ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

ESS tuning impressions-

I figured nearly 10 of us got the new software today so we might as well share a thread to talk about the new tune of the DME.

In a nutshell- It's fuggin awesome!

I installed mine in about 10 minutes being extra careful...went in easier than it came out. I was nervous about starting it for the first time but it fired right up.

I warmed it up and took it out for a first spin. I noticed 4 major changes immediately-
1. Awesome throttle response (responsive and smoooooooooooth),
2. The rpm range of 2,000-4,000 seemed to get a major improvement in power...really responsive now...probably made the supersprint X-Pipe mod come to life,
3. More power up top too.
4. Sport button is improved too. Now that regular throttle response is so great there really is no need that I can see to use sport. I will try it more later.

I am sure the DME is going to be adapting for a while so I will chime in again later.

What are your impressions?
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Odd - my car still drives the same. Oh, wait, I haven't sent mine in yet. Been swamped - hoping to get it on the way Monday. Trivia: I ordered a new body panel set for the Smart to change the color to black, it was $50 cheaper than chipping the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Spreadsheet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2007 Z4MC

I'll add my thoughts as just installed the upgraded DME.

My car is an unaltered version, just a UUC Clutch stop is all.

I warmed it up and took it out for a for a drive, warming up the engine until the oil and coolant was up to temp (about 210 degrees).

Throttle response was better. I would give it about a rating of +2/3rds from original to Sport responsiveness. I used to use Sport on the freeway, but not around town as it was too much. I can use this new throttle response all day long. Test for me was in 6th, if I was cruising and turned off Sport, there was a definite drop in speed, not so with the new map, just barely. Old Sport was unusable for me in stop-and-go traffic; not so with new map.

I like it

The rpm range of 2,000-4,000 seemed to get an improvement in power...more responsive now. Rev limit has definately been raised.

It was hard to find a clear road due to Friday traffic, but the one I was able to do a short full acceleration run on was very good. Just a roll-on in 1st gear with what I would consider a lazey shift to 2nd still got a good chirp. Usually needs a more agressive shift for that. I would describe the change as pulling more freely through the lower gears. Not a major change, more subtle than that, but just a bit quicker through the gears for sure.

This is not my first BMW (4th) nor my first M (1995). I've had Dinan software installed on my 2001 330CI, seems comparable to that (engine and transmission). Not a life changing event, but you can tell the differences in responsiveness and character of the car.

Bottom line. Am I glad I purchased the software? YES. Did it meet my expectations? YES, but mine have been tempered by the knowledge of what can be extracted from BMW. Would I do it again? YES.

After I test drove my car, I received my RPI scoops. I have done a little modification and molded the scoop to better fit the opening by hand. Now that it fits better to me, I can't insert the screws without pulling the front facia. Good thing I'm on leave next week. I'll getter done for sure. I'll post my feedback of adding the RPI scoop one it's installed and the DME has a chance to adapt.

I know I am interested in the Stage 3 exhaust from BMS that seemed to work one Palantirion seemed to have worked great once he had the ESS software installed. At worst, I wold like the Stage 2 system. But the Stage 3 system with ESS software looked to have some awesome mid-range punch, just what I'm looking for.

Hope everyones DME made it back on time.

Spreadsheet
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

Epbrown- get to it! BTW, funny you can change car color so easily on the smart car...how is it doing in the snow?
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Glad you guys like it The software will adapt to mods and fuel so feel free to add stuff or find some 100 octane and have fun for a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

Thanks Rom3n. I guess I should have also mentioned that my impression of ESS is that they bust their ass for the customer. They worked overnight to give us back our DME quick. I appreciate good service and a good product. Props to ESS.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Epbrown- get to it! BTW, funny you can change car color so easily on the smart car...how is it doing in the snow?
There's a guy in Florida with 3 sets of panels, and a couple in the UK say they've got 12. Gotta be weird to be able to change your car color on a whim like that. The Smart does okay in the snow - way better than the Z4MC.

