E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Speeding ticket.

02-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Speeding ticket.

A few weeks ago I got a ticket for going 71 in a 25, and for illegal passing. Does anyone know any good ticket lawyers in South Florida. The cop was pissed because I saw him in his spot with yellow fog lights on so I made a quick turn into a neighborhood before he had a chance to turn sirens on and eventually caught up. The thing is the speed limit where I was speeding is 30 not 25. And when he asked me if I knew how fast I was going I said 60. He said CLOSER to 70, not 71. I know its still really bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Marcadelic
Instagram: @Marcadelic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

wow, sorry but that seems alittle, um, fast lol, i dont even know of a 25 around my house where I would be able to go 70. Did you get our licenses revoked?

and to answer your question, no.

| New: 2018 F80 M3 | Old: 335i / 335is | Instagram: Marcadelic |
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdtitans10 View Post
wow, sorry but that seems alittle, um, fast lol, i dont even know of a 25 around my house where I would be able to go 70. Did you get our licenses revoked?

and to answer your question, no.
Its really easy to go fast there. It's a long road. The court date is March 9
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Marcadelic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW328_ View Post
i c, well good luck

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i c, well good luck
Thanks. I hope they dont suspend my license and just let me do traffic school
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Marcadelic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I hope they dont suspend my license and just let me do traffic school
Thats a long shot, I dont think your going to get that luckey, but then again if you get a good enough lawyer who knows...

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats a long shot, I dont think your going to get that luckey, but then again if you get a good enough lawyer who knows...
Or if the cop doesnt show up
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
jesdan14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335I Coupe  [0.00]
If you didn't already find a ticket clinic please PM me I know a guy he is a lawyer for that big firm in City Place and i think in Boca. The owner became a judge now so all his tickets pretty much get dropped. As long as its your first ticket or second ticket, He got 3 tickets dropped for me all being over 400.00. His fee i think is 80 or 85.00. Pm me and ill reply with the number.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
DJ.E92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sucks bro... I got a ticket for 75 in a 40 and almost went to jail... I was in handcuffs for an hour before the cop let me go. Gave me a ticket for 59 in a 40... still very pricey...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
I've done mines with Alex Hana. I actually called in today for another one. Its $89.
My next investment its a Valentine 1, i suggest you do the same. I'm tire of giving free money to the county. lmao.

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
never, ever, ever answer that question a cop asks you.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your ticket, but 71 in a 25 MPH zone is excessive. Gotta layoff the lead foot there.
I always tell myself that getting a ticket is like giving FREE money to the government. Because, basically that's what you're doing. With the economy the way it is these days, the cops aren't going to give anyone much of a break because of how strapped for cash local and state governments are and so any money they can get is a plus.

With regards to court, did you get a lawyer for court or did you just set a court date?
If it's just a court date, the proceeding may be the same as it is here in Tampa (Hillsborough County).
This is what will happen. On your court date, don't expect the officer who gave you the ticket to be there. More on that later, but when you get there, you will be among a large group of people waiting to be called upon by the judge.
Before the proceedings start, the Judge will explain the court rules, process, and what you should expect when he makes his or her decision.
For example, if you've had a suspended license, unknowingly, then it will be dismissed, and the court cost is waived, if you show proof receipt from the drivers license office that you got a new license.

Now, you have three options to plead: NOT GUILTY, NO CONTEST (NOLO CONTENDRE), or GUILTY.
NOT GUILTY - Claims innocence
NO CONTEST - Will not contest charge, but neither admits guilt nor claims innocence.
GUILTY - Committed or admits to the crime

If you plead NO CONTEST or GUILTY, no points go on your license and you WILL NOT have to attend drivers school. In addition, the Judge will enter Adjudication Withheld to your driving record and all you'll have to pay is whatever the court cost the judge decides to give you. Usually, it is less than the amount of the citiation. Thats it, you're done.
Now, if you've had mulitiple tickets within a 1 or 2 year period, and you plead guilty or no contest, the judge may have you take defensive driving school, but points won't be assessed. However, you'll still have to pay whatever the court cost the judge assigns.

If you're absolutely positively sure you're not at fault and you have the proof, then you plead NOT GUILTY. What the judge will do is reschedule you for another court date and the arresting officer will be contacted to appear in court on the specified date. Only then, you hope is that the officer will not show up. Basically, you have a 50/50 chance the arresting officer will be there and the majority of the time the ruling will go in the officer's favor if they do appear. So, be prepared with all the evidence that proves you're not at fault because, if you lose, then you may have to pay the fine as well as court costs, go to driving school, and may or may not get points assessed, again, depending on the judge's decision.

The proceedings may be a while, depending on how many people are there and when your last name is called as they typially call names from A to Z), so be prepared to sit for 30 minutes to an hour or more. You're required to be silent and NOT talk on your cell phone while court is in session, but if you have an ipod or iphone, blackberry, or droid phone, you can browse the internet, text, or play games to kill time, but keep the volume down or put it on mute.

