BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

OFFICIAL: Juicebox 3 - N54 Performance Tuner !! Timeline, features, etc...

As some of you may have already known... the next generation of the Juice Box is on the horizon!!!

I wanted to start this thread to answer questions, discuss the benefits, dispel rumors, etc. I won't always have all the answers but can get them for you quickly!

to be notified of when the JB3 goes on sale. Your e-mail address will be kept private.

The Hardware:
The upcoming JB3 is a completely new hardware platform, one designed by BMS specifically for tuning the N54 engine. It is based on the PIC 18FXXX family of programmable microcontrollers. So unlike the xede, interceptor, etc, that are purchased from a manufacturer and relabeled, BMS actually designed this hardware, firmware, and software themselves. A very impressive feat! This was done to provide the simplest and most reliable possible platform. One tailored exactly to the needs of the N54 with no extra baggage to add to the cost or complicate things.

The Features:
Microcontroller programming opens up a new level of features that the JB3 can provide. Here is a partial list:

1) CPS offset (AKA "timing control"), which allows a little more boost on pump gas than we can with the JB2 variants. In addition boost will be mapped by RPM which is now fed in from the Crank Position Sensor.

2) Air intake temperature based boost decay. As temperatures rise due to ambient conditions and extended loads, the ECU actually raises boost. Which is good enough for the factory tune, but with the JB2, BMS been limiting boost to account for the most extreme conditions.

With IAT based boost decay the JB3 will auto-tune itself on the fly for the current conditions. High-temperature (>90 degrees) performance will be similar, but when temperatures are cooler we will be able to up the power considerably. Those of you with intercoolers will really benefit from this change.

3) Throttle based boost input. The JB3 will adjust the boost targets as a function of throttle input for smoother partial throttle performance.

4) Fuel pressure remapping. Part of the 29.2/v81 compliance package, by remapping the fuel pressure we can sneak more fuel past the ECU. Since the ECU is measuring fuel consumption now to determine if you have a tune this is a critical benefit for diagnostic invisibility.

5) "Direct solenoid control". The JBX series relies on vacuum line configurations to trick the ECU in to a higher solenoid duty cycle, which actually works well. But the JB3 handles the I/O of the solenoids directly, eliminating the need for any changes to the vacuum lines. BMS has developed a method to adjust the solenoid duty cycles without having to replicate the internal boost control system. One that I might add BMW has spent millions of dollars developing to perfection. The result is a smooth non-oscillating boost curve, without spikes... and an ECU that is very happy.

6) Multi-position persistent (e.g. stays where you set it) map switch. To allow you to go between stock, 91, 93, and the race gas tune on the fly with the turn of a dial. No more turning the car off first, and no more issues with leaving the race map on 24x7! Wireless options are not planned for now, but there are other options in the works for easy map switching from in the car.

7) Lean-cruise mode, for those of you looking for maximum fuel economy on your private roads. Ideally selectable via the map switch. BMS is also toying around with the idea of nerfing boost on this map to 2-3 psi, so your 335 feels like a 328. Perfect for when your "buddy" needs to borrow it.

8) Plug and play harness. JB3 harness is color keyed and completely plug and play for super easy install. Power and ground come through the harness directly so there are no external taps or grounds, and no extracting of power wires.... Just the 4 ECU sub connectors.
BMS may also offer a pin out harness for you bargain hunters out there.

TIMELINE and PRICING:
Development is on going and the schedule calls for beta testing throughout July, and a release in mid August. Price has not been set but BMS has floated the target of $749 for the plug and play harness version, and $529 for the pin out harness version.

BMS will be honoring their very popular upgrade policy for JB1 and JB2 customers. The policy allows the original purchaser of a JB1 or JB2 to receive a full purchase price credit towards the JB3. You simply buy the JB3 and return the JB1/JB2 after the swap for a refund. This policy does not allow trading in of "add on" parts like the H, R, and X upgrades.

RESULTS:
As far as power, it will really depend on the mapping and boost levels. BMS is a strong believer in boost taper and avoiding overworking the compressors so we expect the race gas map to be similar to the JBX race gas map. Meaning the upward limit is around 400rw on race gas.
The real benefit of the JB3 will be in the pump gas power, drivability, diagnostic invisibility, and ease of install/removal.

I will be adding dyno sheets to this thread as theybecome available.

Thanks again everyone for your support, These are exciting times for the N54!!!!
As always, visit www.RiXeffects.com/store/bms to purchase any BMS products!
-Rick

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Cool, good to see you over here Rixst3r!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Cool, good to see you over here Rixst3r!
Its cool to be here, I just sorta feel like a prisoner stuck in the commercial section...
I miss be able to participate in the community...

so many unanswered questions and I can't help out at all just because I am a reseller and get banned if I post outside here... boo
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
so many unanswered questions and I can't help out at all just because I am a reseller and get banned if I post outside here... boo
I'm pretty sure you can post outside this forum. You just can't post commercial posts (Advertising, mentioning you sell a part, etc).

At least, that's my understanding of it, I could be wrong.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I'm pretty sure you can post outside this forum. You just can't post commercial posts (Advertising, mentioning you sell a part, etc).

At least, that's my understanding of it, I could be wrong.
from the admin...

Quote:
... any posts or use of the forum thats even slightly commercial in nature outside the commercial forum will result in automatic lifetime ban that will not be reversed. So use the sponsors area for FREE for as long as you wish. But if you try to test us and post outside that area you will be banned without any recourse.
That was enough to scare me from posting anywhere...

I just feel bad because above all I am just an enthusiast... I LOVE these cars... and I wanna chat about them!!!!! I know the n54 inside and out, bought the first 335 sold in my area back in august of 2006... I have a wealth of info to share about the 135, but just keep my mouth shut because I am scared of forum admins... LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Hi Rick,

I know you know a lot about these cars. You're more than welcome to participate at 1Addicts outside of the Commercial forum. :smile: We ask that you just don't solicit outside of Commercial.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep

Sounds good, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Hi Rick,

I know you know a lot about these cars. You're more than welcome to participate at 1Addicts outside of the Commercial forum. :smile: We ask that you just don't solicit outside of Commercial.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
itsthechuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135, E34M, E30rally,S6, E30 M3

Some good info here, I am looking forward to the release of the JB3.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
BMW135iCA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Same here, very curious about the results it has compared to procede v3.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

^ I'm sure we'll find out soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Ok. This sounds great, but what about safety and reliablilty? So far the safest of anything sounds like SSTT or maybe Dinan since it's warrentied. Please give your thoughts about this Rick (don't want to endanger my future 135i).
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

UpGrade+, you might want to check out N54tech.com for specifics about that tune, and e90post for all of the available tuning options.

Just keep in mind that any tune has risks. You are doing something to this motor that the factory did not intend for you to be doing. Dinan says they'll cover you, but there have been people left standing there while BMWNA and Dinan are pointing fingers at each other. I wouldn't count on that Dinan warranty as covering everything BMW denies for warranty repair.
Appreciate 0