BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
imported_Patricia
Rep
Drives:

Automatic transmission in Series 1

Question for anyone who purchased a Series 1 vehicle with automatic transmission: are you happy with the transmission? My observation is that it is very noisy, and does not necessarily move smoothly from gear to gear. In fact, this transmission operates poorly in comparison to others I've experienced in cheaper cars. I hear especially clunky noises when shifting into "park."

Anyone care to comment?

Patricia
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
weezie77
Private
Rep
Drives:

I find it to be very smooth!
Especially in this horrendous Houston traffic!
      07-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Patricia, unfortunately BMW has come to be known for having some fairly problematic transmissions (which BTW are not all built by BMW). E.g. you will find this discussed in the E46 (last 3 series model) Wiki:

"Early automatic transmissions are a weak point in the E46. The first symptom of a failing transmission is the inability to engage reverse gear. Please search the E46 forum for more details."
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...ed_warranty.3F

Because you have the luxury of full warranty coverage right now, I would definitely have your service dept. look carefully at this, sooner not later. Right quantity of ATF? Right kind of ATF? Adjustments in spec?

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
1ATTIC
Private
Rep
Drives:

My impression of the automatic in the 128i is that it's very smooth. I would think there may be a problem with yours. Get it checked out.
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
imported_Patricia
Rep
Drives:

automatic transmission comments

Thanks for all the useful remarks, and esp. to Jack for the link to incredible info.

I'm still "wearing" dealer plates, and will complain to the dealer when I take the car in to get the permanent plates. I'm hoping I don't get some sort of run-around.

I've noticed on the sticker that the dealer thoughtfully included in the bunch of manuals that the transmission was not made in Germany. I hate to think that this might be the problem.

I'll keep the board informed.

Patricia
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Litflynt912
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 228i GC Alpine

my 1 has an auto and it can lag if you try and floor it but for general driving...
It shift pretty darn smoothly
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

I believe the 1 series automatics are made by GM (you see many GM cars advertised with a 6 speed automatic lately). However, this automatic is made by GM to BMW specifications and is not the exact same transmission as the one installed in GM's own cars. I drove a 135 cpe with automatic and I felt it was quite smooth, so I agree with the others that you should have this checked out right away by your dealer. I don't think from your description that it is "supposed to work this way". Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
PUREPHAZED
Helping thru Design
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Big difference in transmissions between the 128i and 135i.
128i is made by Getrag
135i is made by ZF

M
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
BJDrew
Impatiently Waiting
Rep
Drives:

Patricia-
I pushed a 128i automatic pretty hard, and it seemed better than most. Shifts were actually pretty fast, if not all timed the way I would have liked. Friend of mine said that the system learned his style a bit better over time.

But, at the same time, f the dealer gives you a story, tell them you test drove another the previous day and it was not nearly as loud. Demand an answer, and they may give one to you. See if you can "test drive" both yours and a delaer model with their tech in the car as well so they cannot deny if there really is a noise.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The auto 135i's I drove were very smooth. Ah, just noticed you have a 128i. Yea, different tranny manufacture. The ZF is the same auto in the 335i.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Patricia, you may find your dealer's service dept. very responsive so there's no reason to start off expecting they won't be. Having said that, BJDrew's suggestions are good ones if you find your Service Advisor minimizing your concern - and the suggestions are as beneficial for you as for the SA. If you drive another car and it seems to perform similarly to your own, then your mind will be at ease in knowing 'normal' is in fact truly 'normal', not just what that specific SA thinks is normal.

BTW the BMW dealers, apparently for historical reasons related to BMW NA's distributorship agreement, are very sensitive to public customer comment. So pack away in your small 'If I'm not satisfied...' tool kit that a statement that you will be directing comments directly to BMW NA as well as on-line websites like Dealrater may well provide you with some influence when negotiating an issue with the Sales or Service Managers. Also worth considering for your tool kit is a membership in the BMW CCA - the North American BMW car club. If you aren't already a member, it's worth checking them out. Their monthly car magazine, Roundel (which is very informative re: product info, technical issues and much more) is, all by itself, worth the membership cost. However, BMW CCA offers a direct problem resolution path with BMW NA and, because of their history with this program, they will be able to coach you on what an appropriate response by a dealer to a fair concern looks like...or doesn't.

No doubt, all unnecessary info for you - only offered 'just in case'...

Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
white135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i AW Black SSTT Ipod

Mine has been pretty smooth in both Sport and regular.