BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Introduction and my 1 series thoughts

Hello all, I am venturing from my domestic brews into the euros. I have been a Ford and Holden type up until now as I have champagne tastes and a tap water budget !
To cut a long story short I now have a 5 year old Xr8 out of lease and am looking to replace it and downsize as well. FWDs everywhere ... ugh.. pass.
Leaves me with really only Mercedes Benz and BMW. Nothing MB does compares with the 1 series.
That brings me to today. I weakened and took a 135 MT and a 125 step for a spin.
My initial impressions were all favourable .. a bit smaller than what I am used to but everything in its place and very functional. Everyone uses plastic but somehow Euros make better plastic.
The 135 goes like stink for a 71k Euro car, I think a few people will have red faces trying to take the little rocket on. Brakes.. spot on, handling ... spot on .. styling.. well, it's a persoanl thing but I think it's spot on. I was worried about the clutch and gearbox as I have a shoulder injury and it's part of why I want to get rid of the Xr8. I needn't have worried The clutch is feather light for the power and the gearbox is a dream.
The 125 was a convertible but I didn't bother taking the top down as I wanted to try a 125 auto .. sorry, step , for a spin. The 125 is nice but not my cup of tea, perhaps a manual would be different.
I now have to figure out how to afford one and a new house ! Unfortunatly the Xr8 now feels cheap and huge !
I don't know when I will get one but I am definitely a 1 series addict now ! I'll skulk around a bit, I have a lot to learn about these things and opening my eyes and shutting my mouth is the best way !
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Welcome.

I'm sure this forum will feed your addiction.

The 135i is good value for the money however you won't be getting one for $71K. It will cost you about $85K by the time you add on road costs and a few options. Still good value for a car with almost M3 type performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Greetings XA! Welcome to the forum. As per the above, $71K is just the start, which is why I went with the 125i manual. I'm paying around $72K on road after adding a few options, delivery and LCT. An auto convertible and manual coupe don't compare at all. Do yourself a favour and give the 125i coupe a shot... if you can find a demo in manual! I know Bib Stillwell in Prahran have an auto 125i coupe in stock. Marcus Campagna down there will sort you out if you're keen.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughs as you get closer to making a decision. Hope you're not in a rush, wait times are into next year for orders being placed now!
      06-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the welcome !
I am easy to please as far as options go and the 135 has a fairly full feature list in standard form. Onroads and dealer delivery will be the killer.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Hi xa-coupe..
Congratulations on your first step to buying a 1er by becoming an Aussie 1addict.
Mate, hopefully there should be more than enough info on this forum to help you along the way with your future purchase.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
Greetings XA! Welcome to the forum. As per the above, $71K is just the start, which is why I went with the 125i manual. I'm paying around $72K on road after adding a few options, delivery and LCT. An auto convertible and manual coupe don't compare at all. Do yourself a favour and give the 125i coupe a shot... if you can find a demo in manual! I know Bib Stillwell in Prahran have an auto 125i coupe in stock. Marcus Campagna down there will sort you out if you're keen.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughs as you get closer to making a decision. Hope you're not in a rush, wait times are into next year for orders being placed now!
Thanks Cozza,
I am thinking of waiting for the 135 to filter into the second hand market. Luckily I am defintely in no hurry .. which is lucky as I have noticed some serious waits until delivery ...as long as the Xr8 doesn't fall apart in the mean time that is !
I'll use my time to watch what happens with the market . I will use my time to drive the 125 manual before deciding. I like the fact that the 130 has 195 kw motor but prefer the coupe body over the hatch. Maybe the dollars will be the deciding factor.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Hi xa-coupe..
Congratulations on your first step to buying a 1er by becoming an Aussie 1addict.
Mate, hopefully there should be more than enough info on this forum to help you along the way with your future purchase.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Thanks Zuzu. The forum has been a gold mine so far. Every question so far I have has been answered by it and a test drive !
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

The 135i has everything you need in stock standard form except for a sunroof - and if you don't care for one then you're missing out on nothing! So you literally can walk away a satisfied customer without ticking a single options box - the only thing we ticked was sunroof, everything else the car has (and we have no care for in car TV/GPS) as Australia is just not big enough to justify anything more than a $40 UBD.

If you work for a large company see if you can score with the corporate programme - this will save you a load in dealer delivery charges.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

xa-coupe, welcome! Glad to see another big aussie car convert. My work colleague who is a big falcon fan took one drive of my vehicle and decided to buy one. Take your time and in 12 months time there will be a few second hand buy.

