BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Riddler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Canadian Invoice / Wholesale Pricing

Just curious if anyone has come across this information? I know we have msrp numbers but I'm wondering the markup the dealerships are making? Similar info is availible for the US wondering if we can get the same info for Canada and see what the dealers are paying?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

this would be a good one, there are so many grey areas where dealers just pocket money... the admin fee for one. I figure they take at least 3k per car sold at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'm not sure if there's a free source for that info in Canada. I've used CarCostCanada.ca in the past, but you have to pay a small fee for it.

Don't forget that even if you find out exactly the dealer costs, 'hidden' rebates, floor charges, etc, etc -- if you're trading in another vehicle, that presents another opportunity for the dealer to make up anything they "give away to you" on the other parts of the deal. Trade in values are the most nebulous ones to pin down since there are so many variables - condition, options, local demand... You're in the strongest position if you sell privately and then can negotiate knowing all of the dealer's other costs.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
easytogo
Rep
Drives:

If someone got the invoice price, could that be posted?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

I'll post the invoice pricing when I finally go car shopping, but that wont be until the fall.
      04-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
vanjaG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

For the base 135i:

MSRP:41700
Invoice:38365

M Sport Pckg:
MSRP:1600
Invoice:1472
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What is the holdback percentage on BMW's, 3%? This would make the true invoice price of a pre-sold vehicle $37214.05
      04-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Riddler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

vanja how do you have those invoice numbers? and do you have any more?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^ what do you mean by holdback %?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
^^^ what do you mean by holdback %?
The manufacturer rebates a percentage of the MSRP back to the dealer to try and offset the cost of financing the inventory over the first 90 days that the vehicle sits on the lot.

This is how a dealer can sell a car below invoice and still turn a profit.

This rebate percentage is most valuable to the consumer as a tool of negotiation on pre-ordered vehicles as the dealer will be realizing the full benefit of hold back. This tool becomes less valuable the longer the car sits on the lot (and then ceases to mean anything after 90 days of the car sitting on the lot).
      04-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

koala you know everything!

makes me feel disappointed with my 1k discount
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
koala you know everything!

makes me feel disappointed with my 1k discount
I'm a retail business owner and I've bought a lot of cars, so I have learned one or two things in my day :biggrin:

Don't be disappointed with your discount. 1k off really isn't that bad. I'm not saying I could negotiate it any lower, but I haven't tried yet so I don't know.
      04-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

yeah I know... it;s hard to convey certain things with text.

I like negotiating too... I've always got discounts on my cars... sometimes more for the principle than the principal (drum fill)...

regardless, I had this conversation with a friend at work who used to be in charge of buying fleet vehicles at another company:
I think that deep inside, these guys love it... they like "consulting with their manager", they love to say "unfortunately, that's the price", just like we love pretending to walk away... oh, deep inside, it's a vice... so we play the game.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They must be narcissists deep down because as a retail salesperson I hate playing those games and I don't let my employees play them either.

In today's market I make salespeople work harder to earn my business. Just because a car is "in demand" doesn't mean the customer shouldn't be treated with respect. I went to test drive an Audi TT the other day just to see if I might be interested in it. The salesperson was AWFUL. Even if I had liked the car enough to want to buy it (which I didn't after driving it), there is no way in hell that guy would get my business.
      04-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

so I guess you're suggesting that we can negotiate on the price based on the holdback %...so are you sure the holdback is 3%?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
^^^

so I guess you're suggesting that we can negotiate on the price based on the holdback %...so are you sure the holdback is 3%?
No I'm really not certain on the holdback percentage. I was hoping someone here would know for sure. But yes, if I were taking immediate delivery of a pre-ordered car I'd want the 1, 2... 3% whatever the number is back in my own pocket. Whether or not they'll even do this is a totally different story of course.

It's not like you can ask the dealer for that number either because they like to pretend it doesn't even exist (I think they're a bit taken back when a customer even knows this term-- it was never meant to be a publicized discount-- even the invoice pricing websites don't mention it).
      04-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One other thing I'll mention about getting deals. My usual tactics involve emailing/faxing multiple dealers for quotes by a certain deadline, but on my CX-7 I decided to try out carcostcanada.com to see what would happen.

Basically they have specific car dealers they partner up with that automatically get your information when you request invoice pricing on their brand of vehicle.

When I did this on the CX-7 I had a phone call within 2 hours and an offer of invoice + $200 to ship the vehicle (dealer had to pull the vehicle from southern Alberta and being that I wanted that specific colour/option pkg I was willing to pay the $200 freight on top of invoice-- normally I wouldn't).
      04-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^^

Great stuff....carcostcanada.com seems pretty effective....I'm pretty sure going to a dealer to get invoice price is way tougher...From my experience, I have never or very rarely seen people walk out of a dealer and get invoice.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
Riddler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

knowing invoice numbers only leverages your bargaining position as a consumer. Knowing what they're making allows you to make an offer somewhere between the "actual" price and the msrp. Any more invoice numbers floating around out there?
Appreciate 0