BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Willie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Are Canadian packages different?

I've noticed a difference between Canadian and American packages - I picked up my 128 vert with the sport and premium packages. I've been looking at the picutures of other 1's on this site and the american sport package on the 128 seems to stock the cars with the smaller 17inch rims and a regular steering wheel whereas my car came with the 18inch'ers and the msteering wheel... so my question is why does bmw set their packages up different in Canada than the US? (Not that I'm complaining - I think the rims that came on my car are super hot).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Simoncanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 3 series

Willie, What is the different between the M-steering wheel vs. non-M ? Do you actually see the M-logo?

I ordered my cabrio with the SP, I am so thrilled.....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Willie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The sport steering wheel is smaller and fatter than the standard wheel - it feels awesome in your hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Simoncanada
Private
Rep

Good to know. I think the Canadian 128i is supposed to be more upscaled (as reflected on the pricing) than the US counterpart. It also has Xenon as standard equipment.

With the SP, do you find your car bumpy over our GTA potholes? Are you happy with the power on your 128i? Any mini review.

For me, it's a pain to wait another two months.

I ordered mine with SP anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Willie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Yankee - I've only got 500km on the car so far but here's a little mini review:

Details: 128 Convertible, Black, Moonlight Black soft top, Xenon, sport package (18 inch run flats, sport seats), premium package, manual transmission, Convenience access.

Looks: Car is a looker, black on black on black makes this car look like a hot piece of sex - looks like a much more expensive car than it really is.

Ride: With a 6 speed tranny this car feels zippy and fast - its quick off the line and feels like a toy driving it around town (note I'm not a speed guy). The sport suspension coupled with the run flats does give the 1 a bumpy ride when going over potholes though - its not bad but it's definetley not butter smooth. The gearbox has short, sporty strokes - as discussed on here there isn't the smoothest of shifts going from 1 - 2 but for me its not a big deal. I was on the highway this past weekend and at 140km/hr I was at 3k rpm - and felt like I was standing still - although this is the "smaller" of the two engines believe me it doesnt feel under powered at all... on any other car this would be the bigger more expensive engine option - unless you are an enthusiast you will love the 128's engine.

Interior: I like the interior everything is laid out smart without much confusion - I have the BMW proefessional stereo and love the sound quality - the USB feature wont work with your ipod but you can plug it into the other 3.5mm plug. The sport seats are fantastic they are a must have upgrade if you ask me. They are supportive yet not too firm, the 3 stage heated seats are also a must have for anyone with a convertible in canada. The rain sensor is also a great upgrade - no more fumbling constantly with windshield wiper speeds. The back seat is tight but ok for 1 person.

Convenience access: This is a mandatory upgrade in my opinion - no more digging into my girlfriend's purse looking for my keys - just touch the door handle and press the start button and off you go. Another great thing about this option package is you can remotely drop the top - which will be a great in the summer when the black interior is super hot. For the price get this option you won't miss it if you dont have it but once you do have it you'll wont understand why anyone wouldn't get it!

Convertible: The top can be raised or lowered at speeds up to 40 k/hr which is a nice feature. The one touch is nice, no fumbling with latches. This is my first convertible and I love it - all of the sudden driving isn't the means to an end - I find myself looking for excuses just to drive around - a convertible makes your car a toy.

Hope this helps...

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Simoncanada
Private
Rep

Thanks for the awesome review Willie, just a couple quick questions. What is the noise level like at highway speed (130-140km) compare to a non-convertible? Do you see going on long trips would be a problem with high noise level? Are you going to buy winter tires for next winter? I heard the 18 inch RFT has a relatively short tread-life, someone mentioned it will last only about 35000km and the replacement will cost $3K.

I saw a black one at the dealer this weekend and it looks amazing, especially with the black moonlight top. I ordered white because it's the color I always wanted.

By the way, heated seats are standard for all Canadian model.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Willie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

[quote=Yankee;109139]What is the noise level like at highway speed (130-140km) compare to a non-convertible? Do you see going on long trips would be a problem with high noise level? Are you going to buy winter tires for next winter? I heard the 18 inch RFT has a relatively short tread-life, someone mentioned it will last only about 35000km and the replacement will cost $3K.
quote]

Road noise isnt really an issue - sure it's louder than the coupe but honestly I didn't notice the road noise at all this past weekend... This car is super comfy inside for 2 people and would be great for long road trips - I feel bad for the dude in the back seat on a long drive though - but thats why I bought the car so it won't be me back there!

As for the tires - I'm worried about the replacement cost... yikes! I will be putting winter tires on my 1 - hopefully this will drag out the lifespan of the existing tires... Once it's time to replace I really doubt I'd get run flats - I'm not a big fan...

When did you order your car? I walked into the dealership at the end of March and picked my car from their inventory list... I was shocked to see that 90% of their 128 vert's were automatic.... I can't imagine having an automatic tranny on this car - boooring.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Simoncanada
Private
Rep

I ordered my car in mid February, but I am very specific on what I want on my next Bimmer (the last E36 lasted me 13 years and it's still running great as a daily driver today). I don't want any options other than SP and I only will take alpine white, this is why I have to wait for 3 months.

I might regret on not ordering the comfort access later on, but I am fine as long as you don't give me more reasons to have CA.

Totally agreed with you, I checked at a dealership this weekend, 6 out of 6 128i cabrio are automatics and I couldn't believe it. Why are people buying such a wonderful machine with an automatic? maybe they are targeted to the lady group? I have no clue.

There were two black cabrio side by side, one with moonlight black and one without, the moonlight blace one just stand out perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Simoncanada
Private
Rep

Willie, do you know if I can install replacement 18 inch tires without RFT on our 128i? Will it affect the suspension setup because the car was designed based on RFT?

Winter tires will be easy, we can basically get a set of 17 inch (205/60/17) with rims for around $1K.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
cks0213
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Canadian 128i does not get a xenon standard.
It's given the halogen... but for the people who aren't going for the
xenons... think again and get it! I regret not getting the xenons...
plus they are much more expensive to do in aftermarket...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cks0213 View Post
Canadian 128i does not get a xenon standard.
It's given the halogen... but for the people who aren't going for the
xenons... think again and get it! I regret not getting the xenons...
plus they are much more expensive to do in aftermarket...
You shouldn't generalize std or optional features to all Canadian 128i models as Xenons ARE standard on all Canadian 128i Cabrios..
      04-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
You shouldn't generalize std or optional features to all Canadian 128i models as Xenons ARE standard on all Canadian 128i Cabrios..
Indeed, and he's wrong on the "much more expensive to do aftermarket" as well... good xenon kits with Phillips ballasts are only $400-500 total with install.
      04-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Are the aftermarket units self-levelling?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
Are the aftermarket units self-levelling?
None that I know of are.

Obviously factory is the way to go, I'm just saying that technically speaking aftermarket HID's are cheaper.
      04-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
cks0213
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i bought a 128i coupe... sorry for the wrong info...
I thought the cabrio didn't come with them std...
and aftermarket part... i meant oem BMW parts.
But again thx for the corrections!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #16
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
None that I know of are.

Obviously factory is the way to go, I'm just saying that technically speaking aftermarket HID's are cheaper.
And illegal.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
And illegal.
There goes that!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Retrofitting is not illegal here at least...I run a shop we do that often. Plus retrofitting on a Bmw is not as obvious as doing it on a Kia Rio. I dont know if a cop is dumb enough to pull over a bmw telling the owner you installed H.I.D. However some people are overdoing it i.e slapping these cheap 8K or 10K china kit with no projector on a civic.
Appreciate 0