BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

01-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Any body want to post E9X post Spring/coil-over head light adjustmeny

Fellow M3post members

Is any one game here to post a detailed post suspension upgrade DIY
Head light adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Bump,

Anyone has details!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Don't be a "trier", be a "do'er" - research how it's done and create the DIY yourself.

These forums operate best with the appropriate balance of give and take. Your posts are usually slanted on the "take" side.

Just a suggestion . . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Headlight adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SCM3 View Post
Don't be a "trier", be a "do'er" - research how it's done and create the DIY yourself.

These forums operate best with the appropriate balance of give and take. Your posts are usually slanted on the "take" side.

Just a suggestion . . . .

Well it looks like Im gonna have to do some research!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Not sure what you mean by headlight adjustment, but if you are referring to adjusting the height, if you open the hood and look at the front where the head lights are, beside the caps you open access the halo bulbs you will see a round plastic knob. Turning that will adjust the height. There is one on either side. I am sure if you check on the E90post side there will be some pics etc.

Cant help you with the suspension. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Not sure what you mean by headlight adjustment, but if you are referring to adjusting the height, if you open the hood and look at the front where the head lights are, beside the caps you open access the halo bulbs you will see a round plastic knob. Turning that will adjust the height. There is one on either side. I am sure if you check on the E90post side there will be some pics etc.

Cant help you with the suspension. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I did read the post @E90 and they had some pics. But they never explained which way is up and which way is down. Im a perfectionist and like detailed instructions. I'll do a little bit more-research before i stat toying around with the knobs under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Clockwise (right) lowers the headlights. Counter-clockwise (left), raises them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Thanks for the info! I did read the post @E90 and they had some pics. But they never explained which way is up and which way is down. Im a perfectionist and like detailed instructions. I'll do a little bit more-research before i stat toying around with the knobs under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Counterclockwise raises

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Altos View Post
Clockwise (right) lowers the headlights. Counter-clockwise (left), raises them.
Awesome! Thank you very much. This forum is just awesome you can always find the answers here on M3post
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Wouldn't it have been faster to just go try it? You're going to have to adjust it by eye anyway, not a certain amount of turns, so if it starts going the wrong way turn it the other way?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Please understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Wouldn't it have been faster to just go try it? You're going to have to adjust it by eye anyway, not a certain amount of turns, so if it starts going the wrong way turn it the other way?
Please I am perfectionist. When i do certain tasks i like 100% all the details. So people answered my questions gave me pictures, they stated where the vertical adjusters were and said which way was up and down.

head lights are good to go thanks M3post!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

What does this have to do with perfection? Turning them a little in one direction and then going back the other way isn't going to keep them from getting where they need to be. It just adds 2 seconds to the time you spent doing it. Jeez.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

There also is rules and regulations for headlight adjustment Here in Germany and the EU. You just don't go adjusting to suit your personal needs.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

And there are rules for it in the US. The point that you seem to be missing is even if you wound them all the way up or down first you're still going to end up at the exact same place since you're aiming them at a target. I'm sure the heights are slightly different between the EU and US regulations but the process is the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
And there are rules for it in the US. The point that you seem to be missing is even if you wound them all the way up or down first you're still going to end up at the exact same place since you're aiming them at a target. I'm sure the heights are slightly different between the EU and US regulations but the process is the same.
Take no offense, I just wanted them to be exact. So when I adjusted them per EU/German regulations for vertical as along with horizontal.

No need to reply all is good no offense taken. Just wanted them to be perfect and legal.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

OP, I'm a perfectionist myself too, and I agree with quality_sound; that has NOTHING to do with moving the knob one way or another, since you'd NEVER have known how many turns to move it anyway. Each car is different, and you'd have to fine tune each headlamp independently (maybe one lamp 3-3/8 turns and the other 3-1/4). In fact, you don't even have to count the turns; just stop when adjusted properly, whether you started going down or up initially.

Being a perfectionist only means you want things being perfect at the end. And on that end, you didn't provide any proof of having done that. In order to get a perfect alignment you need specific steps depending where you live, like being 'x' distance from a wall, and cutoff beam being 'y' distance from the ground, not just 'eye-balling' it. Did you do that? If yes, provide measurements used .

And finally, don't you think you should have done a 'perfect' DIY to help others? Just saying . Good day.
Appreciate 0