E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Why did you pick the 3 series over a A4, C class and IS?

03-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Why did you pick the 3 series over a A4, C class and IS?

Just curious to know why you HongKongers prefer the 3 series over the rival A4, C Class and the IS250/350/F. Is it the E36/46/90's inherent sportiness? It's performance and handling? The steering feel? I'm told many HKers buy a luxe brand for status (nothing necessarily wrong with that). But I take it members here don't just buy for status alone? So what made you attracted to the 3 series?

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-10-2010 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
E93DT
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
2009 E93 Cabrio  [0.00]
For me, target not over 3500cc with 4 seats at least. Price around 60-80 HK$ and luxury + Fun driving. All those added up together and differnet sources of public information, the result showing in front of me is 335. Performance and handling is my first choice! Open top just want to try another feeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Wolfman, to be honest, your similar question can be on Audi/Merc/Lexus forums but asking why they pick over BMW

You should also find our roads here are quite busy with A3/4/5, IS, and C class.
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_croco View Post
Wolfman, to be honest, your similar question can be on Audi/Merc/Lexus forums but asking why they pick over BMW

You should also find our roads here are quite busy with A3/4/5, IS, and C class.
Yes, that's why, I want to know how Hkers decide to pick a bimmer over a Audi? What are the reasons why the E90 appeals over a A4? Is the particular preferences for sportiness? Handling? Bmw isn't the best in ride comfort compared to say Lexus, so there must be other reasons to pick a bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Minichamps
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Delivered June 27 '07

RWD & steering
      03-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichamps View Post
RWD & steering
+1 for me :-)
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 Estroil Blue II

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
The Brand >_< ,.....ha ha.....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #8
phawx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92/FG2

Main reason: I set out to have a sports coupe/sedan with minimum 4 seats and a good engine, that satisfies me in terms of its looks as well.

1) I always liked BMWs since my Dad's old E30 325i.
2) I used to own an E46 in Canada, and I loved the car for daily drive (it wasn't bad for what it was while on the track either, but I don't think I'd ever get an xDrive again)

As for comparing with other brands:
- My mother drives an IS250 already and it's a light and numb (but comfortable) ride;
- I personally was never fond of the MB brand (could have been cos of their cheap feeling cars during their JV with Chrysler);
- I previously owned an Audi TT, and as nice as it was to look at + the interior materials felt, it rattled like putting a marble in an empty soup can whenever I drove it hard. The B8 A4 is too big, and the S5 is too gas-guzzling.

(Click on sig for my car's development thread)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Minichamps
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Delivered June 27 '07

Why buy BMW? But this one is a bike
http://www.funnyplace.org/stream.php?id=14678
      03-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
superdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i E92 SG

Was actually seriously considering an IS250 at first, but I found that it just didn't seem to be worth the price. It's still just a Japanese car, sure it's nice inside, but I feel the same way about Acura TL, basically a jazzed up Accord.

BMW is a BMW. I've never been happier with my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting responses. Speaking personally, I've also actually tested some of the 3 serie's rivals in the entry-level sport sedan segment to see which is the best before settling on my 335i.

1. IS 250
Lexus is known to offer great ride comfort and silence from the engine. But in terms of driving enjoyment, it detaches you from the road. It feel more like a appliance then a true driving machine. It's bland designs also did'nt trigger my interest or passion. The IS 250 however, offers much improvement. Not only does this "finesse" design looks alot better, but more importantly, in the area of driver involvement, I was surprised at how well it handled through the twisties. It's sportiness is getting closer to the 3 series. But in terms of steering feel, it still lacks behind Bmw.

2. C Class
The currrent C class is sportier than the previous c class. It's design and front fascia also gives a more youthful and modern avantgarde look then the previous one. Driving-wise, the new C class retains the comfort that Mercedes is famous for yet also offer a more involving drive. The older Mercs were known for heavy throttle, this new one is better and much easier to step on the gas. However, in terms of overall peformance, it remains behind the 3 series.

3. A4
The new A4 with it's large grille instills more passion in it's design. Despite being a FWD car, it's performance and handling is also very well done. The quattro with it's four-wheel drive also offers great handling through the curves for example. It's interior is also superior to Bmw. The rich leather offers a sense of exclusive feel that Audi is known for. Yet the steering feel is rather numb and you don't get the same sense of control you have in the 3 series. It's tendency to understeer from hard turns is also not very good compare to the more neutral handling of the 3 series.