As for options, I agree that you don't really need anything. I bought a white car with active xenon being the only option. Don't miss anything else at all, and in fact the active xenon is also a waste of money as the car comes with standard xenon anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

xa-xoupe, as the others have said, welcome. I'm coming from a similar background to you, except I'm coming from the 6. I have a 5 year old XR6T and ordered the 135i based on a test drive of the 335i and LOTS of reading of reviews online. Now that I've driven one for real, it just reinforces my decision. I was a little worried the 135i would be too small, but it's not (and coming from the Falcon, that's saying something). As the others have said, the base 135i is pretty well optioned up, there aren't really any "must haves", just "wanna haves".

Enjoy your decision!
      06-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
flamezy
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
As for options, I agree that you don't really need anything.
+1 for the 135i

I could of bought the base 135i but that was out of my budget so i settled for the 125i with a few options. It's no slouch either.

Maybe I'll pick up something more powerful a few years down the track.
      06-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

flamezy, just noted that you are coming from a Camry. It is gonna be a massive culture shock for your adrenalin! Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys. I am actually now actively looking for a new job mainly so I can make sure I can afford the 135. I am due to make a change and this has provided the motivation .. pretty shallow huh ??
Luckily my present company participates in the corporate program ... so I need to juggle getting the new job and ordering the car whilst still at the old company !
I am resiting the desire to test drive one every weekend ... it's clear I am hooked !
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Why not look at the 130 5 door?
This has now dropped in price (lost some options) with the price shuffle of BMW and positioning of the 135 at the top of the pile.
Working out how to purchase could be done by working out you fuel usage on the XR8.
I am sure with the current petrol prices in Australia and the direction these are heading you could have a good case for extra lease payments just on the fuel savings alone.
Let me guess your XR8 is getting fuel economy in the > 16 Lt / 100 km and even possibly worse.
Currently my average in the 130 is 8.9!!
If you are set on a coupe then I guess the 128 is the way to go.
On another level I too come from an Aus car back ground, last 2 previous cars were a VT Berlina 5.7 and then a series 2 Monaro 5.7. The Monaro I loved and thought about another accept they changed the fuel tank for California and you ended up with a boot like an Elise.
Anyhow I have had the 130 for nearly 3 years now and I love to drive it. Sometime I miss the space of the big car i.e. 2 males in the front, a little too cosy for my liking but it is a great car, easy to drive, all the creature comforts and easy on the pocket for petrol.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Welcome to the forum xa-coupe!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #16
kizzorama
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

the aus spec 135 is and excellent $ for what you get comparatively. having said that its prolly gonna be around 80k on road. add nav, sunroof and metallic paint and 86k is the cheapest i found.

but thats still less than what I paid for my new 325i e90 in '06. A 135i represents MUCH better value when brand new than a 3 series, ie if you dont need the space...

btw, anyone want my e90 325i? I'll let it go for 60k :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:12 AM   #17
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Why not look at the 130 5 door?
This has now dropped in price (lost some options) with the price shuffle of BMW and positioning of the 135 at the top of the pile.
Working out how to purchase could be done by working out you fuel usage on the XR8.
I am sure with the current petrol prices in Australia and the direction these are heading you could have a good case for extra lease payments just on the fuel savings alone.
Let me guess your XR8 is getting fuel economy in the > 16 Lt / 100 km and even possibly worse.
Currently my average in the 130 is 8.9!!
If you are set on a coupe then I guess the 128 is the way to go.
On another level I too come from an Aus car back ground, last 2 previous cars were a VT Berlina 5.7 and then a series 2 Monaro 5.7. The Monaro I loved and thought about another accept they changed the fuel tank for California and you ended up with a boot like an Elise.
Anyhow I have had the 130 for nearly 3 years now and I love to drive it. Sometime I miss the space of the big car i.e. 2 males in the front, a little too cosy for my liking but it is a great car, easy to drive, all the creature comforts and easy on the pocket for petrol.

Good luck with your decision.
I have considered it and it is still a possibility. I need to take a manual for a spin as well as a 125 manual. My issue is the XR8 isn't standard and goes very well.. about the same or a little better than a 135 , at least in a straight line. I wish my fuel consumption was close to 16 lt per 100 !!

The car in my avatar is nearly back on the road ( again ) and will give me my ill handling overpowered underbraked gas guzzling thrills !
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
TMK001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Picsofthexacoupeorban!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #19
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMK001 View Post
Picsofthexacoupeorban!
before

After

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #20
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Nice. Although I would have stuck to wheels of that era...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #21
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Thanks. If I wanted 16x8 it wasn't going to be possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #22
TMK001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Get some convo pro's Hehehe!

I love the XA-C coupes... big and bad! My dad gets some work done at a factory in Thomastown and they used to have a wicked XB GT with 15x12 and 15x5 convo pros on it.... dark silver with black and a worked 351... mmmmm!

I had a picture of it on my phone, but cant find it any more! Serious show car and AWESOME straight line performance for weight etc. I wanted it
Appreciate 0