BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
zeroaltitude
Rep
Drives:

The Rear of the 135i

Hello,

Check out this thread:

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2331

In particular, the photo in this post: "This is simply an image of everythign neatly arranged in the way that it sits underneath the boot floor...." There is a silver box across from the amp Nolz installed. That silver box is the satnav unit. Under that box is another unit.

In my 135i, stock audio system with NO premium audio upgrade, without the nav option, it is very obvious that this device (the one that would be UNDER the satnav if I had that option) has something to do with the audio system. It's wired in to a bunch of connectors, and there's yet more connectors that are not attached -- presumably these other connectors are for add-ons such as the CD changer, the satnav, etc.

My question: what is this unit that is in my car, and is under the satnav in Nolz's car? Is it an amp? Why does it have an FCC number and a bluetooth symbol on it (I have neither bluetooth nor BMW Assist on my car)? Does this unit, if it is an amp, power the rear speakers? Does it power all the speakers?

I want to know what is in my car.

Thank you in advance,

Eddie
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

I believe it is the TCU or telephone control unit. Even though you may not have bluetooth and assist, the car is still "pre-wired" for mobile phone and probably has a TCU.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroaltitude View Post
Hello,

Check out this thread:

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2331

In particular, the photo in this post: "This is simply an image of everythign neatly arranged in the way that it sits underneath the boot floor...." There is a silver box across from the amp Nolz installed. That silver box is the satnav unit. Under that box is another unit.

In my 135i, stock audio system with NO premium audio upgrade, without the nav option, it is very obvious that this device (the one that would be UNDER the satnav if I had that option) has something to do with the audio system. It's wired in to a bunch of connectors, and there's yet more connectors that are not attached -- presumably these other connectors are for add-ons such as the CD changer, the satnav, etc.

My question: what is this unit that is in my car, and is under the satnav in Nolz's car? Is it an amp? Why does it have an FCC number and a bluetooth symbol on it (I have neither bluetooth nor BMW Assist on my car)? Does this unit, if it is an amp, power the rear speakers? Does it power all the speakers?

I want to know what is in my car.

Thank you in advance,

Eddie

The amp for the speakers (all 10 of them) are in the trunk. Just because YOUR car doesn't have satalite radio or HD radeo, doesn't mean your car isn't equiped with those devices.

BMW assist in case of an emergency, may be equiped, I am not sure.

Missing your point of your post, though. What is it that your trying to do? Add an amp?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

the silver box in the picture you mentioned is actually a ULF which is strictly for bluetooth connectivity. that single coaxial white connector is for the bluetooth antenna. US cars don't come equipped with a ULF

if you don't have assist or premium pack. the control module you are looking at should be the control module for the USB/IPOD interface, or the MULF. do you have option 6fl?

the additional wiring would be for a TCU mounted on top of the MULF, and Sirius Radio (SDARS) which is mounted to the left of the MULF and TCU.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
So, what is the car that he is installing into? The last picture shows a 3-place rear seat so it isn't a 128 or 135. That could make a difference in the equipment.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
zeroaltitude
Rep
Drives:

Thank you for all the useful information. The photos I link to are from a hatchback, however, the interior of the trunk (boot) look identical all the way down to the placement of the MULF.

For reference, here is the FCC information about this unit, which I got by going here: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm and entering in the FCC information on the label of the unit:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout =500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=454293&fcc_i d='T8GMULF2-HI'

Thanks again for all the help! My audio project nears implementation!

Eddie
Appreciate 0