4. S5
Not strictly a direct comparison to the E90 sedan, more to the E92 coupe. The S5 looks stunning and more attractive than the relatively plain E92 coupe. It made me turnaround and just admired it. It is also great in acceleration, you step on it and it just goes. I just loved how the g force pin you to seat everytime I step on the gas. But again, the steering feel is numb compared to the 3 series and you don't get the same sense of control you have in Bmw.

5. 335i
No surprise, the best of the bunch. It offers the best balance of performance, handling and daily driveabiliy. It offers precise feedback and stick to turns as if it is glued to the road. It's interior is relatively plain, but that's how I liked it. The relative simplicity of the interior translates to a driver-orientated focus. You don't have to fiddle around with all the buttons you have in Audi. You can just focus on driving. It is perfectly responsive and just know how you want to drive when you want to drive. In short, the best all-round entry sports sedan. It's still the benchmark.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #12
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

Wolfman, great compairisons! I agree with a lot of what you said.

Let me take a go at this....

Budget: approx. 300k-500k (I know this is a big range, thats why I went through so many different cars before I chose one)
Seating: 4 people
Type: Coupe or Sedan
Main reason for this car: Wanted an alternative to the Porsche Cayenne that my mom drives, so basically a smaller car than the Cayenne (not a hard thing to do haha).

Cars looked that we considered:

Volkswagen R32:

We wanted to find a cheap 2nd hand, but there were none in the market, and didnt want to spend so much on a new one. The specs are awesome, the AWD/4WD was a big plus for the fun factor. Looks great, and definitely is a smaller car than the Cayenne.

Volkswagen Scirocco:
I really like this car, I would totally get it if it didn't come out so late. Would have preferred the Scirocco R version than the 2.0, but the 2.0 already looks really fun. However, the price for this car in Hong Kong is not exactly what I was expecting when this car is priced somewhat below the GTI/R32 in other countries.

Audi A3/S3 and A4/S4:

My friend has a 06 A4 1.8T and I really did not enjoy the whole feel to the car. The engine was under power, which didn't really suit a "sports sedan". The steering was awful compared to BMW handling. I felt like I was driving a Japanese car whenever I was steering. I have heard that their newer models have better handling and steering, but I cannot lie that I am extremely bias towards Audi since I love my BMW. On top of that, I'm starting to see a lot more "a-hole" Audi drivers on the road (Hong Kong and US). They're starting to take over the stereotypical "BMW DRIVER" HAHAHA.

IS250:
My friend has this car already and I haven't heard too many good reviews about this car except for the fact that its a good deal for all the stuff that you're getting in options. However, my friend always complained about the engine being horrible. Also, I'm not a big fan of the light handling in the IS.

Audi TT (2.0/3.2):
Really liked the most recent TT, big step up from the previous one. This one was aggressive and cool looking. There is close to none trunk space, but who complains about a sports cars trunk space? You can call me weird but I don't like how directions -/+ is the opposite for the steptronic in Audis, and I'm too use to the BMW way where pushing up is - and pulling it down is +.

BMW 128i (coupe), 130i (hatch)
I LOVE THE 1 SERIES COUPE. BUT, it was a bit too expensive compared to the E92/E93. And I really don't like how the hatchback 1 series looks like, it looks WEIRD to me. But again, thats only my personal opinion.

BMW Z4 (2.3/3.0) - Current model
This car is beautiful, its great, and I would still choose it over the 330i, but BMW had a good deal going on for the 2008 models, and the 330i was more "useful" to the family. Gotta have that trade in life don't we?

Mercedes C (estate)
Current MB handling is totally crap. The old school big box MB had such great handling and feel for the car. The current ones are just too comfortable, and look at the # of C classes in HK!

