E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > What do I need to do to sell my car in NJ?

10-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
mdrivera
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 Deep Green Metallic

Question What do I need to do to sell my car in NJ?

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get rid of my old car since I picked up an e90 a few weeks ago and I have someone interested but they live in NJ and I live in PA. I am not familiar with the rules and the steps I need to take to just get my money.

I found this on the NJ MVC site but it seems to simple since in PA I have to go with the person to transfer ownership.

If you sold or bought a vehicle
The Seller must:
  • Remove the plates and surrender them to any MVC Agency or Regional Service Center, unless the plates are being transferred to another vehicle (plates can be transferred to another vehicle but not to another owner)
  • Sign the reverse side of the title and give it to the buyer, with:
  • Buyer's name and address
  • Date of sale
  • Mileage odometer reading (see below)
  • Sale price
  • To avoid a $25 penalty, all titles must be transferred within 10 working days from the date of sale

Really is that it?? I guess just fill out the back of the title, make a bill of sale, and be on my way to the bank??

ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
ChadR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

If you know any dealership people the easiest to to ask them to do a courtesy sale for you. The dealership takes a small fee ($100ish) and does the paperwork for you which makes selling the car out of state very easy.

If you are doing it yourself basically from what I understand you have to fill out the title, have it notarized, do a bill of sale (notarized as well) and the buyer has to deal with the sales tax and such on their end in NJ.

Even if you don't have a dealer do the sale for you it might be worth asking one about what paperwork is needed. Since you are in Philly the dealers are almost certainly knowledgeable about selling a car to a NJ buyer.
Appreciate 0