E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Lowering + Rims question

05-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep
Drives: E92

Lowering + Rims question

I'm planning to change my wheels sooner or later in the future.
However, as everyone who lives in HK knows how bumpy the roads in HK are, and how steep the ramps are for the HK island parkings.
Everyone has to take this into their concern when they lower their cars, that's no doubt.

I'm driving an E92 335i and I'm happy with the sport suspension it came with the car, but it's just the ride height can't make it perfect.
Now my question is that how much gap can a 19" rims (and suggest what tires size please) filled if I keep my stock suspension?

I saw quite a lot of E92 with 19"s, and they all have pretty decent fender gaps. I wonder if all the E92 drivers with 19"s dropped their ride or even stock suspension with 19"s can have this sexy look?

Anyone on this board can share some pictures if they are riding on 19"s with stock sport suspension?

Thanks in advance for the useful inputs!
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
ArktisE92
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJack View Post
I'm planning to change my wheels sooner or later in the future.
However, as everyone who lives in HK knows how bumpy the roads in HK are, and how steep the ramps are for the HK island parkings.
Everyone has to take this into their concern when they lower their cars, that's no doubt.

I'm driving an E92 335i and I'm happy with the sport suspension it came with the car, but it's just the ride height can't make it perfect.
Now my question is that how much gap can a 19" rims (and suggest what tires size please) filled if I keep my stock suspension?

I saw quite a lot of E92 with 19"s, and they all have pretty decent fender gaps. I wonder if all the E92 drivers with 19"s dropped their ride or even stock suspension with 19"s can have this sexy look?

Anyone on this board can share some pictures if they are riding on 19"s with stock sport suspension?

Thanks in advance for the useful inputs!
I used to run 19" 235/35/8.5/ET30 upfront and 275/30/9.5/ET35 in the back on stock ZSP suspension. Saw minor rubbing against the driver side front fender at full lock (against the oil cooler vent--I suspect a 335-specific issue) but that can be easily addressed with a dremel plus a well-placed screw.

The stance of the car is a very personal thing--you may end up liking the look at stock height. Get the wheels first and see where you want to take it from there
SOLD — '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep
Drives: E92

Hey ArktisE92, do you mind sharing a couple pictures of your car here? I wanna see how much fender gap you got.
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
whiteboard
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Black/Black

Quote:
Hey ArktisE92, do you mind sharing a couple pictures of your car here? I wanna see how much fender gap you got.

lower by how much is really personal perference and it also depends on what kind of suspension/ body kits you have or will put on, coz some suspension may have limit on the drop or too soft which will cause some fender problem after putting 19" rims and spacers. But i would suggest lower to the level where the fender almost reach the tires or the fender gap less than one finger space after you have done all the camber setting is good enough. The most important thing is to make sure balance adjustment, i do see cars in the street lower too much at the rear and cover the tires too much ... to me is kind of wired!
2008 E90 335i / Black in black / PROcede (Professional) / M aerodynamic package with Hamann front spoilers, rear diffuser & roof spoiler / M3 mirrors / vented hood / 19" BBS LM-R + Pilot super sport / Alcon brake kit 6F/4R / Bilstein PSS10 / H&R sway bars / Front tower bar / Quaife LSD / GruppeM airbox / Forge DV / Okada ignition coils / AR Design turbo downpipes with race cats, Supersprint connecting pipes, X pipes and Hamann rear muffler / Spearco intercooler / modified oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe

Jack, the gap of my breyton set up is around 1.5 inche as the gap with the OEM suspension of my newly bought E92 335... Not sure if you can see the picture clearly in my signature or avatar or else, you can go to 28car to click 335 for clear/bigger pictures when the recent sold white rabbit is now mine after bought from long time old friend of mine but this private sell connected us together again...
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
ArktisE92
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55

Quote:
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION!

Sorry Jack I didn't see your question earlier. Here's a pic if it gives you an idea. Or you can check out the whole thread which I started under the photos section here

As the other poster mentioned, your "gap" is determined by a whole host of variables. I'm running coilovers and spacers (3mm F / 5mm R) which obviously eats up part of the gap.

SOLD — '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0