BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
days-like-this
Waiting for 135 ED :)
Rep
Drives:

Smile Canadian winters...?

Hey all...

I'm going to be relocating from the U.S. to Toronto this winter. I'm psyched about living somewhere new.

My situation: I am ordering a 135i coupe, will be going to Germany for ED in June/July, then Re-Delivery of it at the Performance Center in South Carolina, then licensing it in my home state in the U.S. as I'll still be here a few months (and my timeline isn't exactly nailed down).

l then be driving it across the boarder (sometime this winter) and dealing with all the red tape for the modifications, per what I read on your customs website, etc.

My biggest worry right now isn't the modications to the car, but the weather.....:iono: ???

I currently live in a ski town, where people think I'm downright CRAZY for getting a RWD car. Even for Toronto (and for touring the rest of Canada for that matter) will dedicated snows be okay? When should I plan on getting these on? Am I nuts?

This will be my only vehicle and I LOVE roadtrips.....:roundel:

Any advice? Assurance? (ha ha).

I cannot WAIT to drive into YYZ.......WOOT!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by days-like-this View Post
Hey all...

I'm going to be relocating from the U.S. to Toronto this winter. I'm psyched about living somewhere new.

My situation: I am ordering a 135i coupe, will be going to Germany for ED in June/July, then Re-Delivery of it at the Performance Center in South Carolina, then licensing it in my home state in the U.S. as I'll still be here a few months (and my timeline isn't exactly nailed down).

l then be driving it across the boarder (sometime this winter) and dealing with all the red tape for the modifications, per what I read on your customs website, etc.

My biggest worry right now isn't the modications to the car, but the weather.....:iono: ???

I currently live in a ski town, where people think I'm downright CRAZY for getting a RWD car. Even for Toronto (and for touring the rest of Canada for that matter) will dedicated snows be okay? When should I plan on getting these on? Am I nuts?

This will be my only vehicle and I LOVE roadtrips.....:roundel:

Any advice? Assurance? (ha ha).

I cannot WAIT to drive into YYZ.......WOOT!
That depends where you will be living in Metro Toronto, and where you will bve commuting to. Personally, I'd consider parking it from Christmas to March 1st just because of the salt on the roads during winter in Metro Toronto.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
days-like-this
Rep
Drives:

Hmm, good point on where I'll be driving it to during the week. I suppose if I'm working right downtown then I'll be taking the subway anyway. Where I currently live is they use salt on the roads as well. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Dude,
Don't worry about Toronto winters..
Yah, we just had one which was colder and longer and more snow than normal, but on average Toronto get's very few snow days during the winter months - Far fewer than our neighbours south of the border in upstate NY.
I see tons of Bimmers on the road all winter regardless of the weather outside and driving with apparently no difficulties..
The only thing y'alls should do is get a set (4) of good snow tires and you'll be able to handle anything ol' man winter throws your way..
As for road salt, fogedaboudit.. There's not much salting and unless you plan to hold onto your Bimmer for more than 12 years, it's not an issue...
      05-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
days-like-this
Rep
Drives:

Carnut, thanks :smile: I was actually in Toronto (Vaughan actually) this year when you got the killer snow storm on March 8. Those are the storms I'm used too all the time here in Utah, but it sounded like a very rare incident.

So when would you throw on the snows? November?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

We sometimes get an small snowfall as early as mid November, but then usually little until mid to end December.
We gone many years recently when you wouldn't see a snowfall of any significance til mid January..
This year has been exceptionally brutal in the Toronto area even though it is nothing compared to what they get in Buffalo or Rochester, NY (or in many other parts of the U.S.).
The fact that 95% of people in this area drive all year on their worn out "all seasons" or "summer performance tires" will give you a pretty good idea of how tough the winters really are (or aren't) around here.
But, yah, I'll be putting snows on my baby by early November (just in case)..
      05-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Not sure if this can be done but as you are doing ED delivery you should see if they can do a Canadian spec (daytime running lights) on your car. It will save you mucho hastle and $ when you try to import, plus you'll get the 261 rims

And if your worried about the weather and road salt, move to Vancouver instead.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
days-like-this
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
Not sure if this can be done but as you are doing ED delivery you should see if they can do a Canadian spec (daytime running lights) on your car. It will save you mucho hastle and $ when you try to import, plus you'll get the 261 rims

And if your worried about the weather and road salt, move to Vancouver instead.
Ack, so daytime running lights aren't spec on U.S. 135's? (I guess I need to find out). I just assumed they were. I love the 261 rims...love them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ack, so daytime running lights aren't spec on U.S. 135's? (I guess I need to find out). I just assumed they were. I love the 261 rims...love them.
No they are not. BMW Canada is making importers change their instrument clusters.

Check out this website for some very helpfull import info and resources;

www.ucanimport.com

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

It'll be just fine with winter tires. I've driven RWD sports cars in winter without any form of traction control, so I'm sure someone can manage in a 135i. Hell, there is a crazy guy in my condo that drove his G37 all of last winter on the stock 19" summer tires, and Edmonton winters are far worse than Toronto.

We had another thread about this a few weeks ago... it's not an issue.
      05-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
e36chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

you will survive with winters like most people do here, but definitely my opinion invest in a winter beater for the winter months, dont wanna invest in a 60K car to see it waste away cause of our salty roads
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

While here, 680 NEWS AM radio is your best friend. I tell everyone to check the roads before coming or going. Black ICE happens on our roads too (all be it, seldom). It's the idiots who forget to give more room between cars, zip in and out of lanes, and they think they have winter tires on a 4x4 truck (probably bald all season).

If you have NAV and it tells you bad roads etc, that would work too. (never tied it yet though)

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
days-like-this
Rep
Drives:

Good thoughts, thanks guys. I've never driven in black ice, just packed snow.

The U.S. BMW brochure literature says:

"Programmable daytime running lights."

Also, I'll read the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I'm sure the US model has DRL's... they're becoming standard in the US on almost all new vehicles now. It took the Americans quite a while to realize how good of a safety feature they are, but at least its finally being implemented.

For areas that use salt on the roads, just make sure you're keeping your car waxed and you're washing it often.

Out here in AB we use sand/gravel so it's not as big of an issue.
      05-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Another quick tip on salt... I suggest paying a few bucks more and selcet the "car wash undercarriage". The basic carwash does not always mean you get everything washed.

I was told by my dad years ago too that leaving the car out in the cold is better than parking underground as the rust happens most when the ice on the car melts. It's not like the car will fall apart if you just experience salt roads a few times. I only mention this car wash stuff as many people like to wash their own cars, and forget the salt on the bottom. (esp if you are not used to winter here.)

Oh and you didn't hear this from me... I often ask be4 I go through, "If it's not clean perfectly, can I go through again?" I always get a YES. If I find a spot that doesn't get rinsed off, they don't care, and just let you go through again. Just don't expect the car wash person to smile. *smile*

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'd suggest never taking a car to a drive-thru car wash at all. If it can't be hand washed then a wand-wash place is the way to go. You can get the wand and spray all the wheel-wells and such very easily.
      05-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
days-like-this
Rep
Drives:

Since we have salt on our roads here, I also opt for the undercarriage spray...

Mid-tone metallics seem to handle the auto carwash pretty well. I'm worried to use it on Alpine White or Crimson Red.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #18
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Good thoughts, thanks guys. I've never driven in black ice, just packed snow.

The U.S. BMW brochure literature says:

"Programmable daytime running lights."

Also, I'll read the other thread.

The key word is "progammable" which means they can be turned on or off. The Canadian cars dtrl's can not be turned off.

Appreciate 0