BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

more track questions

i talked to a shop yesterday about getting my car ready for the track. stricly bmw in bellevue. talked about tire choices and square vs stagered setups as well as various other brake and shifter mods. they were telling me that in order to get the max benefit out of a square set up i would need to adjust my camber and then would be sacrificing feel and drivabilty when i switched back to my stagered street setup. for someone who will proabably do track days a couple times a year, am i better off just looking at a good stagered setup with an r tire for the track or square? can someone explain please. my concern is burning up 2000 set of ps2's on the track when i could have a dedicated set that saves my ps2's life a little.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

how bout just bringing out the car in stock form? i'd recommend changing the oem brake fluid to something like motul or ATE. but i'd start with stock, then work your way with suspension, ssk, rims, etc etc. once you know how your car performs stock, then you'll be more informed of how you want your car to perform with aftermarket pieces.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I've had my car at Pacific Raceways for 5 track days and probably have 2 more days left before I replace my front PS2s. I am looking at a square setup as well and discussed my options with my service advisor Alex at BMW Seattle. He races a Euro spec e36 M3 and has been doing this a long time. He argued that without a square setup it would be necessary to do a lot of ssuspension work including sways to dial out some of the understeer. His recommendation was to go with a square setup for performance reasons and convenience. I got the same advice from Noah who works at Group II motorsports in Ballard. Noah is one hell of a driver and an instructor with the Alfa club. He took me for a session in my car at the track and got a good feel what the car needs. He took me for a session in his car and I could barely walk when I got out of the car due to the effect of the incredibly fast turns on my vestibular system.

I am in the process of getting a separate set of track wheels and tires in a square setup but it will be a while because the wheels I want will take a while to get here.
      05-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

are you waiting on tr motorsports then? i called and they are backordered intil late june i think. i was planning on doing my track day stock to start but not really looking forward to buying a new set of ps2's and a track set up at the same time after i burn my stocks down. They already look a little ragged on the outside edge from hard street driving i suppose?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I've had my PS2s on the track 5 times and probably have another 2 track days left on the fronts. I am not sure what wheels I am going to get. I'm not all that crazy about the TR Motorsports because the 10" are a little wide for the front and the 9.5s require spacers in front. TC Kline does have 4 of the 9.5 et 35 which will work if you put spacers on them. I am just not certain it is the wheel I want. I am consider the Volk T37 in 18x9.5 all around with perhaps a spacer on the rear. Not all that anxious to have any lingering thoughts of wheel stability at 140+mph. I'm not in a huge hurry as the PS2s are fine and work great in the rain. Luckily, I have avoided rain so far.
      05-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

are you seeing 140 at pacific raceways? havent been yet but had no idea it would be that high?

Appreciate 0