BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
cody joaquin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

fitment questions

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm wondering: l. How close does the offset of aftermarket wheels need be to the OEM wheels to fit? There do not seem to be many alternative wheels out there close to 49/52. 2. Are same size tires front and rear the ideal for neutral (less understeer) handling? Is there any benefit to the rear tires being 10 or 20 mm larger? Obviously if I try to keep them all equal then the size of the rear tires will be limited to what fits up front. Tire Rack says they're unable to predict what will fit until they get a car (they're concerned about clearance of the control arms among other things).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

in order to fit, it just has to fit in the wheel well and clear the brakes and not rub on anything. how much leeway will we have? no idea, need to have someone take measurements of the car.

a lot more than just tire sizes affects the handling of the car. so while having same size tires front and back would be neutral just related to tires, theres a lot more going on that determines the end result.

benefits to having larger rear tires: bigger contact patch, more traction on the power wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

The European guys on babybmw.com have had a couple of years to sort out wheel fitments on the 1-series hatches, which should be very similar to the coupes. You might find time spent there beneficial. I'm planning on swapping front to rear--rear to front for a trial drive around the block to see if there are any issues with 245 tires on 18x8.5 up front. Depending on the outcome of that test, I may order up a set of wheels in 18x8.5 or 18x9 for track duty.