BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

What a car!!!!!!

Mentioned on another thread that I collected my car on Friday evening.

It's outstanding, even better than I expected.

Posted a thread with loads of pics on the main forum, but I have hi res pics that I can post on here if anyone wants to see anything in more detail.

Link to the main thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10001

I did the 'Golf Tee' mod with the ball bearings and it was really easy. Sound is much better at low revs and very raspy. I still have some left, so if you want one for free pm me.

Also installed the BMS Intake which really transforms the sound of the engine, with great whooshing noises between 2k and 4k rpm as the intake sucks in air. Easy to install too, so I will remove prior to service and put the stock one back, and then clean the BMS with a K&N cleaning kit.

The Logic 7 is better than I expected too, but I am a little disappointed with the USB Connection:

1) they charged for £40 for the ipod cable
2) you have to scroll through the albums from A onwards and it takes ages to get to w,x,y etc... why can't you just scroll backwards??? (I could do this on my old Alpine system)

The car is drinking fuel for fun at the moment but my driving style is not exactly good for mpg!

Just got to find a friendly garage to get my Riss Racing CDV installed and get my Garmin Sat Nav hard wired to avoid cable mess!

Also need to get it back into the dealer this week cause I have a few issues as mentioned on the main thread. The main one is that the steering wheel is slightly wonky. The tracking is okay, but I think when it was done in the factory the steering wheel was not prefectly straight. It's really irritating on the road, but I am sure they can sort.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Congrats on the new car, sounds like you are enjoying it!!!
      05-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

worth waiting for then !!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Vidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

You sound like you really hate this car!!!:thumbup:

Now all you have to do is the run in period!!! annoying isnt it!

Glad you like it, have fun! :headbang:
      05-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

NOW get it Superchipped and your really rockin!

I'll take on an M3 anytime

:smile:
      05-28-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It's under consideration!

This car really is silly fast.

I have done 500 miles and kind of *cough* went a little over 5k rpm in 2nd and 3rd...

With the lack of lag and all that torque from low down, I would give anything a go at the lights. You have to work quite hard to get even the new M3 off the line, so a 30mph traffic light grand prix could be interesting!

Had a few people have a little go, and even keeping the car below 4k, it's pretty easy to shake them off :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

You'll blow practically any 3 series away, even the older M3 will struggle to keep up as I found a few weeks on the motorway. The new M3 will be fun but I know the little beemer will eventually lose out on a straight run.

It's amazing just how many ppl you will see doing a sneaky glance at your car when at traffic lights or in traffic. I've even had ppl pull right up behind to get a good view then drop back again as they weren't sure what it was.

Glad to say so far the 135i is pretty unique where I live, not seen a single one. I hope it stays that way as the 3 series is as common as the Ford Mundano these days.
      05-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I've not seen another one either.

There's a girl at work who got a black 120d Coupe a week before me, but not seen another 135i yet.

I did have this guy in a modded A3 let me pull ahead to see the car from the back

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

from the first day i picked mine up i have had almost a ridiculous amount of looks, comments and seen every thing from Porsche's too 'chaved up' fiesta's pulling up and glancing across longingly at the lights.
Obviously being a diesel, i just plod away looking sensible, whilst seeing them leave behind £2.50 worth of rubber on the tarmac.

If only fuel hadn't doubled in the last few years i could have justified getting the silly petrol version, mind you i would have to have dumped most of my spec'd items to cover the extra basic cost!!

i think im going to have to persuade my dealer to let me have a blast in one, so i can appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The difference between petrol and diesel is likely to rise to 20-30p per litre over the next 6-12 months could be as much as £10 per tank.

I realise that this is not enough to 'beat' the 120/123's amazing fuel consumption, but I am confident that I can get 25-30mpg on most journies so the difference won't be as big as it used to be?

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
The difference between petrol and diesel is likely to rise to 20-30p per litre over the next 6-12 months could be as much as £10 per tank.