BMW 323/325/330/335 (coupe/convertible)
Ended up choose the E92 330i because it was relatively less seen in Hong Kong and the fact that it has a great engine with great power and a nice kick. It wasn't ridiculously fast like the 335 (which I test drove and thought it was getting a bit mechanical). The 330i was still very natural and had a great feeling when you step on it. The 330i was on sale at BMW for a much more reasonable price when you add all the options that the 330 had and the 323/5 didn't have. The 323/5's didnt have a lot of options that I thought should have been standard on all BMW cars like the electric foldable mirrors, parking sensors, and a couple others that I dont remember. But I just felt that the 330 had just enough power to have fun in HK and yet be a good second car :P I know I'm very biased with my decisions but I hope you enjoyed how I came to my conclusion of getting the 330i.

-kookieshk.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #13
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cool comparison, kookiesk, I've always wanted to try the TT.
I was close to getting the S5, it was just gorgeous to me. But when I compare it with the bimmer, the 3 series is still superior. The fact that the S5 cost a boatload was a also a factor
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #14
phawx
Private First Class
Rep

You mean this gen TT right? It's a good car but doesn't fit into the sport sedan / 4-seater coupe catagory.

Lookswise, lightly modded I think the TT is much more of an attention-grabber than the 3 series, since there aren't nearly as many on the roads of HK. It's a good, light car and is a capable handler when compared to a 323i, but when pitched VS a 328 or 335 then it becomes a very tough fight stock-for-stock.

Trunk-space is actually a lot... especially since the rear seats fold down very easily.

As for the +/-, if you have DSG I'm sure you'll use the paddle shifters instead of the stick. It's much quicker, and I find the + right, - left setup is more intuitive and accepted than for AT BMWs that push-out for -, pull-in for +.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
css
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phawx View Post
Main reason: I set out to have a sports coupe/sedan with minimum 4 seats and a good engine, that satisfies me in terms of its looks as well.

1) I always liked BMWs since my Dad's old E30 325i.
2) I used to own an E46 in Canada, and I loved the car for daily drive (it wasn't bad for what it was while on the track either, but I don't think I'd ever get an xDrive again)

As for comparing with other brands:
- My mother drives an IS250 already and it's a light and numb (but comfortable) ride;
- I personally was never fond of the MB brand (could have been cos of their cheap feeling cars during their JV with Chrysler);
- I previously owned an Audi TT, and as nice as it was to look at + the interior materials felt, it rattled like putting a marble in an empty soup can whenever I drove it hard. The B8 A4 is too big, and the S5 is too gas-guzzling.
my dad picked the s5 because of its look, he said the 3 series is everywhere and looks dull..(he doesnt care about driving pleasure / gas consumption etc) so the look attracted him...i tried to hold him from buying the s5 and told him to consider c63 / m3 4door...and he said... 你要架車咁快黎做乜...then i was speechless hopefully my dad will consider the new 3 series in the future as i always wanted to try bmw's "handling" but nevertheless, the s5 is a great looking car and has the v8 grunt...i was only disappointed about the color choice..originally we thought of white / brilliant black and the quartz grey (the light grey similar to c63's) and the sales told us there is this special grey which is rare and looks nice...and it turned out to be really dull...so now its always sitting in the carpark
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oda View Post
my dad picked the s5 because of its look, he said the 3 series is everywhere and looks dull..(he doesnt care about driving pleasure / gas consumption etc) so the look attracted him...i tried to hold him from buying the s5 and told him to consider c63 / m3 4door...and he said... 你要架車咁快黎做乜...then i was speechless hopefully my dad will consider the new 3 series in the future as i always wanted to try bmw's "handling" but nevertheless, the s5 is a great looking car and has the v8 grunt...i was only disappointed about the color choice..originally we thought of white / brilliant black and the quartz grey (the light grey similar to c63's) and the sales told us there is this special grey which is rare and looks nice...and it turned out to be really dull...so now its always sitting in the carpark
No worries, Oda. When you graduate, get a decent paying job, saved up and eventually you can get your own 3 series. The fact that there are quite a number of 3 series around means you can get a relatively cheap second-hand one. That's how I got the E90 325i in Hong Kong. It wasn't as good as the 335i I have back in the States, but it's still great fun to drive. If you do some checking there should be some E46 M3s around. I personally quite like the the performance and look of the E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

