E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > oem style splitters keeps falling off

10-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
ctv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T4RV8

oem style splitters keeps falling off

I bought a pair from JBspeed. Don't get me wrong they fit great, but for some reason one side keeps falling off. I don't think it's the tape because the other side is perfectly fine. Any ideas on what else I can do to keep them on my car? Do you think it's because I'm always mashing it on the freeway during hot weather?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
What do you mean falling off? If it actually fell off then you wouldnt have the splitter to reattach?

Did you use the screws on the bottom of the bumper? Besides that you probably didn't clean the surface enough for the tape to adhere...this includes both the splitters surface and the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
ctv
First Lieutenant
Rep

I used the screws on the bottom, what I meant from falling off is that the tape wasn't sticky enough to keep it in place. I washed and dried the car right before installing the splitters. Maybe I should redo it?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Best to clean all surfaces that are gonna touch the tape well with rubbing alcohol to remove any wax, grease, etc. They also make a 3M Adhesive Promoter (don't exactly know what that does as i never needed it)

If they are painted - be sure there is no paint overspray on backside of splitter where tape will be.

Install works best when all parts/tape are warm. If all else fails - you can use BetaLink Adhesive, but that is fairly permanent and if you ever want to remove the splitters it will more than likely damage the paint underneath while removing them.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

will be attaching mine soon too that got from jbspeed, did you sand the back of the splitter since it's a rough surface so if you don't the tape might not stick, I intend doing that. Which 3m tape did you use? Also once you put them on would suggest you hold it with some cloth tape for a day so that it sticks well. Is yours pre-lci or lci?..Pre-lci splitters should be easier to stay on.
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #6
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
buy your own 3M exterior mounting tape because i find the ones coming from vendors to be weaker.

also you should sand down the inside of the splitter to have maximum contact with the tape and the surface of the splitter and bumper.

it sounds like the strong sun is loosening the 3M's adhesive, theres no way around it except for Betalink. if you drive a e90 LCI then you're better off with betalink because of the design of the splitters; its not the same as the pre-lci splitters. Over time, heat, downforce and gravity will pull your lci splitters down.
      10-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
ctv
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Best to clean all surfaces that are gonna touch the tape well with rubbing alcohol to remove any wax, grease, etc. They also make a 3M Adhesive Promoter (don't exactly know what that does as i never needed it)
Will rubbing alcohol damage the paint on my bumper over time? I think the reason why it's falling off might be the wax that's still on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
will be attaching mine soon too that got from jbspeed, did you sand the back of the splitter since it's a rough surface so if you don't the tape might not stick, I intend doing that. Which 3m tape did you use? Also once you put them on would suggest you hold it with some cloth tape for a day so that it sticks well. Is yours pre-lci or lci?..Pre-lci splitters should be easier to stay on.
I didn't sand the back of the splitters. All I did was wipe it down. The 3M tape I used was the one they gave me. BUT I recommend trying this instead...

http://www.acehardware.com/largeImag...3-938320dt.jpg
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
buy your own 3M exterior mounting tape because i find the ones coming from vendors to be weaker.
This is true....and put on as much 3M tape as you can on the contact areas.

I had trouble with one side of the JBSpeed splitters and could not get it to work properly even after taking it off.

Due to an minor accident I had to get new splitters quick and I went with the MR (think that's the name) from a BP member and they fit much better. No issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
ctv
First Lieutenant
Rep

is it mine? or does the bottom of the splitters sort of curve down like it has a little bump?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
The JBspeed splitters also do NOT have cut outs for the screws and snap rivots under the airdam. Others have them pre-drilled which helps during lighting upgrade installs.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Prep the surfaces well with IPA, apply 3M mounting tape (red), heat up both surfaces till warm with a hair dryer and clamp them on overnight with c-clamps. You can drill in some screws for extra reassurance but the mounting tape should be sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Go to HOMEDEPOT and get the heavey duty double sided tape the color is RED... that should do it... ad screws at the bottom too..
Appreciate 0