E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Tuning - Valvetronic

07-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

N55 Tuning - Valvetronic

the purpose of this thread was to open discussions on the tuning potential of the N55's valvetronic system specifically (hopefully with the input from some of the tuners).

so according to BMW, the valvetronic system is supposed to increase fuel efficiency and performance at the same time. based on a number of reviews, this system also makes the engine run smoother.

my question is, can N55 tuning to the valvetronic system provide any additional power? or is this primarily geared toward fuel efficiency? my guess (based on zero factual knowledge), is that tuning valvetronic will provide little or no gains but i really hope i am wrong.

if it is possible to tune the valvetronic system for more power, lets have a discussion on how it works and how it can be improved for power.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
allanawe
Rep
Drives: 325i

Well First off here is a dumbed down explination of valvetronic. [u2b]http://www.youtube.com/v/zW8rub-yuZQ[/u2b] So it would seem that if you were able tune valvetronic it would be equal to adding a set of cams. But Valvetronic changes the lift and duration at different engine speeds. While with a traditional cam swap, the lift and duration is predetermined. so i wonder if the tune (fuel map and ignition timing) would also have to vary in relation to where valvetronic cam is located. basically what im trying to say is i think the tune would have to change for every possible combo of lift and duration as opposed to a normal tune when lift and duration is preset.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
allanawe
Rep
Drives: 325i

I think the vid got screwed up heres the link

also the second pic was some engineers rendering of valvetronic from this page..www.usautoparts.net/bmw/pics/engine/3021_832.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

i have a pretty good grasp on how the valvetronic system works (as much as a non-engineer can have) but i was wondering if extra power can be coaxed out of this engine by tuning the valvetronic system without completely screwing up emissions or fuel efficiency.

kinda hoping that we can hear from some of the tuners on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Tuners are still trying to figure it out completely themselves...
Appreciate 0