BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

MadDad(TM) Exhausts are coming to the 1 Series

3/3/09 Group Buy/Pre-Orders Now being taken. Please see Group Buy/Pre-Order Thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236719
================================================== =============

One of the most respected brands of Subaru performance exhausts is coming to your 1 Series. For the past 5 years MadDad has been producing some of the most well received exhaust systems for the turbocharged Subaru WRX and STi. If any of you current 1 Series owners came from the Subaru world and fequented the popular Subaru forums I'm sure you've heard of the brand.

The MadDad(TM) Whisper series exhausts are renouned for their no-drone design, low key OEM look, and unmistakable sound character. We like to say they offer "..all of the sound character, with none of the noise". This means we have no tolerance for droning inside the cabin at any rpm range, while maintaining an intoxicating sound charcter that will make you want to shut off the radio...all without trigger the db police.

We really have to thank the BMW community for the success of the Whisper catback in the Subaru community. Why? Because it was the experience our exhaust engineering partner had with performance BMW designs that allowed us to create a low db level/no drone 3" catback design for the Subaru community. With a decade of experience building BMW and Audi exhaust systems our egineering partner was well aware of the droning exhibited in many european exhausts and combated that with a patented, imported German exhaust packing material and application specific exhaust canisters and baffle designs. Those lessons learned were applied to our Subaru products with great success and we we're excited to be able to bring that origonal european experience back to the BMW enthusiats. So what are we initially planning...

135i MadDad(TM) Whisper Backbox
135i MadDad(TM) Whisper S/T Catback

First, I have to tell you that the history of MadDad(TM) parts comes from my own personal wants/desires for parts. In the Subaru world every part we made was on my own car first. The need for a low db 3" catback came from my own need as a dad driving with 2 baby seats in the back of my car along with my wife so I needed an exhaust that would almost dissapear when the windows were rolled up but also had the sound character and performance that you know we all desire..and the Whisper series was born. With that said, my personal 2009 135i is on order and I'll be taking delivery sometime in October so the game begins all over again and the first parts are of course what I would be looking for myself.

The MadDad(TM) Whisper Backbox (aka axleback) will replace the factory unit with a higher flow bolt-on unit. We don't expect any seat of the pants performance gains with this piece alone as the car is still strangled by 4 cats well prior to this. However it will open things up enough to allow a sound character that the factory should have given the car to begin with and will be a useful piece in a modular setup, as we'll offer an intermediate pipe as a separate piece to open the performance and sound even further. Staying true to our design, it will look classy OEM with factory sized dual tips.

Our plans for the MadDad(TM) Whisper S/T (Street and Track) is to offer a very flexible catback exhaust system. Connecting to the factory downpipes, the Whisper S/T will be a complete system from the downpipes back, offering quick release v-clamped removable lower cats that can be swapped for straight pipes for track duty. The removable cats will be hi-flow metal subatsrate units. We've been using metal substrate cats exclusively in every catted application we've ever created. The flow and reliability far supasses that of any similiar ceramic based units.

Now here is where we need your help...much like getting tailored for a new suit we need to get a 1 Series into the shop of our fabrication shop to take all the key measurements. Our fabrication shop is in the Fountain Valley area of Ca. If your an existing 1 Series owner in that area that would like to test out a new product in advance of its release please PM us. Once we have a taker we will post back here let you know(so we dont keep getting PMs ). Who ever assists will be allowed to take a production unit at half price...which at the moment is to TBD. We'll post pricing as we get closer.

I can't tell you folks how excited we are to be bringing the Whisper series to the 1 Series. I'm looking forward to my 135i project car and sharing the parts we make as I pimp my own ride :thumbup:

Happy Driving...

Rich
MadDad Exhausts
www.maddad-performance.com

Last edited by maddad; 03-03-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
Ive heard of you guys!
Great products.
Is you exhaust going to be a single side or quad setup?
      08-18-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet135i View Post
Ive heard of you guys!
Great products.
Is you exhaust going to be a single side or quad setup?
LOL we're all chasing the quad setup
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
i want one sooooo bad.
      08-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The dual exhaust setup is certainly doable, and funny enough it is one of the ideas myself and our fabrication shop have discussed. The real extra effort comes in the rear under spoiler or valance. It's a totally different project to have a new piece made with the extra exhaust tip cutout and currently we don't have a setup or partner for forming that piece. Still it's something I would consider if we could get that piece together.

R.
      08-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

If only you were in norcal
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

MADDAD IS HERE!! Wow, this is a great company with quality products. Can't wait to see what they come up with. And I'm sure prices will be low, *wink*!
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just a friendly bump...still looking for someone in the Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach area of CA. so we can take some measurements.

R.
      10-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
ballamike
Rep
Drives:

sent a PM, im local and ready...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I thought I would give an update on the status of this system.

First of all thanks to ballamike for spending the initial time so we could rough out the system and get all the measurements we needed. He'll be taking home a production axleback for his trouble when production begins.

We'll have our first "almost ready" for production system in our hands before the end of this month. This will be to test final fitment and mainly the sound character. We scrutinize the sound character of our exhaust systems like no other, paying particular attention to how the exhaust sounds from INSIDE the car as well as outside. I personally have 0% tolerance for drone at any rpm under any circumstances and you can be ensured right now we will not release any exhaust that exhibits even a hint of it. I see the stories over and over again with our MadDad Whisper systems from the Subaru side of the house where 30%+ of MadDad Whisper owners replaced an existing performance exhaust due to being tired of the sound. It's really not that difficult to make an exhaust that makes your car sound "cooler" or "sportier" on the outside. It takes experience to engineer an exhaust that has a refined sound character on the inside of the car and that is all we will produce and ship to you.

