F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stage 2 Bmw 435i Drivetrain Malfunction
proTUNING Freaks

12-03-2023, 10:23 PM   #1
Razeh
Rep
Drives: 2015 f32 435

Stage 2 Bmw 435i Drivetrain Malfunction

Hey y’all so current setup on the 2015 435 is BM3 Stage 2 VRSF Race Intercooler CTS Turbo chargepipe and VRSF Catless Downpipe with Dinan Coils and NGK Plugs about 90k miles, i’ve been running this setup for about 2 years now and have had almost no issues i introduced the upgraded plugs and coils about a year ago now but still everything ran perfectly fine at the time, about a month ago i was sitting in the parking lot at work waiting for my time to go inside, the car temp was up to operating temp and i noticed that my rpm would drop down and then the engine would stutter and shake the car and shoot up the rpm to make it not die and it did that about 3 times in a row before it would kill the engine and introduced the drivetrain malfunction. At the time i wasn’t to worried since the car started back up just fine. I took a look at the codes and the following is what popped up when read under BM3’s code reader

160021.) Crankshaft Sensor: general lost of synchronization
160001.) Crankshaft Sensor, signal: missing
120408.) Boost Pressure Control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction
190F08.) Tank Ventilation System: Malfunction (i’ve had this one for a while before the others)

I usually am the one that will work on my car thanks to the help of y’all on the forums, however this time with this issue everywhere i searched i could not find someone else who has had this same problem, so i took a sad drive to a trusted mechanic who has worked previously on my other bmw. Whenever i took it in i told them about the codes but they could not find an issue at first but then they had found that i had blown a hose after running a smoke test on the car. I got the car back and thought everything was fine until about a day later it did the same exact thing. The car would rev itself to try and stop it from dying until it eventually dies and shows up the drivetrain malfunction, also on the highway i would cruise at 80MPH i could notice the car sputtering feeling like it was misfiring and it eventually would also kill itself putting me in neutral and popping up the drivetrain error. However when I go to start the car again the error disappears i’ve had it stay a couple times but most of the time it will just disappear and the car would run as nothing just happened. I took it back to the mechanic and he wasn’t able to find an error as it shows nothing in the system and after an extensive check he couldn’t find anything majorly wrong with the car to make it have a drivetrain error.
So i’m asking for anyone of y’all’s help if y’all have had this issue before and know a solution i would love to know. I took a datalog of the car today since it really hasn’t been running like it use to i did notice that knock was detected at some point and my timing seems to be all over the place so if someone that knows logs could take a look at it and see an issue i would also love to know. Thank you

Datalog.) https://bootmod3.net/log?id=656cc4f0fc99e002d615a314
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 12:41 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Not much to glean from the log based on a quick look but it certainly seems like a crank sensor or wiring issue. If the DME loses crank signal i assume it would turn off, i know that's the case on other cars if they lose cam or crank signal
Appreciate 0