BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
brian51574
BBB
Rep
Drives:

USB - Lessons Learned

Hi All!

This is my first posting to this site. I picked up my 128i 6MT last week and have been enjoying the ride and my new stereo. I have the Premium Sound system and the IPOD/USB upgrade. I highly recommend the premium sound and USB. I used to work in high-end home audio and I find the bass in this car is nice and tight.

The following are some of the things I have learned in the past week. This may be repititious from other posts - sorry in advance.

I started using the iPOD touch in the car. To use this device you need to hook the aux input and the the USB cable. Thankfully, BMW supplies a very cool cable for the iPOD.

After one day - I realized that the iPOD is not the best solution to use in conjunction with this sound system. Let me explain - the USB connection for the iPOD is only used to transmit the song, artist, album, and playlist information to the head unit. The audio signal is provided by the AUX input. This is really the easiest solution for the iPOD and BMW because of the AAC (protected) files that many users purchase from the iTunes store. Since the head unit can not play back these files - you can only hear them through the analog AUX input. As a result, when you are using the iPOD there is a line level volume selector available on the head unit. If you set the line level volume past 4, the system starts to distort.

I did not try playing the regular (unprotected) AAC files or MP3 files from the iPOD with the USB - this may work as well.

Therefore I recommend using a USB flash drive or a portable hard drive that can be powered by the car's USB and fit in the tiny iPOD holder hidden below the armrest (dimensions = 5inches long, 2.85 inches wide, .6 inches thick).

When you put music directly on a flash or hard drive - the audio signal is transmitted to the head unit digitally. The signal is than converted to analog within the BMW head unit. In my opinion, the digital-to-analog converter in the head unit is far superior than the converter in the iPOD touch. Additionally, there is no line level selector when you use the USB slot without the AUX input. As a result, there is one clear volume control!

The head unit has the capability to remember up to 4 USB devices and up to 20,000 songs! If you enter in a fifth USB device, the processor will automatically purge the first USB device from its memory. I am using an 8Gb Sandisk thumb drive which fits perfectly and still allows the armrest to go down. I converted my AAC-protected files to WAV (and back to AAC 192kbs VBR) and removed the protection.

So now I have an inexpenisve solution that remains in the car at all times and I am not concerned if the thumb drive overheats becuase it is so cheap!

PLAYLISTS
I read a posting that said you can create shortcuts to your folders and the system would interpret the shortcuts as playlist. Perhaps I followed the instructions wrong, but this did not work for me.

The best thing to do is to first - transfer all your music to your flash or hard drive. I use the following folder hierarchy:

Artist - Album - Song per Album
Playlist - Name of Playlist

Once you have transferred the music, use winamp to create your playlists. This is so simple and takes minutes to complete the playlist!

Open the drive's folder - and winamp. In winamp select the icon "PL" for playlist. A large black window will appear below winamp. Simply drag and drop the songs you want in the playlist from your USB folder to the winamp window. To rearrange the playlist, drag and drop the songs in the correct order. When you are finished, click on the icon in the lower right corner and select "save list."

Name the playlist and place the file in the playlist folder on your thumb drive. The file extension should read .m3u. You will find your playlists appropriately under the list button on the BMW head unit. I believe there is no limit to the number of playlists you can create.

PITFALL - Albums

I noticed that when I wanted to listen to a complete album in order - the songs were sometimes categorized in alphabetical order instead of track order. I reviewed the flash drive and each song on the album was imprinted with the correct number. I believe this is a glitch. Therefore, I suggest creating a playlist if there is a particular album that you know you want to listen to in order.

______

* You can shuffle the entire flash drive by accessing the songs by artist - all artist and then selecting random from the head unit.
* If you select random, and turn the car off - the random will remain when you trun the car back on. This is sophisticated compared to my old iPOD adapter in my MINI.
* Make sure all your songs information is correct. I recommend checking in iTunes to make sure. You should have each song tagged for artist, album, and genre so they function properly in the car.

I hope this helps - and I am sorry if this is repitious for some.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
beeme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

great info...thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

The DAC issue has been widely discussed... search for DAC and you'll get a bunch of results discussing this. The iPod touch doesn't use the nicer Wolfram DAC most of the older iPods do, but it's still pretty good (I have an iPhone which has the same DAC). I'd encourage a double blind test as I suggested in my other posts to those very concerned with audio quality.

I agree about the bass - not as crazy distorted as in some other cars. I didn't have time in Europe to play with the EQ but I was impressed with how it sounds flat.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Wow, that is disappointing, but helpful information. I just assumed that the Ipod cable hooked to the USB port transmitting both sound and information. But I tried hooking my Ipod through the USB on my home Denon system just now, and you're right: no go. The Denon has it's own digital hookup for the Ipod with playlist, audio, and contro--> wish BMW used something similar.