At this point I can reveal a couple of things:

First, initially we'll be offering a 3" axleback. That is larger than the factory and we're donig that to open the sound volume up since the vast majority of you will most likey use this along with the factory intermediate pipe. This "should" give this system an overall volume similiar to the BMW Catback options which is smaller but removes the factory resonators.

Second we have not decided on the final tips yet. The first pre-production mule we will show later this month will have standard stainless steel tips, but we also have some carbon fiber tip samples being made and may offer the system with the CF tips if we like the look. After all, the factory tips are black so I feel CF tips could be an interesting alternative since they too will have the black look with just a hint of bling.

Third, the 3" axleback will have a retail of $749 but will initially be offered for $649.

This system will be 100% made in the USA and every part of the system is being fabbed specifically for the 135i. Exhaust packing material, which is a crucial component, is imported from Germany.

So why start off with just the axleback? Why not a full catback? Well, personally, I think that is an easy one. Bang for the Buck. With the street price of the average catback being about $1300, think of what you get for that? You get a better sounding car and a very marginal power bump realative to price. I know from the 335i crowd that a catback replacing the last two cats, while still using the primary factory cats, will net about 14-18hp to the ground. That's great. But for $1300 you could buy an axleback with refined satisfying sound and an SSTT or similiar and get closer to a 50hp bump. Obviously if your looking to go beyond the 350hp level you can add an intermediate pipe later which will replace the lower cats, or get downpipes that replace the more restrictive upper cats and keep the lower ones. We will offer an intermediate later as a followup. The other reason for just an axleback is maintaining the factory lower cats. For many of you out in CA. maintaining the lower cats is key to passing your visual inspections. I'm definately rambling a bit with some of my own personal thoughts on the subject but wanted to share them since I know many of us like to consider all the different angles when considering our upgrade paths and this is just my .02c on the matter...or should I say $1300 on the matter.

We will be posting pictures before end of this month and will post sound clips and hopefully get a local meet of guys here in MA. that will be able to "vouch" for our sound quality claims by listening to this system in person as online clips can only tell you so much, and we'll being getting ballamike the 2nd system as soon as we approve the system so that you CA. guys can get a taste of what MadDad exhausts are all about.

We're hoping to be shipping the system sometime late January if all goes well with the real world testing.

Rich
      12-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
You have PM.
      12-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MadDad Exhaust - preproduction pics

Guys,

These are all really early pre-production pics from the origonal fitting session. In the early stages the exhaust is put together from serveral separate smaller madrel bend pipes that are tack welded together. All of this is done for simple fitment purposes. The final production product will have a single 3" mandrel bend pipe going into the canister.

The tips are totally up in the air right now. The close-to-production unit I'll be receiving in about a week will actually have tips a little different from what is shown here but the same size. We're also looking at carbon fiber tips as well and will have some of our carbon fiber samples in about a month.

So these pics are just to give you a good overall idea of what our axleback section will be. There are some minor changes being made to how we will be attaching the tips as well as the tip style choice. So the big change from what you see here to production will be in how the tips are attached to the canister and the end tip style...although it will be a similiar(if not the same) 3.5" style you see here. We always like to name our products so from this point on you'll see me reference this as the MadDad Whisper Eurosport-1 .

12-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

not bad not bad, I'm gonna ask the question that everyone will be asking...

is there a way to get black tips like stock?
      12-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'M IN!!! Get these things made, my New Year's Resolution is to stop spending money on the 1er.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arok View Post

We've been looking into it but I've yet to find a tip supplier that does the black chrome, so we have some black carbon fiber tip samples being made from one of our existing suppliers. We're going to see how that looks. Here is a pic of the CF samples we're having done.

R.
      12-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arok View Post

+1
Have not seen a tip yet on any of the other aftermarket setups that looks as good as stock.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

I'm definitely going to get me another MadDad exhaust ..... I loved the one on my STI limited.... their product can't be beat for sound, quality and performance at least in the subie world, but I know it will be the same for the 1s as well!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good news. Our pre-production test unit is shiping today so I'll have it in my hand about this time next week. Woohoo.

R.
      12-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
OMG!
      12-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #20
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
R it's looking good man! Very interested in how the CF tips will look.
On a side note it is very interesting how many of us are loathe to get rid of our STOCK exhausts because of the wicked tips that come with it. Not something you see everyday....LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #21
new_one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Rich is very good people. I know his company well from personal and forum experience in the Subbie world. Good to see him here!

- Jim new_one
"All human interaction is mathematics and politics."
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #22
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad to see some of you Subie guys in the forum. I think there are quite a few of us.

So the exhaust should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday, in the meantime, a care package arrived yesterday with a few of our exhaust tip samples. I like the CF sample very much. The tip diameter is identical to the factory and has a similar slash cut design. The CF is very high quality without any knots in the weave. I'll be sending this off to my fabricator to do another one-off for Mike(the guy that did our initial fitting) and see if Mike want's the CF tips on his version...if not I'll be sending my test mule back(after I get the sound bites of course) to have the CF tips installed on mine. I really think the CF tip is going to look very very good, but we will look to get a set of standard tips ceramic coated as well. I've heard all the PMs from you guys and I promise we'll have some form of black tips..CF or otherwise.

The pic quality here isn't great, but it's decent enough to show you the CF tip we're considering. This is the real sample.

R.