BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
momo style
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1m

Springs for 1M

Does anyone knows is the M3 springs would have the same fitments on the 1M since it is using the same suspension components?

Also, doing only the springs mod and not the shocks, since it's will be lower, will it damage the OEM shocks?? I had made that mod on one of my previons car ( acura ) and the schocks were leaking oil after???

Thanxs
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

I don't think this will cause any damage to your shocks. I ran my M3 with H&R springs on stock shocks and the car not only looked better but it also increased the stability. I'll have my 1M in May and i definitely gona lower it with other springs. Eibach, KW, H&R and other will come with a solution for sure! I will wait for H&R.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I wanna order springs before my car comes in LMAO! As soon as I get my BMW's I just lower than on H&R, my Z4M went 80,000 Miles on H&R and stock shocks, 335i at 52,000 miles and 135 at 67,000 miles all H&R Race Springs and stock shocks. No Issues and looks amazing.
      02-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I think you guys need to pump your brakes for a moment and wait til you have a production vehicle.

First off... I 100% agree that the ride height on the pre-production vehicles at Leipzig and even at the different venues like the Detroit show have the car sitting a little higher than I would like. So I understand your line of thinking. However... the group of us at Leipzig were cautioned that the M division was still fiine tuning the suspension setup, so it's a fair likelihood the production cars may be different. Looking at the 335, and other current models, even the 5 series and the current 135... I don't think these cars suffer from looking to tall stock. As a matter of fact, I look at the current 335 and say.. wow.. that car looks pretty low to start off with! So let's not get too overly concerned with the pre-production cars...

Next.... let's think about the process of putting together the pre-production cars. Doesn't it seem likely that they simply used springs from the M3 parts bin to start off with? And if so, then these are the springs that we feel have the car to high?!

Why is the car sitting too high currently? Could it be that the springs currently are too stiff because they are designed to support the weight of an E92 M3 that is 300-400 lbs heavier?

If you are considering aftermarket M3 springs, aren't the aftermarket springs going to be STIFFER than stock? I don't know a lot of companies that make aftermarket setups SOFTER than stock.. So.. if you get some aftermarket M3 springs, sure they may be shorter, but shorter and too stiff already, on a car with less weight than what the springs are designed for seems like it would make for a very harsh ride.... Not to mention the OE shocks are not designed for such stiffer springs... that just seems like a recipe for disaster.

It seems much more prudent to wait for the production car first, and then yes, if you want to lower it, maybe wait for an aftermarket company to test the OEM spring rates.... If you want to be the first person on the block to lower your car, maybe sending in your springs to a tuner like AST would be a good place to start, so that they can determine what the factory spring rates/heights are, and then proceed from there.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-07-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

If you are considering aftermarket M3 springs, aren't the aftermarket springs going to be STIFFER than stock? I don't know a lot of companies that make aftermarket setups SOFTER than stock..
I'm hoping that Billstein B16 / PPS10 with Ride Control will be offered for the 1M.
It has 2-mode EDC (electronic damper control). I hope one mode that is softer than standard 1M setup (for bumps and putholes in daily drive mode), and one mode that is firmer than standard 1M setup (for spirited / track driving).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270940

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I'm hoping that Billstein B16 / PPS10 with Ride Control will be offered for the 1M.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
It has 2-mode EDC (electronic damper control). I hope one mode that is softer than standard 1M setup (for bumps and putholes in daily drive mode), and one mode that is firmer than standard 1M setup (for spirited / track driving).
Bilsteins RC settings are normally just that: one damping (reacts to speed) setting is tougher that stock and one is more relaxed; Note that this is different from spring (reacts to compression) rates. Both E82 and E9XM Bilstein RC versions are available.

The length of their shocks together including the variable height threading on the shock tube is a minimal couple of centimeters/ an ~inch shorter than stock. Not sure if the Bilstein RC springs are shorter (~stiffer) than stock.

So far no geometric / part info on the 1M shocks. Most likely they came from the E9XM (or else E82), any evidence on this welcomed. [ Rear shock label pictures from BMW Welt please?!? ]

Last edited by eeghie; 02-08-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Lol...I love it when people try to buy things for cars that aren't even available yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
+1

Bilsteins RC settings are normally just that: one damping (reacts to speed) setting is tougher that stock and one is more relaxed; Note that this is different from spring (reacts to compression) rates. Both E82 and E9XM Bilstein RC versions are available.

The length of their shocks together including the variable height threading on the shock tube is a minimal couple of centimeters/ an ~inch shorter than stock. Not sure if the Bilstein RC springs are shorter (~stiffer) than stock.

So far no geometric / part info on the 1M shocks. Most likely they came from the E9XM (or else E82), any evidence on this welcomed. [ Rear shock label pictures from BMW Welt please?!? ]
pretty sure the shocks are new for the car. They also feature aluminum housings
Appreciate 0