Also, when you go to court, dress appropriately as in business casual and not as if you just hopped out of bed all grungy ooking. It doesn't look good in front of the judge to be wearing a T-shirt, shorts, sneakers, flip flops, and a baseball cap. If you look professional, then that would appear to the judge that you're respectful and he or she me cut you a break.

Best of luck.

Last edited by jt335i; 02-24-2010 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Since when does pleading guilty let you walk away from points? If you admit you're at fault I'm pretty sure points are fair game..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
ThePrinzeofcatz
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i MT

hmm i cant seen to remember the number but maybe if you look it up on google or something, the guys name is jason diamond, apparently he is very good with traffic tickets, good luck, and may the lord have mercy on your soul
      02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Since when does pleading guilty let you walk away from points? If you admit you're at fault I'm pretty sure points are fair game..
No! Not necessarily.
I know because I've been there and done that in traffic court and seen people plead Guilty and the judge will withhold adjudicaton, assess no points, not require attending driver school, and pay court cost. That is the standard whether a person pleads Guilty or No Contest in Hillsborough County. Again, I don't know if traffic courts are the same in other counties, but that's how it is here. Now, depending on the judge's decision after reviewing a person's driving record, yes, he or she can could possibly change it, but I did not see anyone get that when I was in court.

However, let's say that the judge sees in a person's driving record that they have had several citations within very short time period, less than 1 or 2 years, then he or she may assess points and require the person to attend driving school.
But usually if someone has had no prior tickets, or one ticket in the last several years prior to the one they're in court for, and they plead Guilty or No Contest then they get the standard adjudicaton will be withheld, assessed no points, no driver school, and pay court cost.

I went to court in October 2009 for a speeding violation and pleaded No Contest. My court cost was $50 less than my citiation, but I was happy that Adjudicaton was withheld, no points assessed, and I did not have to attend driver school. Yeah. I could've plead guilty, but the first words that came out of my mouth were No Contest.

Last edited by jt335i; 02-24-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

If you like to got 50 miles an hour over the speed limit which is retarded , get a radar thats my advice. And since you were going so fast I seriously doubt it will be dropped or wont get points.
      02-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Either way, I'm pretty sure that pleading guilty to traffic violations opens up the possibly for your insurance company to raise your rates accordingly, whether or not the judge assesses points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
No! Not necessarily.
I know because I've been there and done that in traffic court and seen people plead Guilty and the judge will withhold adjudicaton, assess no points, not require attending driver school, and pay court cost. That is the standard whether a person pleads Guilty or No Contest in Hillsborough County. Again, I don't know if traffic courts are the same in other counties, but that's how it is here. Now, depending on the judge's decision after reviewing a person's driving record, yes, he or she can could possibly change it, but I did not see anyone get that when I was in court.

However, let's say that the judge sees in a person's driving record that they have had several citations within very short time period, less than 1 or 2 years, then he or she may assess points and require the person to attend driving school.
But usually if someone has had no prior tickets, or one ticket in the last several years prior to the one they're in court for, and they plead Guilty or No Contest then they get the standard adjudicaton will be withheld, assessed no points, no driver school, and pay court cost.

I went to court in October 2009 for a speeding violation and pleaded No Contest. My court cost was $50 less than my citiation, but I was happy that Adjudicaton was withheld, no points assessed, and I did not have to attend driver school. Yeah. I could've plead guilty, but the first words that came out of my mouth were No Contest.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iMIAMI View Post
If you like to got 50 miles an hour over the speed limit which is retarded , get a radar thats my advice. And since you were going so fast I seriously doubt it will be dropped or wont get points.
A radar detector won't help anyone going 50 miles over the speed limit no matter if it's in a 25MPH zone or 55 MPH zone. There's not much time to slow down if you get zapped. Besides, if the cop uses a laser, they can get nab you from a far distance.
The best thing to do is don't speed!

I've seen people in court cited for very excessive speed, and they didn't get points, but had to go to driving school. Once again, it will depend on the judge's decision based on his or her review of the person's driving record.
Usually, they'll give the person a break if they've had a few violations. If they have more, the less of a break they get.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
jesdan14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I Coupe  [0.00]
You need a good radar and zr4 shifters you will be set if you drive smart. I do double the speed limit most of the time and With this investment I got no speeding tickets worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
jesdan14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I Coupe  [0.00]
great I got got word the GF just got pulled over for speeding. Now I will have to take care of this one. AGH
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

you take care for your GF's speeding tickets? wow
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #22
jesdan14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I Coupe  [0.00]
ya, well we live together for a year now and been together for 3 years so. Just found out ticket was only 5 over 131.00 Ticket clinic 75.00 hopefully remove points. So ill pay the 75.00
Appreciate 0