E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > BMW Bayside Service: Went in to an fix angel eye, came out with a 12+ inch scratch

08-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Exclamation BMW Bayside Service: Went in to an fix angel eye, came out with a 12+ inch scratch

OK, I know there are a lot of horror stories that come from BMW of Bayside service, but I brought my car there because its location is convenient for me and it's also where I purchased my car from.

Now, I brought my car in this morning to have a burned out angel eye replaced. Upon picking up the car, I inspected it and found three dark scratches and a nick in my rear bumper, and a long thin scratch that stretches for over a foot on the side of my car. I then spoke to my service advisor, who referred me to the service manager. Let me just begin by saying that this guy was RUDE. He spoke down to me and belittled me, accused me of bringing in the car with the scratches to put the blame on BMW of Bayside, told me that they didn't see the scratches when they inspected the car in the morning because my car was dirty (even though I washed it yesterday), and even had the nerve to walk away from me as I was still talking to him. I said, "I'm not going to take the car off the lot unless you repair it, or write in a note stating that you will repair it on my second service visit." He responded by turning his back to me, walking away, and yelling "SO LEAVE IT."

I was appalled by how this situation was handled, especially by the "service manager." I advise everyone to save yourself the trouble and stay away from BMW of Bayside service. I am NEVER bringing my car back there again.

Anyone have suggestions of what I should do? Should I complain to BMW NA?

UPDATE:

Here is a pic of the scratch. It's hard to get the lighting and angle right to capture it on camera, but here's my best attempt. The scratch stretches down the car, further than the camera was able to capture.

At first, the service manager took a look at the scratch and said, "This isn't a problem! A little bit of compound will take this right out." After applying compound and buffing for 10 minutes without luck of repairing the scratch, he retracts his previous statement by saying, "Well, what I applied was just some very light wax... It isn't even compound; just a very light wax-type substance," even though the bottle he was holding was clearly labeled "COMPOUND."

Honestly, when I made him write out a letter, I think he tried to play games with me. In the letter, he noted that there's a scratch on the LEFT REAR QUARTER PANEL, while the scratch is on the RIGHT. I mean, c'mon, are you kidding me?! After reading the note once, I had things that I needed to be changed/added, and I had to fight for those things to be added to the note. Dealing with this SM was really something else, and the tone/attitude that he gave me didn't make it easy to keep my cool.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Last edited by kamek; 08-25-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: updated
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
kushtrim
Major
Albania
Rep
Drives: AW 528 xdrive (AW 335i coupe s

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [10.00]
Yea tell BMW NA about it my friend did that to it could help you ..GOOD LUCK..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

jeez that really sucks
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Wow, that is horrible... My car was slightly damaged at a dealership, and they went above and beyond to take care of it. Sorry to hear that some dealerships don't behave the same way.

Some dealerships take pictures of cars when owners bring them in... see if Bayside does that.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

DEFINITELY call up BMW NA and complain....they will take care of you, I guarantee it.

They are very concerned about the service of their dealerships and won't take that lightly, rest assured. If the car was scratched when you picked it up they should bend head over heels to have it fixed.

I got my car from Bayside as well but take it to Hassel for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 XDrive

Complain to BMW NA & give those fuckers all zeroes on the survey when called....
      08-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

All these dealership horror stories have me absolutely terrified to bring my car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
WoW!!! Sux dude.. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

gosh i hate that place, ive never had to deal with so much grief for warranty coverage, to add to it....my aero lip has 3 scratches on it on the side. most likely happened on a lift or curb.
I can say i will never go there unless i have to.
and the OP who posted to call BMW NA...i didnt recieve much assistance at all. i thought it would be different as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
SM21
Private First Class
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

exactly why I'm taking my car in to service at Westchester... I just picked up a 08 e90 335i at bayside and my onstar wasn't working during "delivery" of the car. They sent me down to service to take a look at it before I left with the car, and i must say they look quite reckless compared to other dealers I've been to.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine

That really sucks at that dealer,Ive taken my car to BMW of Westchester , they usually take a picture of your entire car when you drop it off, I guess for that reason,to protect themselves & you in case of an incident like yours.
I would have called the local police and made an accident report,at least to have the police present and the customers can see,hear what they did to your car , if need be, file a consumer affairs complaint & BBB, then small claims court case, you might win.

Post a pic of the scratch <<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
OK, I know there are a lot of horror stories that come from BMW of Bayside service, but I brought my car there because its location is convenient for me and it's also where I purchased my car from.

