BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Navigation vs iPhone

I am sure some people are aware of this option, but I thought maybe one or two of you who are about to order your car might not be. I am opting not to get the navigation because the new iphone that is coming out in early June is going to have GPS on it. So, with the ipod adapter option, I will have a phone/mp3 player/GPS unit charging in my new Bimmer. So, rather than dishing out the $$ for the navigation unit (which ruins the lines of the dash IMO) I will dish out the $ for a new iphone and be able to get directions when I am lost. Before all of you flame me by telling that the idrive is much more than just navigation, I realize that, but just do not think it justifies the price. The reason for the new thread is that perhaps I could save someone a few thousand dollars.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

nothing wrong with that, aftermarket gps systems are often than the idrive navigation anyways.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
MrDrWatson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I use my Nokia N95 8Gb for navigation, but I'm opting for the Idrive. Remember you can always close the panel when you don't need to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Nuvifone comes out 3rd quarter of 2008.
True GPS with a phone and web browser.
Same size as the iphone, but it is black.
I believe it uses the roof antenna if wired correctly.
GPS & handsfree phone for $500 instead of $2850
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

wow I didn't know this. I am an Apple man, and may just get an iPhone down the road. Biggest argument for me against it is that it is just too bloody big. I like phones that you can carry in your pocket at all times without discomfort. I saved the money on the idrive as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
wow I didn't know this. I am an Apple man, and may just get an iPhone down the road. Biggest argument for me against it is that it is just too bloody big. I like phones that you can carry in your pocket at all times without discomfort. I saved the money on the idrive as well.
The iPhone is slim and fits in the pocket very nicely.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

don't mind carying my iphone everywhere. I did crack it yesterday though so be careful people! i was careless at work, at least it still works. i got the idrive, i dont want to have to look at a small screen for directions. who knows it might work well though, i just didnt want to take the risk. and i like how when someone calls your phone their name and number is displayed on the screen via bluetooth, it also works with park distant control if you have that, and oh yeah it looks cool too, in my opinion of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
sluday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

iphone is great but AT@t sucks. Also I heard that the new iphone may cost around $600 because of the upgrades. Just get a garmin for $300-600. It blows away any car and phone GPS on the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

I'm a long-time Apple fan, and bought an iPhone the first week they were out. I just wanted to caution you against relying on the next generation having GPS. Until they are actually announced, it's anyone's guess what it will have. Apple rumors run the gamut from "it won't even make calls anymore" to "it will clean your floors".

The only thing you can be certain of is that you'll be able to buy one with at least 16Mb of memory (because you can now), it will run all those new SKD apps that will be out, it will be more than you expect to pay, and I will buy one.

FWIW - the GPS-like triangulation the current model does with Google Maps right now is pretty slick. It serves my needs nicely.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
RobLS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
I'm a long-time Apple fan, and bought an iPhone the first week they were out. I just wanted to caution you against relying on the next generation having GPS. Until they are actually announced, it's anyone's guess what it will have. Apple rumors run the gamut from "it won't even make calls anymore" to "it will clean your floors".

The only thing you can be certain of is that you'll be able to buy one with at least 16Mb of memory (because you can now), it will run all those new SKD apps that will be out, it will be more than you expect to pay, and I will buy one.

FWIW - the GPS-like triangulation the current model does with Google Maps right now is pretty slick. It serves my needs nicely.

amy!
I agree with amy, ive been an apple fan for several years now, had my iPhone first day. Loved it since. You're really not paying for just a phone, but for future expandability as well. Just wait the couple weeks to find out if it wil have GPS or not. Most likely it will, a lot of trusty resources have said it. And the new triangulation thing works very well, as amy previously stated.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Doesn't the iphone triangulate using cell towers?
So it is not GPS?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
RobLS
Major
Rep

It uses cell towers and wifi hot spots
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

The rumor mill is saying that new specs will be released at WWDC - June 9th.

I also agree with the people above who mention some of the cheaper Garmin devices. I found a nuvi 200w for under $200 and am completely happy with it. In combination with my iPhone I have limitless POIs and easy to follow directions.
      05-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #14
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
Doesn't the iphone triangulate using cell towers?
So it is not GPS?
Yes, that's why I said "GPS-like triangulation".

However, the rumor is that the new iPhone will indeed have true GPS.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep

I have heard the rumors. If it does have true satellite-based GPS (which would be great), there is still no word about the mapping software that would be employed. If it uses google maps, then a constant data connection would be required for mapping functions. If it used a stored map on the device, a la TomTom, then it would be able to map without a data connection (which you might not always have, i.e. roaming off network, etc.)
      05-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Topher View Post
I have heard the rumors. If it does have true satellite-based GPS (which would be great), there is still no word about the mapping software that would be employed. If it uses google maps, then a constant data connection would be required for mapping functions. If it used a stored map on the device, a la TomTom, then it would be able to map without a data connection (which you might not always have, i.e. roaming off network, etc.)
How much storage space would be required for those maps? I'm expecting they'll announce a 32GB device this time, but even still, I don't want to sacrifice too much space for the maps. As it is, my 8GB can't even store 4 movies (I travel Boston to CA a lot and rent movies for my iPhone to watch on the plane). And I only have about 5 CDs worth of songs on it (just to have a little something to listen to).

amy!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #17
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep

Quote:
How much storage space would be required for those maps?
amy!
I currently have a Windows Mobile cellphone with integrated GPS and is using TomTom GPS software. The USA map, with all roads and points of interest (gas stations, hotels, post offices, and their respective phone #s, etc. takes just under a gig.
      05-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I use an iphone now for nav and it is dangerous unless you have a passenger. The accuracy is fine, it not only uses cell phone tower triangulation but also wifi access points from a database.

I got the nav so i can keep my eyes on the road and listen or glance over at it. Plus I got PDC which is cool to look at.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Quote:
How much storage space would be required for those maps? I'm expecting they'll announce a 32GB device this time, but even still, I don't want to sacrifice too much space for the maps. As it is, my 8GB can't even store 4 movies (I travel Boston to CA a lot and rent movies for my iPhone to watch on the plane). And I only have about 5 CDs worth of songs on it (just to have a little something to listen to).

amy!
I doubt the next gen iPhone will have any maps stored on it, that the map will be accessed from the Internet when you have a data connection. I do believe that the previous poster is correct in assuming that if you don't have a data connection you won't have maps.
      05-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by angkor View Post
I doubt the next gen iPhone will have any maps stored on it, that the map will be accessed from the Internet when you have a data connection. I do believe that the previous poster is correct in assuming that if you don't have a data connection you won't have maps.
+1
Appreciate 0