BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
C Africa
Not So Junior Member
Rep
Drives:

Information on new BMW products

Does anyone know of a website where one can keep abreast of BMW's new developments? There was talk at one stage of a Z1 (small sister to the Z4). I'd like to know if it is still on the cards and if so what is the timeline. Other developments that I am interested in are:
* Bigger diesel for X5/6. With Audi Volkswagen having V10 & V12 engines, I would expect BMW to bring back their V8 diesel (as they had it in their 7series at one stage), but fitted with the new twin turbo technology.
* What's the latest on the Concept CS? It has now been displayed at several shows but no news on a launch date!
:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Im a member of German car zone.. There is lots of useful info there.. and BMW creative marketing teams periodically drops some scoops, the likes of Eni and Scott… Give a try, there’s lots of info..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
MWerks is excellent for official BMW press.
http://www.mwerks.com/
It's weekly reading for me.

For unofficial stuff, speculation, spy shoots, etc, try WorldCarFans.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/
Not my thing.

Our local home-grown Wheels24 is actually on top of almost all official and unofficial car news and spy shots.
http://www.wheels24.co.za/
A daily read for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
BTW, I haven't heard anything re a Z1.

Re large diesels, I think it is hugely unlikely given:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/09/03...ement-engines/
http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/News/Environmental/8/0dec2c30e7d64833a92c0adefffd3634/01-01-0001%2012-01/BMW%20cuts%20big%20engine%20production

Re concept CS, BMW stated that this concept was intended to show the design direction for the new 7-series; as far as I'm aware, there was never talk of it becoming an actual production model.
Full details on the new 7 at http://www.mwerks.com/artman2/publis...es_750Li.shtml
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
Dewald
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i M DCT

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I know about the X1 that they looking at putting into production.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
x1 with twin turbo...hmm?
      10-23-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

Scott from www.germancarzone.com can confirm these.... looks hot...... s2000/mx5 competitor.... :headbang::headbang:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
The X1 preview was shown at the Paris Motor Show recently:

http://www.mwerks.com/artman2/publis...in_Paris.shtml

These are official BMW pics and the actual show car was in this awful colour too (photos were in various motoring publications). The car is close to production (less than a year away) and the production model is likely to be virtually identical in appearance to this concept as even the dimensions (wheelbase, width, height, etc) have been published.

Not strictly related, but the vehicle that stole the thunder from the X1 at the Paris Motor Show was Lamborghini's Estoque:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_4352.shtml

And the car that took all the attention away from the X1:
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
C Africa
Not So Junior Member
Rep
Drives:

I hope not

Hi GMZA,

it is exactly because of the move towards more efficient engines that I was hoping that a higher performance Diesel would see the light. A big diesel (modern technology) would have the same fuel consumption as a small pertrol but should outperform it hansomely. Check this out (diesels greener than hybrids): http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...icleId=4450435

Those pics posted by Gusheshe are along the lines of what I saw in one of the local magazines a while ago. There was definitely talk of a "small" roadster to be called either Z2 or Z1. The pics (artist impression) looked more like a small Z4, here are more pics (here called a Z2):

Can u imagine this fitted with the 3l twin turbo? I can and I have already put my name on a waitiong list at my dealer (they have a waiting list for "concept cars").

Problem is, some sources claim it will be available in 2010, others say only in 2012.

By the way, my read of the Concpt CS is that it will be launched as an 8 series (remember the old 850?).

Regards.

C
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

Here is what Scott said about the above Z2 pics I posted

" The first picture showcases a short stubby rear deck but in truth it's about the length of the original Z3 rear deck. The rear view gives a preview of the next Z4 Coupe .

Yes such a car is coming the Z4 has been a success and helped bring sustainability to overall Z4 sales . The marketing of the new Z4 is aimed at "Every Inch a Sports car" and a Coupe version of the new Z4 will further cement these credentials by offering a more stiffer body shell and less weight , although there are many features that make the new Z4 Roadster lighter than what you expect it to be.

Also a film can be a powerful piece of convincement. When they saw the film of the new Z4 they saw what further potential can be had with the new Z4 and that includes not right now but still being given serious consideration M Variants. With the new Z4 everybody within the product programme and indeed senior mangement know that their is further progress and much potential to be achieved in the new Z4.

Z4 will also focus on being a sports car by incorporating "Efficient Dynamics" to become the most efficient sports car in it's segment an achievemnt for some , irritable for others especially in Active Hybrid.

But as the world premiere of the MINI-E suggests that such technology is not limited to certain vehicles and therefore the Vision Z Concept could offer a full electric drivetrain as a BMW Full Hybrid Sports car.

Right away thats your headlines - Innovative , efficient and groundbreaking without any omission of "Sheer driving Pleasure".

Regarding CS Concept correct.. Here's more info; again from Scott who worked on thE 7er series marketing campaign and the new Z4
"No the CS Concept car is a definite for production. That is why it has been across the world to show that BMW are serious about this car and to define it's reaction saying that it is not a Mercedes-Benz CLS Rival.
And that it is intent on being the flagship BMW.
And with prospective buyers BMW has liasoned with not one has asked for a traditional coupe over the CS. The only ones asking for a Coupe sans 8er are traditionalists who think there should be a rival to the CL-Klasse.

Since most of the engineering work is based on the 7er Platform. fully disguised 7er models (the first disguised 7er prototypes you saw on the road) are currently on the streets as the 7er will share it's platform with the CS Concept and the Rolls-Royce RR04.