It is quite true to what your dad said. To me the 335i is probably the fastest I'll ever need in Hong Kong, or just a normal 911. I forgot to add that I also considered the A5/S5, but the A5 was just kinda ehhh and the S5 was way out of my budget. The S5 is a great looking car, and A LOT bigger in size. However, I would pick the 6 series over the S5 even if the S5 is cheaper. Anyways, getting a fast car in Hong Kong is mostly for looks, I've driven around with my friends who drive much faster cars than the one I have and we still have a great time together. The best part about getting a fast car is probably because of the much better specs you get for the suspension/handling etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #18
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookieshk View Post
It is quite true to what your dad said. To me the 335i is probably the fastest I'll ever need in Hong Kong, or just a normal 911. I forgot to add that I also considered the A5/S5, but the A5 was just kinda ehhh and the S5 was way out of my budget. The S5 is a great looking car, and A LOT bigger in size. However, I would pick the 6 series over the S5 even if the S5 is cheaper. Anyways, getting a fast car in Hong Kong is mostly for looks, I've driven around with my friends who drive much faster cars than the one I have and we still have a great time together. The best part about getting a fast car is probably because of the much better specs you get for the suspension/handling etc...
Yeah, I agree. For Hong Kong driving, absolute top speed is a moot point, since there is nowhere to really gun the engine at max rpm for any sustained time. More important then having the highest speed is low-end torque (for overtaking) and the handling. The narrow roads also call for a quick and precise steering response, something which Bmw excels at. I do like Audi A4/S4 and A5/S5 alot. I agonized on whether to pick a Audi or BMW, but at the end of the day, nothing beats the handling of the Bmw 3 series.

Of course, in an ideal world, I would like to have both the BMW and Audi, but unless I get some huge bonus, I am quite happy with my 3 series.

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-12-2010 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 04:06 AM   #19
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

IMHO, I don't think my car will get less attention than a moded TT , many moded 3er here in our groups also the same

Quote:

You mean this gen TT right? It's a good car but doesn't fit into the sport sedan / 4-seater coupe catagory.

Lookswise, lightly modded I think the TT is much more of an attention-grabber than the 3 series, since there aren't nearly as many on the roads of HK. It's a good, light car and is a capable handler when compared to a 323i, but when pitched VS a 328 or 335 then it becomes a very tough fight stock-for-stock.

Trunk-space is actually a lot... especially since the rear seats fold down very easily.

As for the +/-, if you have DSG I'm sure you'll use the paddle shifters instead of the stick. It's much quicker, and I find the + right, - left setup is more intuitive and accepted than for AT BMWs that push-out for -, pull-in for +.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
phawx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
IMHO, I don't think my car will get less attention than a moded TT , many moded 3er here in our groups also the same
Renus, not talking about your car la... my TT was quite stock, didn't mod it too much (and the body kit I got was a big hassle cos it didn't fit! Tell you more about it at the next meet if u ask me)...

But stock for stock, the TT catches a lot more attention. I realized that when I first got the BMW. No one even turned to look at me, versus even with stock TT and BBS RE rims... for me though, it's actually a good thing that the 3 series is more understated... I felt very uneasy with ppl staring at my car so often...

Of course the TT can't compare performance-wise, nor in looks when the 335i is as modded as yours LOL...

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I do agree with u TT is catching more attention than 3 series, but when there is a E92 and top opened E93, eye-catching is not less than a TT, I mean all in stock package

Yup please share with me your story on next meet

Quote:
Renus, not talking about your car la... my TT was quite stock, didn't mod it too much (and the body kit I got was a big hassle cos it didn't fit! Tell you more about it at the next meet if u ask me)...

But stock for stock, the TT catches a lot more attention. I realized that when I first got the BMW. No one even turned to look at me, versus even with stock TT and BBS RE rims... for me though, it's actually a good thing that the 3 series is more understated... I felt very uneasy with ppl staring at my car so often...

Of course the TT can't compare performance-wise, nor in looks when the 335i is as modded as yours LOL...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 03:50 AM   #22
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
It's been my impression that Audi has been coming up the ranks of premium auto brands very strongly over the last few years. Before, I would not even consider a Audi, but now I will seriously consider it everytime. It might be it's new design language which produce head-turning models like the TT and S5. It may also be it's quattro and new sporty emphasis. I am still at core a Bimmer fan, and BMW's RWD is still superior to the FWD of Audi. But Audi is becoming a serious threat to BMW and even the 3 series. But I have faith in BMW, I think they will remain the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Appreciate 0