I realise that this is not enough to 'beat' the 120/123's amazing fuel consumption, but I am confident that I can get 25-30mpg on most journies so the difference won't be as big as it used to be?
And don't you get it paid for by work anyway?!
I'm a fairly low miler (7,000-8,000 pa) so for me a diesel has never really been on my radar. I currently get 28-30mpg average from an Audi 2.0T - I'm hoping (praying!) for at least 25mpg from the 135i - lots of short journeys just don't help me at all though!
      05-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

I actually got 40mpg+ out of a TT driving very sensibly on the motorway a couple weeks back. 75 mph, gentle acceleration and little traffic. Very impressive.

Makes me think that on my long motorway journeys to see family and friends, I can probably extract 33+ out of my 135i.

That way, when I get out on the twisties, I won't feel bad about burning fuel at an outrageous rate!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

my 120d has given me 36mpg for 2000 miles since picking it up, but ALL of my driving so far is round town and short trips such as the 5 miles to work every day ..

only been on the motorway about 3 times!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Vidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I took my 123d to a friends house and decided to go a be gently, i reset the MPG and then changed screen so i couldn't see how it was doing, as that would effect how i drove. Got to his place after going on mainly single carageways and a bit of duel and some town driving and averaged (over about 60 miles each way) 52.3MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! granted it wasnt all that much fun, but its nice to know the car can do it, also of note the roads were clear as it was about 8:30pm on a friday night.

Generally i average 45MPG to work and back as it is a simliar style of trip but only 15 miles, and obviously rush our means i get annoyed with people and quite often put my foot down!
      05-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
lpitt
Rep
Drives:

Doesn't seem to matter how I drive, mine always shows either 39.7mpg or 40.3mpg. I've given up and am treating it the same way I drove my old car which only did about 22mpg
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I do get my business mileage paid for, but not my private.

I had an amazing drive today - I went to Cheadle (Cheshire) via the A57 Snake Pass out of Sheffield.... it was superb, the road is awesome and we were on it at 9am with no other cars about!

However, after filling up in Glossop the TC was telling me I only had 236 miles range on the tank :eyebulge:

I kept it pretty much below 4 or *cough* 5k rpm too.

Still, took it easy on the way back and got the mpg back to a steady 25.

My friend has a 335i and claims to get 30-35 mpg on motorway cruises at 80-85mph, it's just a shame that 80mph feels so slow in this car.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

did an interesting experiment yesterday...

had a meeting in canary wharf, 45 miles away from my office in surrey. bit of B road, them 25 miles on M25, and say 15miles on the A2 then a small bit of traffic to the wharf.

On the way there i drove with cruise control on at a very steady 70mph.. in fact worryingly enough i don't think i actually touched a pedal for nearly 1/2 hour! The average mpg all the way there was 62.7mpg, in fact it was over 65mpg untill 1/2 way through the black wall tunnel!

on the way back, i drove totally normally, 75-80mph and driving away from lights etc with normally acceleration. The average mpg on the same journey reversed was 47.4 mpg.

Still not bad huh.. i spose it proves if you drive carefully you can really make these engines run on air, but the second you floor it all the hard work is gone!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Stuff mpg :biggrin:

I drove from Nottingham to Barnstaple today on mainly motorway - M1 / M42 / M5 and got so bored at 80mph (30+ mpg) that I decided to whoop anything that even atempted to have a go, quite a few reasonable scalps including a CLS Merc (debadged) that thought he was the fastest on the road until I stopped using 6th and changed down to 4th

This car is awesome... got off the M5 and used the 135i's devastating overtaking pace to dispatch so many cars and trucks, and even after a good hammering and a few *cough* 130+ (km/h of course) blasts I still managed 26.6mpg which is pretty impressive!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Great stuff! That's just what I wanted to hear. A nice new 135i without too many miles making more than 30mpg with some normal motorway driving, and not absolutely drinking petrol like it's going out of fashion.

That way, when I'm doing my trips down to Devon to see the parents or friends, I can cruise along and build up the mpg before absolutely booting it once I'm on the A38.

Of course, I've still got another 12 weeks to wait... Bugger
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

petrol heads.. !!!!

nm i'm only gutted i didnt get the 135 :roundel:
Appreciate 0