Although you might be wondering why is there still fully disguised 7ers driving about? This should answer your question that they are engineering prototypes and nothing to do with the 7er.
Fully camouflaged prototypes of the production design will hit the streets in the New Year."
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
C - Who could forget the 850?!?

As if it wasn't a hit on its own merits, Will Smith immortalised it further with "Getting Jiggy with It!"

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/w/will+sm..._20146939.html

Na na na na na na na nana
Na na na na nana
Gettin jiggy wit it

Eight-fifty i.s. if you need a lift
Whos the kid in the drop
Who else will smith
[...]

My old neighbor had one as well. Sadly, his looked anything but immortal...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
C Africa
Not So Junior Member
Rep
Drives:

Yep I loved the 850

despite the fact that it was just too heavy to be considered "sporty" (which was part of its downfall and resulting low sales volumes). I think the boys at BMW have learnt something about weight saving with their latest M3's and the previous M3 CSL so expect the CS concept to further advance in this direction.

After all is said and done, it does not appear as if there is a specific website where one can keep abreast of developments and we'll just have to rely on good old Google to search for and find the information we crave.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

Scott on the CS Concept

With the production car of the CS the aim is to keep everything that made the car a success. Knowing only to well how Aston Martin have kept their initial Rapide Concept car looks is a page BMW have used .

With the product development underneath Gerhard Richter - The father of M Division you know right way BMW's intentions for this car and that is the best drivers car in it's segment if not the only car in it's segment to begin with. Make no mistakes about it but the BMW CS production car will be a very sporty and dynamic car and the design reflects these intentions. BMW reckon that with 2dr Coupes that the owner of these cars initially have families so the aim is to offer a fitting flagship to the BMW Brand and use a more unconventional approach than our competitors .

The overall look of the car will be unchanged but such elements such as more sculpture in the front bumper to accommodate pedestrian regulations are a given. The low roof line remains intact as passengers sink in to the car. The interior at the front is all about the driver and that separated dashboard will feature in the production car. The car will be a strict four seater with a long centre console in the middle that will split up all the seats .

The Production car will possibly be available with in starting entry model with a V8, The concept car runs with a prototype enhanced V10 from the M5 which is under discussion for inclusion with the next M5 as BMW are working on how to sustain the V10 and make it more viable, flexible and efficient. All models will feature the upcoming 8 speed Automatic As well as technology shared with the 7er and Rolls-Royce RR04.

As the car will be the flagship for BMW and the much talked about Bridge to Rolls-Royce, interior quality is not being taken for granted. There are ideas to accommodate the CS by building the bodywork in Germany and finishing the car at GoodWood to take advantage of production space and craftsmanship. However these were ideas before the economy rolled over.

What to call the car? Speculation remains on "8" as reported by the media but within BMW there is hardly any enthusiasm in calling the car 8 because of the less successful E31 8er and E52 Z8.
Many with BMW refer to the car internally as the BMW Gran Turismo , many prefer GT 7 which would accommodate future GT models along the line Or as it was intended originally Z9 or 9er . However there is just over two years to decide what to call the car. It may have an unusual name but this is all about the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:02 AM   #14
C Africa
Not So Junior Member
Rep
Drives:

8 Speed?

Mmmm, if that is the direction, then it means this will be another beemer available only with paddle shift (whether twin clutch or full auto). I like the way the Hamster described the M-Z4, he said the M division served up "Fred Flintstone's car". And that is the way I like it. When the M6 came out I really really wanted one, but I wasn't prepared to live with the SMG box.

If what you're saying is correct, and this car is going to be another "luxury tourer" rather than a "true sport's car", I'll have to forget about dreaming of one. Call me old fashioned, but in a sporty car, I want a manual!! Yes I know all about the problems with the shift patterns and the difficulty of having more than 6 gears in a manual. I can't see why they can't bring out a manual with 6 gears with a 7th "overdrive" that works with an electrohydraulic prosess or something.

Ayway, I'll start looking around for something alse to aspire to.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #15
Carbonic
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135iM

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
135i ECU upgrade

Any news on the rumoured 135i ECU upgrade under the BMW Performance banner. I heard that BMW Performance had been transferred to ///M Division at BMW, don't know what impact that will have on it.

I need more power! Its just not good enough to beat an RS4 by 2 car lengths to 100 :wink:.

The Schnitzer solution if potent, and carries full BMW warranty, but you have to take their ugly exhaust and be without your car for 3 weeks whilst the cluster gets re-calibrated in Germany. And at 120 gorillas, it's a chunk of change to pay for humiliating a few lesser autos...
2008 Alpine White 135iM, High gloss black / satin chrome trim, Xenon lights, Hi-Fi sound, ext. lighting package, BMW Performance wheels, side skirts, pedals, gear knob, exhaust, high gloss black grills, carbon mirrors, carbon decklid spoiler, 35% security laminate, Tii graphics
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #16
C Africa
Not So Junior Member
Rep
Drives:

Schnitzer tested

One of the BMW magazine's tested that Schnitzer upgrade. Apparently it causes a loss of power below 4000rpm and only gives you extra boost at the higher revs. This means that where-as you'll be a star in the robot to robot arena, you'll loose some of the everyday driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
BMW cancels CS four-door coupe

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...Credit-crunch/

If you think America’s Big Three are finding market conditions tough, Europe’s finest are sagging on the ropes, too. This week BMW announced it was axing the radical CS four-door coupe – this, after its recent cancellation of the X7 – while Mercedes recorded a 25% drop in North American sales this month.

[...]
Appreciate 0