E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > e90 n55 Performance Recommendations

02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
e90 n55 Performance Recommendations

I was a bit disappointed that my CA didn't explicitly say that I was getting a new engine when I found my e90. Knowing that the e90 will soon be dead, I fear that there may be an inherit lack of support for performance parts for this platform (considering it took so long to get stuff for the n54).

Regardless, I have the n55 e90 Auto with M-Sport package and I love it. I'm still looking for more power though. The fuel economy has been fantastic - above and beyond my n52!

I'm brand new to tuning, and adding power to my vehicle - hence the reason for this post.

I know what the options are out there, but I'm not sure which direction to go.

So I guess a few comments then questions...

1. I'm not looking to take my car to the track - just not interested. I'm sure that would help in the final decision making process.

2. I'm looking to possibly keep this car for the long term - at some point in say 5 or so years it may just be a winter car and a weekend driver.

3. I'm looking to maintain my warranty as long as possible.

So I think this brings me to a few options:

a. Dinan - very pricy, warranty, but no n55 options yet - bummer x2.

b. BMW Performance - It's unclear whether the Performance Power Kit is available for the n55 yet - my dealer says yes, website says no. I'd be interested if anyone has additional input here. Performance exhaust is available, but from what I understand does not provide that much additional power gain. Certainly the cooling gains with the PPK will only benefit C below as well.

c. Tune - JB, Procede, Cobb (soon) - By reading the posts here I'm really not sure what you guys do with the tunes. Are you tuning just for more power for your daily driver, or are you doing it only when you track your cars? Obviously this is most cost effective, but also has potential for warranty issues. Cobb would be the best as I wouldn't have to tinker under the hood, but all are removable within 30 mins. So the question there - do you guys tune your daily drivers and drive them as such, or do you only tune when you go to the track?

d. Air Intake - Again, the options right now are variable. Ideally I'd just get a K&N drop in, but not available for n55 yet. I'm not sure about the other drop in options (foam) at this point (just don't know long term reliability). It's also unclear whether these "ram air" things ($100) are anything more than a gimmick. Since BMW performance doesn't have an option as well (n52 only), the question is between all the other AM stuff - DCI, other airboxes. The prices are variable and again, it's unclear which comes out as the best value.

e. Exhaust - Does it really matter/make a difference?

I'm a huge believer in you get what you pay for, but with all the possibilities I think it's unclear.

I'd appreciate any input here, especially if anyone knows of the PPK is truly available for the n55, and the utility of a tune with or without it.

Your help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I was a bit disappointed that my CA didn't explicitly say that I was getting a new engine when I found my e90. Knowing that the e90 will soon be dead, I fear that there may be an inherit lack of support for performance parts for this platform (considering it took so long to get stuff for the n54).

Regardless, I have the n55 e90 Auto with M-Sport package and I love it. I'm still looking for more power though. The fuel economy has been fantastic - above and beyond my n52!

I'm brand new to tuning, and adding power to my vehicle - hence the reason for this post.

1. I'm not looking to take my car to the track - just not interested. I'm sure that would help in the final decision making process.

2. I'm looking to possibly keep this car for the long term - at some point in say 5 or so years it may just be a winter car and a weekend driver.

b. BMW Performance - It's unclear whether the Performance Power Kit is available for the n55 yet - my dealer says yes, website says no. I'd be interested if anyone has additional input here. Performance exhaust is available, but from what I understand does not provide that much additional power gain. Certainly the cooling gains with the PPK will only benefit C below as well.

c. Tune - JB, Procede, Cobb (soon) - By reading the posts here I'm really not sure what you guys do with the tunes. Are you tuning just for more power for your daily driver, or are you doing it only when you track your cars? Obviously this is most cost effective, but also has potential for warranty issues. Cobb would be the best as I wouldn't have to tinker under the hood, but all are removable within 30 mins. So the question there - do you guys tune your daily drivers and drive them as such, or do you only tune when you go to the track?

d. Air Intake - Again, the options right now are variable. Ideally I'd just get a K&N drop in, but not available for n55 yet. I'm not sure about the other drop in options (foam) at this point (just don't know long term reliability). It's also unclear whether these "ram air" things ($100) are anything more than a gimmick. Since BMW performance doesn't have an option as well (n52 only), the question is between all the other AM stuff - DCI, other airboxes. The prices are variable and again, it's unclear which comes out as the best value.

I'm a huge believer in you get what you pay for, but with all the possibilities I think it's unclear.

I'd appreciate any input here, especially if anyone knows of the PPK is truly available for the n55, and the utility of a tune with or without it.

Dinan does not equal warranty. Not every dealership will honor it.

Just get the procede and a catted downpipe by icarbon if you don't want the eggy smell.
      02-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I would stick to tune, and DPs right now. The popular choices are JB3/PROcede and ar design downpipes. The JB3 N55 stage1 tune is super easy to install, and takes about 10-15min. No ECU to go into.