The ChiTownM forum had a post recently about an upcoming dyno day - you should bring the car and get the improvements quantified. I plan to bring mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I received and installed mine today. I agree with Mr Reynold's observations. Also, the intake and exhaust are louder, in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Spreadsheet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

What a difference a day makes.

If you take the difference I wrote about yesterday as a baseline, then when I drove the car again today, it was like I ‘chipped’ it again. Amazing.

One item I forgot to mention yesterday was the computer had “lost” some programming, most notably the one-touch up window feature. Didn’t work yesterday and I was unhappy and was going to let ESS know about it. Suddenly, today it works . The other good thing is after I installed the RPI scoop and started a drive today, the car immediately felt for a lack of a better term, ‘peppier’ in the mid-range.

My initial write up was on the conservative side as I understand you can’t wring large amounts of HP from the current BMWs with software alone. But, today the car seemed to have a different demeanor. Mid-range felt stronger and I perceived a better pull once it passed the 2K mark. Yes, I understand the butt-‘o-meter analogy and how it applies.

I did another rolling 1st gear pull on the same road as last night, only difference being it was 66 degrees yesterday and 29 degrees today (that’s Oklahoma for you, weather changes constantly). Today, as I passed 4,500 RPM the rear wheels started spinning and DSC came on, which was a surprise. I had been through a car wash earlier, so thought the tires may have some residue on them so drove around for a bit to scuff this off and try again. Guess what, 15 minutes and 8 miles later, same result, tires start spinning when engine hits 4,500 RPM. Not spinning at the start, but break loose as the tach hits 4.500 RPM.

First experience with this situation, will have to try this again once it warms up this Tue-Thu.

Anyway, not a scientific response, but I like the mods better today than yesterday. Ended up not having to disassemble the front to install the RPI scoops. I did drop 2 of the 3 screws into the abyss yesterday night before bailing and taking another shot at it this morning. Managed to fish them out with a magnet tool and figured out the right combination of adjustable-joints to use to install them. Pre-Drill the holes everyone! I do wish I could remember which thread I saw how to take out the grills easily so I could thank them, I would have not done this without their guidance.

Also, BR, I remember you writing about VANOS noise and taking to the dealer, maybe someone else too. I had the same issue and here’s the result from my dealer invoice, which by the way DID verify the noise I was hearing and the Service Advisor stated I described the event EXACTLY as the SIB. At least I have it in writing:

Advisor wrote:
Check for at times steady speeds can hear slight spark knock.

Technician wrote:
14160 Normal operation test drove vehicle and verified complaint. Noticed a “knocking’ noise from the engine at part load, around 3K RPM. Checked SIBS and found SIB 11 05 06 which describes this customers complaint. This vehicle is operating as designed.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

The driving expierence will change as the DME adapts to your fuel mods etc... usually takes 50 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Well I just couldn't stand it!

After reading the reviews I just had to do it too! I just sent the funds and the DME will go out on Monday... Darn I'm weak!!!!! BUT I love my M
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadsheet View Post
What a difference a day makes.

If you take the difference I wrote about yesterday as a baseline, then when I drove the car again today, it was like I ‘chipped’ it again. Amazing.

One item I forgot to mention yesterday was the computer had “lost” some programming, most notably the one-touch up window feature. Didn’t work yesterday and I was unhappy and was going to let ESS know about it. Suddenly, today it works . The other good thing is after I installed the RPI scoop and started a drive today, the car immediately felt for a lack of a better term, ‘peppier’ in the mid-range.
Dude, same thing happened to me...I was like WTF? My windows are jammed down...then one touch was out....then it came back.

I feel my car drives stronger today vs. yesterday. Also my in take and exhaust are noticeably louder...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Spreadsheet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Z4MCJJ - sorry you had the same thing happen, but glad to see your issues cleared up as mine did.