Guess the USB hard drive is the way to go. Thanks for the info. I'll have to buy one before I pick up my car at the PDC. 900 miles is a log way to drive without tunes.
      05-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I saw LESSON LEARN and MY mind went to SIX SIGMA and TOLLGATES. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Well, if it was Six Sigma, you'd have done a SIPOC on the DMAIC, complete with an AHP and FMEA, maybe even a histogram or some Kano charts... You aren't a GE Lean Champion, are you? :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeme View Post
great info...thanks a lot
Agreed. Thanks mucho!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Just to stir this pot.. if you care at all about sound quality, you won't listen to an ipod at all. Sorry but the amps just suck. Of course the touch has some other cool abilities, but I'd go with Samsung (P2 for example)
      05-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

it won't matter how a person goes about plugging an iPod or any other device if the bitrate is low on the music file itself it the first place. Having said that, aux sucks if you're an audiophile with 320k bitrates. The DAC on the iPods aren't that great either.. No matter what sound system you have, if the bitrates is low the sound coming out will suck. Now most people don't mind or caneven tell the difference between low and high bitrate quality. I spent a lot of money on another hobby of mine which is being an audiophile but I don't spend as much time in my car to justify the purchase of upgrades to the standard audio which I think is not bass overbloated and is very clear with normal cd bitrates at 256k or around there.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
john970
1er
Rep

Since no one seems to want to read my earlier post I'll keep this one short.

"the amps just suck [on the ipod]" - no it doesn't
"aux sucks" - no it doesn't
"DAC on the iPods aren't that great either" - no it doesn't
"The Denon has it's own digital hookup for the Ipod" - no it doesn't

I've posted probably a books worth of info for those that care to search for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post

I've posted probably a books worth of info for those that care to search for it.
what Denon are you talking about?
      05-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonOne View Post
what Denon are you talking about?
Depending on your reciever you can use either the ASD-1R which is an actual dock, or the AK-P100 cable. I've never used either (I use front row on my mac mini to my denon 2807 via optical cable, which does transmit digitally) but both of them use the DAC on the iPod. Depending on your receiver the DAC on your iPod might actually be better anyway (it is a wolfram unit).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's a known fact that the DAC on the ipod aren't that great....

www.head-fi.com
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1013 View Post
It's a known fact that the DAC on the ipod aren't that great....

www.head-fi.com
I guess we have differing definitions of "known fact". That link is the homepage of the head-fi.com site, which has more misinformation on it than information.

Most of the iPods use a Wolfram DAC, same one used in $8,000 CD players and high end receivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
This is very helpful information, as I'm pondering buying / using CD's again (not burned CDs) rather than using my iPod even though I have the iPod/USB for the best overall playback on the premium audio.

So there is a definite sound difference between the iPod and portable HD?
      05-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
This is very helpful information, as I'm pondering buying / using CD's again (not burned CDs) rather than using my iPod even though I have the iPod/USB for the best overall playback on the premium audio.

So there is a definite sound difference between the iPod and portable HD?
Not to 99% of people, but 99% of people seem to want tell you there is and 100% of those people won't do a blind test...

And I'm not sure what you mean by portable HD, but a 256 or 320k mp3/aac file is as good as a CD in all but the most scientific settings / listening rooms.

Here's my sticky on it:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5865

I'm as anal about audio as the next guy, but hifi audio has gotten totally ridiculous as an industry lately.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Well, as an iPod/iPhone user, and iTunes user, I found that the new iTunes plus tracks are much much better. Their regular wasn't that bad in the first place, imo blowing out its competition. But the new itunes plus is said to be studio quality, and even better, no protection.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think it's 256kbps vs ACC which is apple lossless. Im not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
RobLS
Major
Rep

Its 256kbps AAC, unprotected, and for the same price as their regular. I'm for it, and I am able to notice the difference. And lately I've prefered AAC.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1013 View Post
I think it's 256kbps vs ACC which is apple lossless. Im not sure though.
Nope, AAC stands for Advanced Audio Codec. Apple Lossless is ALC (Apple Lossless Codec) and not available for purchase from the iTunes store. ACC is Atlantic Coast Conference I think

Regular itunes tracks are 128K AAC with FairPlay DRM,
iTunes Plus tracks are 256K AAC with no DRM
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #20
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

@john970
... What? I've listened to the same MP3 different units with the same headphones. No EQ. Same bitrate (320kbps.. always 320.. CBR), etc. Ipod = noticeably worse.. how on earth can you think otherwise?? Are you using stock earphones or something? They tend to make everything sound the same (crappy).
      05-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #21
RobLS
Major
Rep

mp3 sounds like things have gotten muffled, aac seems to give a broader range. I try to stay away from mp3, maybe thats where you going wrong stefan.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #22
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Smile

Quote:
I guess we have differing definitions of "known fact". That link is the homepage of the head-fi.com site, which has more misinformation on it than information.

Most of the iPods use a Wolfram DAC, same one used in $8,000 CD players and high end receivers.
What are you talking abuot?

Wolfrom? its actually Wolfson. The DAC really means SFA. Its the analogue output stage and power supply that make the difference, the fact that the Linn Klimax DS and the Ipod use a Wolfson DAC means ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH.
Appreciate 0