With both of these you should be pretty happy with the added performance.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I'm not asking which tune to use - there are tons of threads on them... more so to tune or not to tune. Are people turning cars that they don't track, just for the added hp/torque?

Also, I don't really understand the whole DP thing. I'll do some reading myself, but if someone can also quickly explain the benefit of DP catless or catted, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure it has something to do with back pressure.
Is DP installation DIY? Again, I'm going to read for myself too, but any quick answers are appreciated as well.

EDIT: After reading up, I don't know why I'd want a catless downpipe, it sounds like the fumes created are awful. So the next question is, if I'm going to spend $1,200 on a catted downpipe, why not just pay BMW for the Performance Exhaust? In the XI doesn't it replace all the components?

Last edited by Professor///M; 02-02-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
sti917
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 M package Auto

Quote:

you know everything about everything.... what is the question again???
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
not much options to be honest...

FMIC
Drop in filter
Exhaust
DP
Tune

Thats it..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

Wait, you're suggesting that it's someone elses fault that you didn't know what you were buying

Also, it's "inherent" not "inherit."

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Wait, you're suggesting that it's someone elses fault that you didn't know what you were buying

Also, it's "inherent" not "inherit."

Neil
Yes, I do blame them, and BMW NA as they subtly changed "twin turbo" to twin power. I blame myself as well for not going to these boards first, but why would a customer think a platform that has been pretty stable for 4 years that underwent a redesign 2years ago, that will be replaced in another 2 years or less would have major changes. Again I love my car, my concern is the potential for lack of support considering the F30 is around the corner.

Instead of chastising me and my minor grammatical error, how about answering some of the questions? That would better benefit both our time.

Why don't you start with the availability of the n55 ppk. Web says unavailable, dealer says it is based on VIN, except description for the VIN says n54 and the parts guy, honestly didn't understand the difference. Your elitism is appreciated with that concern, you must have the answer since you have the time to proof read the forums.
You should really check out Facebook.com, the grammar there is so much worse with the lols, idks...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
OP, why are you worried about a lack of support for the N55? BMW is putting this engine in practically every model they make now, so I think support for the N55 will be just fine.

Also, there is no PPK for the N55 yet. Your dealership is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
OP, why are you worried about a lack of support for the N55? BMW is putting this engine in practically every model they make now, so I think support for the N55 will be just fine.

Also, there is no PPK for the N55 yet. Your dealership is incorrect.
That's what I figured regarding the PPK... thanks for your insight. My dealership was incorrect on a lot of things, which is why I was concerned. They didn't even have the specs on how to cut the 3M film on the MSport for the LCI, which has been out for over 2 years already. They're really good at what they do there regarding repairs, service, and sales - but when it comes to general information and availability of parts or services they drop the ball.

The reason why I'm concerned is that if the n55 is limited to only 1 year of the e90, why would BMW spend the time to develop the performance parts that fit it with the F30 around the corner, as well as the F10 just debuting. I'm sure considering the widespread use of the n55 that there will be parts, but just a bit concerned that they may leave the e90 off the list since it's going to be replaced very shortly.

Thanks again! BTW nice combo - Lemans + Saddle. Almost got that combo but they didn't have it in the e90 locally.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

there has been reports that the N55 PPK is out.
look at the 1er site.

I think there is fairly alot of performance mods for the
N55. It's going through it's run right now.

and you can always sale your N55 and get a 335is.
or get the new 1mer.

glass is half full.
      02-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

you may already have this, but here is the link to Performance Parts currently available for your model year:
http://accessories.bmwusa.com/Access...=599&perf=true

there is no part number that correlates to a PPK for the N55 yet. so it could be sometime before BMW offers that -- if there are other reports i have not seen news yet concerning release.

even though the E platform is going away the engine N will remain, and even if its discontinued (unlikely for a little while) the performance part support should still continue -- look at all the E46 parts available for cars that have retired engineering #s. the n54 will move aside, but not without a fight, as evident in the 335is and 1M.

BMW does not move as fast as the aftermarket, due to some of the issues with federal and state compliance, so be patient (if possible )

Quote:
That's what I figured regarding the PPK... thanks for your insight. My dealership was incorrect on a lot of things, which is why I was concerned. They didn't even have the specs on how to cut the 3M film on the MSport for the LCI, which has been out for over 2 years already. They're really good at what they do there regarding repairs, service, and sales - but when it comes to general information and availability of parts or services they drop the ball.

The reason why I'm concerned is that if the n55 is limited to only 1 year of the e90, why would BMW spend the time to develop the performance parts that fit it with the F30 around the corner, as well as the F10 just debuting. I'm sure considering the widespread use of the n55 that there will be parts, but just a bit concerned that they may leave the e90 off the list since it's going to be replaced very shortly.

Thanks again! BTW nice combo - Lemans + Saddle. Almost got that combo but they didn't have it in the e90 locally.
Appreciate 0