome machine. Now that i have the sound system setup I am even more captivated by its spell cast over me. If you have read my previous posts i had the e30 e36 and e46 but this car is out of this world... Keep in mind that its only a car as its very easy to fall into the same trap i have....hhaaaa but the fun, the exhilaration, the cornering...wow...the power.. I know its only a 325 but its all good for me considering my average speed in and around the city is very limited.. I dont even think the tranny has been in fith gear yet and im sure its never been into 6th. I just cant wait to take her for a long drive and rack up those miles. only 249km so far....
      09-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #18
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325, do you find the volume of the sub in the car's cabin loud enough for your purposes?

Reason I ask is I'm planning on doing the same thing as you (basically moving the sub+amp from my previous e46) and I have a feeling that the e90's trunk is even more soundproofed than the e46. So, maybe I'll have to remove the rear deck speakers to port the low frequencies from the sub in the trunk into the cabin...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 01:54 AM   #19
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep

Yes i find the 12" sub which is boxed (pictures to come) perfect. I have not tested the full potential of this setup yet as i am very happy with the volume turned up half way. It absolutely rocks :rocks: :rocks: . Im sure you will be happy with the improvement. I had the amp installed on the ceiling of the boot. (not boot lid) Its great as you cant even see it unless you are looking for it.

After all the drama I had (mostly in my head, the drama that is) Im very happy with the setup as the bass is so powerful and crisp. :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
      09-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #20
NBRider88
I gave her my heart, she gave me crabs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Quote:
Yes i find the 12" sub which is boxed (pictures to come) perfect. I have not tested the full potential of this setup yet as i am very happy with the volume turned up half way. It absolutely rocks :rocks: :rocks: . Im sure you will be happy with the improvement. I had the amp installed on the ceiling of the boot. (not boot lid) Its great as you cant even see it unless you are looking for it.

After all the drama I had (mostly in my head, the drama that is) Im very happy with the setup as the bass is so powerful and crisp. :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
Get some pictures!!!! i wanna see some !
      09-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #21
Mitesh
Rep

Talking

Hi Aussie.
Yep, I share the sentiment....its awesome .....I had an e36 M3 before this. one can't compare the raw power of the M but it has an awesome feel and engine tone ..... the infamous 6 cylinder drone .... ...power also plentiful........you just wanna live above 5000 rpm.
One more question about you sub installation. Are u able to control the sub volume from the sub volume on the radio?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 06:51 AM   #22
Mitesh
Rep

Hello Visor

How are u planning to connect your sub? With a high-low converter or from the OEM amp?
I am still battling to get someone in SA (bloemfontein) to wire my amp like Aussie's.
If second option, do u have any wiring diagrams etc.
Appreciate 0