Now, I brought my car in this morning to have a burned out angel eye replaced. Upon picking up the car, I inspected it and found three dark scratches and a nick in my rear bumper, and a long thin scratch that stretches for over a foot on the side of my car. I then spoke to my service advisor, who referred me to the service manager. Let me just begin by saying that this guy was RUDE. He spoke down to me and belittled me, accused me of bringing in the car with the scratches to put the blame on BMW of Bayside, told me that they didn't see the scratches when they inspected the car in the morning because my car was dirty (even though I washed it yesterday), and even had the nerve to walk away from me as I was still talking to him. I said, "I'm not going to take the car off the lot unless you repair it, or write in a note stating that you will repair it on my second service visit." He responded by turning his back to me, walking away, and yelling "SO LEAVE IT."

I was appalled by how this situation was handled, especially by the "service manager." I advise everyone to save yourself the trouble and stay away from BMW of Bayside service. I am NEVER bringing my car back there again.

08-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Sorry for not updating. I'll take a few pics and post them tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

damn that sucks man..those are grounds for firing the service manager..thats horrible. contact BMW NA, they will look into it, i did the same

(atleast you didn't pick up your car and it suddenly had an extra 105 miles on it)

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

soon you will be getting a survey; fill it out and complain and check the box that says "I want BMW NA to contact me"

just had a similiar issue with Paul Miller (door panel puncture) but I am confident they will fix it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post

Sounds like what happened to my car a week after I bought it, they washed it with what looked like sand paper and then offered to re-detail it but the scratches are still there and there is NOTHING you can do. UNLESS you have a SM that cares. BMWNA SUCKS ASS IMO, I fought and they wont even pay for a pro detailer to fix it or at least attempt to.

I have a thread with the pics of my car before and after and it is a losing battle with them, but good luck maybe you can have better luck than I did.

PS SORRY to hear, I know it gets you MAD as HELL, I been there
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Updated with pics.

Thanks to everyone for responding!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj335i View Post
Some dealerships take pictures of cars when owners bring them in... see if Bayside does that.
They walk around the car and look for any problems before taking it in. When I questioned him about the sheet where they make their report, he had nothing to say other than that they didn't see any scratches. He continued on to say, "We don't check very closely for scratches. If you're so concerned about it, how about the next time you bring it in for service, you get down with me and help me look for the little details and note all of them?" Real cool, huh?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Brought the car back to have the scratch fixed and the SM walks over to the car and says "I don't see it."

This is really, really aggravating.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 XDrive

I would demand to see the GM instead...screw the SM...and make a big scene with SM stand there. Telling everyone...this is the type of service this stealership gives us.... Gota go to higher authority if the satisfaction is not there....its a right but they might not obligate to it...
      08-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
Tegs4tugs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 33?i | 90 Integra B20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
That really sucks at that dealer,Ive taken my car to BMW of Westchester , they usually take a picture of your entire car when you drop it off, I guess for that reason,to protect themselves & you in case of an incident like yours.
I would have called the local police and made an accident report,at least to have the police present and the customers can see,hear what they did to your car , if need be, file a consumer affairs complaint & BBB, then small claims court case, you might win.

Post a pic of the scratch <<<
+1
BMW of westchester usually do a walkaround and make a note of any scratch or dent and even offer you the option to pay to have it repaired, I went there twice and they inspected closely and take picture before anyone drives it off

|33?i e90|Platinum Silver black leather w aluminum trim|6spd|Sport|Premium|Mtec v3|Rockford Fosgate System|
|2015 Lexus IS250 AWD|Pearl White w Tan int|Premium|Navi|
|2000 integra DC4|Silver Gray int|5spd|B20 Motor|
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #21
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
damn suprised, i've been at BMW Bayside for 2 years now, and i must've visited them atleast 5 times --- matter of fact i'm going there tomorrow for brakes lol , and haven't had any problems with them. GOOD LUCK.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #22
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
damn suprised, i've been at BMW Bayside for 2 years now, and i must've visited them atleast 5 times --- matter of fact i'm going there tomorrow for brakes lol , and haven't had any problems with them. GOOD LUCK.

This must be you!

I've had enough with the SM at Bayside. I don't want to trouble myself anymore than with a call to BMWNA. My service advisor, George, made my experience better, but nothing will make up for what I had gone through dealing with Bill, the service manager. I don't plan on going back there for service anymore; I'll probably end up driving to Hassel or Rallye. Thanks everyone for suggestions/comments -- just be careful if you're ever bringing your car to Bayside for service.
Appreciate 0