E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > pricing late 2009

09-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
dave herzog
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

pricing late 2009

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, and please let me know where it would be better... So, is the recession over? Have you guys noticed that used pricing on here and other places seems to have gone up slightly since March or so, instead of coming down as one might expect? After going through some threads from March or so, I feel like the avg. 2007 is going for more now, a half year (or more) later, than it was then. Am I wrong? Missing something? Does this mean we are all doing better these days?

Just curious what you guys think, since there are a lot of people here who know a lot about looking at these cars.

Thanks,

Dave Herzog

PS. I know what it looks like: I'm a noob who should be flamed. For what it's worth: I've been lurking this forum for a while (long before join), and have been following used stuff for years on e46fanatics. Just wanted to start a conversation : )

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Bill97z
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 xDrive

I agree with you. I have been following prices on some BMW's for a yr now, and the CPO's in particular (at dealers) seemed to have increased or stayed the same even though the cars are a model yr older now. Inventory seems to be growing though....so how long can it last without some incentives?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Just came across this post now. Theres probably a reason why noone on the e90post forum wants to reply to your post. I'll do the honors, and don't fret, I won't Flame b/c you might just be a valuable asset to this forum one day and wouldn't want to deter you form the community.

I'm sure this is not rocket science to you, but it really comes down to how the market is moving. Its obvious that we are in somewhat of a 'recession' which means that people are less prone to buy/lease newer cars right now. BMW actually reported losses in the 2nd quartile this year which is the indicator that New car sales are down. But BMW is smart, instead of dropping prices on their beloved 3 series, prices actually went up on new cars! (pls look at increasing MSRP's since 2007) This leads Bmw buyers to the preowned market. This validates your observance how used car prices actually went up! BMW AND private sellers see this demand and are pricing their cars accordingly. If you think the used car market for bimmers are over priced, then by all means buy a new one, but be ready to spend $43k+ on a loaded 328xi and $48k+ on a loaded 335i.

And Be ready to spend $30-35k on a preowned 335i loaded with low miles unless you want to buy one from some chop shop used car auto sales! Good luck with your search!

Just my .2

PS - My friend has been searching for a preowned 328xi coupe for almost 6 mos to one year now, and can't find the right car <20k miles for less than $32k. (just to give you a clear idea of where the BMW market is today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave herzog View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, and please let me know where it would be better... So, is the recession over? Have you guys noticed that used pricing on here and other places seems to have gone up slightly since March or so, instead of coming down as one might expect? After going through some threads from March or so, I feel like the avg. 2007 is going for more now, a half year (or more) later, than it was then. Am I wrong? Missing something? Does this mean we are all doing better these days?

Just curious what you guys think, since there are a lot of people here who know a lot about looking at these cars.

Thanks,

Dave Herzog

PS. I know what it looks like: I'm a noob who should be flamed. For what it's worth: I've been lurking this forum for a while (long before join), and have been following used stuff for years on e46fanatics. Just wanted to start a conversation : )
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennychopra17 View Post
Just came across this post now. Theres probably a reason why noone on the e90post forum wants to reply to your post. I'll do the honors, and don't fret, I won't Flame b/c you might just be a valuable asset to this forum one day and wouldn't want to deter you form the community.

I'm sure this is not rocket science to you, but it really comes down to how the market is moving. Its obvious that we are in somewhat of a 'recession' which means that people are less prone to buy/lease newer cars right now. BMW actually reported losses in the 2nd quartile this year which is the indicator that New car sales are down. But BMW is smart, instead of dropping prices on their beloved 3 series, prices actually went up on new cars! (pls look at increasing MSRP's since 2007) This leads Bmw buyers to the preowned market. This validates your observance how used car prices actually went up! BMW AND private sellers see this demand and are pricing their cars accordingly. If you think the used car market for bimmers are over priced, then by all means buy a new one, but be ready to spend $43k+ on a loaded 328xi and $48k+ on a loaded 335i.

And Be ready to spend $30-35k on a preowned 335i loaded with low miles unless you want to buy one from some chop shop used car auto sales! Good luck with your search!

Just my .2

PS - My friend has been searching for a preowned 328xi coupe for almost 6 mos to one year now, and can't find the right car <20k miles for less than $32k. (just to give you a clear idea of where the BMW market is today)
BMW raising the price of their new cars had nothing to do with their desire to manipulate the price of their used car inventory. That's like saying that they got rid of ashtray lids and took the seatback nets off so that used e9x cars would be more appealing. They raised prices because they had to or thought that they could without an overall negative impact on sales.

The stability of the prices of used cars is simply a matter of supply and demand. With the economy in it's current state, it seems as though more people are wanting to avoid the massive first year depreciation and instead buying late model used cars. Increased demand for these lightly used cars is what's keeping their prices for dropping like today's 401k balances.
Appreciate 0