BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Germany: What are you favorite driving roads???

For those of us who just like to go out and drive the German countryside, what are your favorite roads to drive on?

This one I came up with today, it was a blast. I started near Vogelweh heading south towards Schopp. It really starts after climbing the near impossibly steep hill in the center of Schopp. After you get out of Schoop, the roads are nice and twisty. I wanted to go all the way up to Hochspeyer, but B-48 was closed. So they put me on an awesome detour with tight hairpins and awesome corners.

Schopp to Johanniskreuz is that really narrow road-type that you can only really fit 1 1/2 cars on, lol. So passing on-coming traffic can pucker up your butthole sometimes, haha. Once you get on the B-48, its a real 2 lane road, but there are some random slow spots (speed limit wise) because of really tight turns. But then there is that lovely detour.

*BTW, as my disclaimer, I remained on my side of the road and speeding on these tight narrow roads was really not necessary (most of the route is 100kph).

This is my run today, Google says 1 hour, but I think they were a bit off.

This is what I want to try in the next few days. On the map it looks incredible. I'll give it a try and let you guys know, unless someone wants to roll with me.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I have heard the Schwarzwald-Hochstraße is a famous and challenging road. starts at like 250m and ends up near 1100 meters! Nice round abouts going up the mountain passes.

http://www.schwarzwald.com/hochstrasse/

I have always wanted to drive the old Glockner Pass (Großglockner Hochalpenstraße) thru the Alps (Germany/Austrian borders). I have always had a thing for the old Silver Arrow cars and they raced in this area. Ferdinand Porsche also test dorve the first batch of Beetle (KdF wagon) cars on this pass - I believe. Now a days the modern Autobahn takes you around the old mountain passes of yesteryear.

http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hochalpenstrasse/

But for me... since I live in Bayern... and really in Franken-land... my first choice to get lost is always in the Frankische Schweiz, right in my very own backyard! This is the area between Nuernberg/Bayreuth/Bamberg. basically also the Bier (Beer) Capital of the world bc we have so many Breweries in this area. You can look that up in the Guniess Book of Records! lol

http://www.fraenkische-schweiz.com/bilderbogen/en.html

take care,
David
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
You need to come ride with me before I leave here. I live in Trippstadt. Those are some of my back roads where I test my camera mounts after I build them . The road to Hochspeyer is "somewhat" closed. Semi's cannot go through, but.....cars can. They just repaved the road not long ago and its gorgeous.

One thing you really have to be careful though is with the Polezei. They have been setting up alot, and I DO MEAN ALOT of camera traps all through some of those areas to include L500 (Trippstadt) and as recent as today on 270 after leaving Hohenecken. Just be careful. If you want, we can plan for something after they pick up my stuff from the house which is next week (3-7 May) and i'll keep the camera mounts

Nick
      04-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
You need to come ride with me before I leave here. I live in Trippstadt. Those are some of my back roads where I test my camera mounts after I build them . The road to Hochspeyer is "somewhat" closed. Semi's cannot go through, but.....cars can. They just repaved the road not long ago and its gorgeous.

One thing you really have to be careful though is with the Polezei. They have been setting up alot, and I DO MEAN ALOT of camera traps all through some of those areas to include L500 (Trippstadt) and as recent as today on 270 after leaving Hohenecken. Just be careful. If you want, we can plan for something after they pick up my stuff from the house which is next week (3-7 May) and i'll keep the camera mounts

Nick

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah I saw the email that went around base saying there was a new one just off base on that road where that pool is. I didnt see the camera though. I dont usually speed, but I've never ever had a speeding ticket in my life until I came here, haha.

I didnt speed on 270, but I might have a little on 48. I saw the detour sign for trucks, but then a little further up the road I saw one for cars too. So instead of risking it (becuz my German sucks, lol), I turned. And thank god I did, haha. That detour was awesome!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I plan on doing the Grossglockner when I go "South of the Border" to Zell am See area - and do my Porsche homage trip.

There is a great (small) private museum there: Pfeifhofer Porsche Museum. This is where Porsche built thier first 48 356 cars from '48 until '52(?). Then they moved back to Zuffenhausen when the US Army gave back their factory to the Porsche's.

http://www.auto-museum.at/museum/mus...rie/index.html

Ferdinand and Ferry are also burried at the family home there in Zell am See.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Next time you guys hit up the Ring take the A60 towards spangdahlem from the A1 just before Wittlich and get on the B257 and take that thru Daun all the way to the ring. It is perfectly paved and the scenery is gorgeous. I don't think it adds too much time to your drive either.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I've pretty much done them - all. But in my Honda Odyssey with the family (sadly the kids were watching a movie instead)

There is so many camera's and speed traps now that the fun just isn't what it used to be. Even on these amazing roads, you're either stuck (slowed) with high traffic or really only get a sprint of velocity before you gotta slow down again because you see a cop pulling someone over. The drive itself with the views are amazing! but then again, so are the toll prices - geez.

Sometimes, I simply have more fun on back country roads and for me, everything here in Germany is an amazing view.

The Ring is less than an hours drive- but nobody ever wants to accompany me- damn scaredy cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Yeah, I know I'm lucky. The Ring is exhilerating but defenitely putting some wear on my ride. I have stock RFT's and suspension which puts me behind the pack. In fact, I'll most likely be there tomorrow for a few laps.

You're right, lot's of good people out there:
The first round I took in my 1 was an awesome day (weather wise) and I met this older gent from Alabama that drags mustangs out there. He had never been on the Ring and was awaiting a round he purchased to be taken in the GTR. I offered him to accompany me and off we went. Of course we were both thrilled but he then took his lap in the GTR - he was polite and didn't say much, but you can imagine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
Ghostbear
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135is 09

I have to drive this once although swizerland is not germany
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...f-4_164141.htm

Also http://www.tomtomgreatestroutes.com/ has a nice route near the ring.
      05-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
^^^^ I've been on part of that route from the 'ring. It's nice....and I DO MEAN NICE!!!!!!!!

I would definetly be in for it if we got together and did Stelvio pass a sone big 1Addicts family. I have the Mounts for the cameras for video
      05-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Lowroller
Germany
Rep
Drives: 118i Hatch Coupe

@elsabor: you life in trippstadt??? its about 10 minutes away from my hometown (little "dorf") its called Donsieders. Its in the neighbourhood from Waldfischbach-Burgalben (i think in english it sounds very funny)

the "johanniskreuz" road is very famous!! But on every weekend cops are watching you

Sorry for my bad english.. i´m german
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
DAMN!!!!! That is close, hahahaa. I love those back roads as they make for great cruising roads and it's the same roads I test my camera mounts on. But on the 17th, I will be leaving this gorgeous side of the country to go to the Bavaria side and start my new life there.

Your english isn't bad at all. On the other hand, my german is horrendous. After a total of 8 years here, all I know how say is "Halo, Danke, Guten Tag, and my favorite "Ein crystal weizen bitte"
      05-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I think some tunnel blasting is in order tonight.

Does anyone know if there are speed cameras in the tunnel on the A62 just south of Landstuhl?

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Not in the tunnel but after the tunnel they like to set up the Video cameras with the sensors.
      05-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Construction was miserable there anyways

Appreciate 0