BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Registering out-of-state 2008 135i in California

I just moved to California, and am about to register (hopefully) my 2008 135i.

I just went to have it smog checked, and it passed. Hearing from the guy at the smog check station as well as reading the dmv.ca.gov website kind of worries me though. As stated:

"NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in this state." http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Since my car passed the smog check, I think I should be fine...? Btw, car was purchased new w/ 9 miles, and currently has 4783 miles...

What do you guys think about this...should I be worried?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylPickle85 View Post
"NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in this state." http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Since my car passed the smog check, I think I should be fine...? Btw, car was purchased new w/ 9 miles, and currently has 4783 miles...

What do you guys think about this...should I be worried?
since your car passed smog, you have met the requirements....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

why thank you, good sir. think I should be fine as well...we'll see when trying to register on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Last time I moved back to California all I had to do was get it to pass smog (which i did) and then have it inspected at the DMV. Pretty painless.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I believe that passage relates to current California residents. You are moving to the state and are not subject to the same restrictions. You should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

The "wonderful" thing is, once you get to California nobody gives a rat's a$$ what shape your car is in. I've never lived anywhere that allowed the rattle traps I've seen here: Cracked windshields, ripped up bumpers, hoods or trunk lids tied down with string, pieces about to fall off, ...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
... as long as it passes smog.

Hell, they even give you 6 months to fix it if it doesn't.

What's fun is being in the military, being a California resident and not living in California. I am exempt from California emission standards, because I am not polluting their air, and I don't have to go through any Maryland inspections because the car is registered in California. Furthermore, since my home address is in Maryland, all the city and county taxes associated with California car registration do not apply, so my registration is about 50 dollars a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

cool...thanks guys.

I'm in a unique situation myself, as my car (I'm the primary driver) is leased by my father and his company...my dad is staying back in my home state (AZ), and so is his company. The car is leased and registered in my dad's and his company's name...I'm nowhere to be found on lease/registration. However, when talking to CA DMV, they insist we register it here since the car will be residing (and be driven) in this state even though my father and his company continue to reside in AZ. Interesting situation, and no one seems to know the complete answer to this story. I could always play it off that the car is registered/leased in my dad's name and is his company car that he lets me drive in CA "on occasion"....they would honestly never know!
Appreciate 0