Chuck I - I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the ESS mod as I have. It has exceeded my expectations and I was a skeptic for sure. Took me a year before I finally pulled the trigger to do the first performance mod to my car. Not so with my previous rides.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

I did not notice the exhaust but my supersprint is already loud

I only have about 2 miles on mine...it snowed last night and this morning. Traction is tricky. I took my car to the grocery store today (roads were cleared) and had a little fun. With my setup and gearing, I cannot step on the gas in the first three gears without making my DSC light come on....even at low rpms. The force is strong in this one
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
I did not notice the exhaust but my supersprint is already loud

I only have about 2 miles on mine...it snowed last night and this morning. Traction is tricky. I took my car to the grocery store today (roads were cleared) and had a little fun. With my setup and gearing, I cannot step on the gas in the first three gears without making my DSC light come on....even at low rpms. The force is strong in this one
Snow Drifting FTW
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
ESS FTMFW

Had the tune done last night, and the 30 mile drive home (in Sport mode) gave me a great opportunity to play around and let the DME begin to relearn my driving style.
* my car's completely stock other then the ESS software.

Before having this done I always thought the Sport mode was a bit touchy for stop and go traffic. Either all on, or off. I'd be toggling between the two modes depending on if I'm sitting in traffic or actually cruising along. With the tune, Sport is just as smooth as stock in the Non-Sport mode - with much more accessible power.

Oh - and mid range power! My god, the way this thing pulls!
Drop down to third at about 55/60mph, plant the pedal and run through the gears, you're in the triple digits in no time. It eats up the road. After the initial purchase of the car, this is the best money I've spent on it. If you're on the fence (as I was) this is definitely worth the money!

I can't wait to put some more miles on the car and let it adjust. After a tank or two or 91 octane, I'm going to take Todd and Roman's advice and go put in a few gallons of 100 octane to compare the higher octane mapping.

------------------------

Not sure about the auto up/down window feature some of you temporarily lost. I had no issues with that. Might be something to do with your car sitting without the DME for a few days, or if you disconnected the battery.
      02-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
ESS FTMFW

Had the tune done last night, and the 30 mile drive home (in Sport mode) gave me a great opportunity to play around and let the DME begin to relearn my driving style.
* my car's completely stock other then the ESS software.

Before having this done I always thought the Sport mode was a bit touchy for stop and go traffic. Either all on, or off. I'd be toggling between the two modes depending on if I'm sitting in traffic or actually cruising along. With the tune, Sport is just as smooth as stock in the Non-Sport mode - with much more accessible power.

Oh - and mid range power! My god, the way this thing pulls!
Drop down to third at about 55/60mph, plant the pedal and run through the gears, you're in the triple digits in no time. It eats up the road. After the initial purchase of the car, this is the best money I've spent on it. If you're on the fence (as I was) this is definitely worth the money!

I can't wait to put some more miles on the car and let it adjust. After a tank or two or 91 octane, I'm going to take Todd and Roman's advice and go put in a few gallons of 100 octane to compare the higher octane mapping.

------------------------

Not sure about the auto up/down window feature some of you temporarily lost. I had no issues with that. Might be something to do with your car sitting without the DME for a few days, or if you disconnected the battery.
Yes. I disconnected the battery.

Good review. i can't wait to take this thing to Firebird or PIR next month.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

You guys really need to stop posting such positive feedback on the software. Making me itch to get this mod!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
You guys really need to stop posting such positive feedback on the software. Making me itch to get this mod!
I was skeptical, thinking that with a NA engine there isn't much more power to be squeezed out; it's not like FI, where you can just up the boost.
But it's more then just the power; it's the drivability and overall package.
      02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
same....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Hey where can I get the tool necessary to remove the torx screws? Is this something I can get from the local hardware store or do I have to go to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Any decent sized tool kit should have the screwdriver heads for torx screws.