E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > XM Adapter???

09-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

XM Adapter???

Hi all,

My 2006 330i is prepped for satellite radio but I have never installed the radio due to it being wired for Sirius (I'm an XM fan). I saw a while back that some outfit was designing an adapter so you can hook up XM in your BMW and use the iDrive interface for channel selection. Basiclly, the same functions as Sirius but only with XM. Does anyone know about this interface and if it is available? I did a search but found nothing.

Thanks!

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECENG
Hi all,

My 2006 330i is prepped for satellite radio but I have never installed the radio due to it being wired for Sirius (I'm an XM fan). I saw a while back that some outfit was designing an adapter so you can hook up XM in your BMW and use the iDrive interface for channel selection. Basiclly, the same functions as Sirius but only with XM. Does anyone know about this interface and if it is available? I did a search but found nothing.

Thanks!
Audiovox had announced an integrated solution that was to be ready by now but it has been removed from their website and no new information is available. Our E90s require a MOST bus solution (that is NOT available yet) so don't mistakenly go for a unit that works on E46s. Many shops are "confused" on this issue.

Best solution I've found is using an XM Sportscaster installed in the space where your ashtray is (you have to replace the ashtray with the Sunglass Tray Accessory) and connecting to the shark fin antenna.

This is NOT nearly as complicated as it might appear. Toughest thing about it is removing/replacing the trim on the ashtray cover door in the Sunglass Tray replacement.

Sunglass Tray DIY http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7049

I posted pictures using a Roady XT also, but switched to the Sportscaster setup because it is less cluttered. Final setups are on page three of the thread, but make sure to go through all of the pages if you are going to do it. BTW, total cost for this setup is <$100.00 including the sunglass tray and it works great. Only drawback - you lose the lighter and power provided by the ashtray.

XM Radio http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16587
      09-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

Thanks rlc!
Awesome info, I appreciate it.

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0