BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
needanewcar
Rep
Drives:

Sound System in bmw

whats the deal- why cant bmw put in an audiophile system like lexus? if this is one of my biggest reason to hold back on the 135, what suggestions do you guys haveon getting a bmw with a better sound system?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
2ksc
Rep
Drives:

it sounds like you need a lexus with a 12-speed auto not a driving machine....i could care less how the stereo sounds in the 135
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by needanewcar View Post
whats the deal- why cant bmw put in an audiophile system like lexus? if this is one of my biggest reason to hold back on the 135, what suggestions do you guys haveon getting a bmw with a better sound system?
Install it yourself? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I care about car stereo, too. I don't have the stereo on when I'm autocrossing my car, but when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic and my leg is cramping from the clutch? Hell yeah!

I would gladly pay to upgrade to a true audiophile-quality system. But I won't pay to upgrade to a mediocre 10-speaker system. Instead I will just move my existing components into the 1er and use a JL Audio Clean Sweep to integrate it with the exisiting head unit.

While I think truly good sound should be offered, the lack of it wouldn't stop me from buying the car given all the aftermarket alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Simply put, an audiophile sound system isn't fit for the target market of the 1 series car. The majority of consumers don't find a need or want strong enough to warrant the option of having an audiophile Mark Levinson styled system.

Although I too would enjoy an upgraded sound system. I can imagine the amount of weight added for proper tweeters, amplifiers, subwoofers and to ensure proper sound deadening would discourage my want for such a system.

That said, does anyone here know approximately how much the "premium" sound system offered by BMW traditionally weighs in comparison to their stock systems.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I don't think the noise floor in the 135i will be approriate for an audiophile grade setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
needanewcar
Rep
Drives:

thx for the responses. an audiophile system is probably overkill, but the bmw stock components I was not too impressed with, and I probably do not want to pay for their "premium" upgrade. So you think I can leave the stereo interface as is, and just upgrade the speakers and I should be good to go?I'm not looking to fill the trunk with capacitors (ie, pimp my ride style), but even for ~35k$, I would expect a better stereo system than what i've heard so far in other bmws.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

The words Audiophile and Car are not compatible, period.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So you think I can leave the stereo interface as is, and just upgrade the speakers and I should be good to go?I'm not looking to fill the trunk with capacitors (ie, pimp my ride style), but even for ~35k$, I would expect a better stereo system than what i've heard so far in other bmws.

Everybody I've talked to says JL's Clean Sweep is the shiznit when it comes to factory integration. You really should start there, because factory heads do a lot of screwy stuff to an audio signal. Get that + a decent amp + decent speakers (and maybe a small sub) and you will be lightyears ahead of the "factory" premium system.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive GC

the problem with a loc or clean sweep or 3sixty, etc. is that you are still dependent upon the factory head unit for your source, and that can really have a negative impact on sound quality, and gives you few options for tuning. I plan on getting an aftermarket hu, I just wish there was a double din opening for a large touchscreen. I guess I'll have to go with a single din (avic-n4, alpine d105) although it doesn't lead to the cleanest look.
check out this thread on an install done in a 335i:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78107

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus711 View Post
the problem with a loc or clean sweep or 3sixty, etc. is that you are still dependent upon the factory head unit for your source, and that can really have a negative impact on sound quality, and gives you few options for tuning. I plan on getting an aftermarket hu, I just wish there was a double din opening for a large touchscreen. I guess I'll have to go with a single din (avic-n4, alpine d105) although it doesn't lead to the cleanest look.
check out this thread on an install done in a 335i:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78107

Errr...

I have a listening room at home for reviewing and understanding certain passeges or soft delicate parts of my music. I am an audiophile.

While I must have my music CLEAR and detailed as possible I'm also aware of when logic rues it's head. We are talking about a car stereo system here. 10 speakers is enough to get clear sound at reasonable sound levels before you distort the source.

A Factory head unit will play a CD every bit as good as a $1000 aftermarket HU. The level of qaulity between the 2 is not even remotely decernable in such an environment.

Speaker replacement may be needed and is usually the bst place to start. 10 new, high-quality component speakers will usually do the trick if driven with enough factory power.

Good clean power is the second most important impact on the qality of sound. Some people go way overboard here. Usually only a few more watts per speaker is all that is needed to get those aftermarkets nice and warm sounding.

Tearing you car appart and adding a monstrosity like that HU above is laughable. You gain very little and loose alot more. You invite theives to look more closely at your car, you've ruined the flow of your dash and you've just omited HD Radio and other seemless BMW components.

For what..?

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep

I disagree, but i guess it's all in what you want out of your system.

An quality hu will have better processing, better dac's and even digital output. And, I personally can hear the difference between head units, but someone else may not. Also, I don't want to be limited by the overpriced idrive system so I'll likely get the base sound system which definitely won't suit my needs. I would like navigation, dvd playback, hd radio, satellite radio, ipod hookup, voice guidance, etc. And most importantly the ability to tune the system with a dsp and equalizer, all this can be done with an aftermarket hu--cheaper than idrive.

I agree the fit and finish of the above install is not the greatest, but it only looks like that while in use (the screen comes out mechanically and goes back in when it's off) and I'm willing to trade some aesthetics to get the type of sound I like.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
ttdmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Blk Saph/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
+1

I laugh when I hear about so called high end audio in cars.
How do you even get the right listening distances in such a small area.

Next they'll be claiming to use tube amps for a smoother richer/warmer sound. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus711 View Post
I disagree, but i guess it's all in what you want out of your system.

An quality hu will have better processing, better dac's and even digital output. And, I personally can hear the difference between head units, but someone else may not. Also, I don't want to be limited by the overpriced idrive system so I'll likely get the base sound system which definitely won't suit my needs. I would like navigation, dvd playback, hd radio, satellite radio, ipod hookup, voice guidance, etc. And most importantly the ability to tune the system with a dsp and equalizer, all this can be done with an aftermarket hu--cheaper than idrive.

I agree the fit and finish of the above install is not the greatest, but it only looks like that while in use (the screen comes out mechanically and goes back in when it's off) and I'm willing to trade some aesthetics to get the type of sound I like.

I didn't say other cannot hear the difference, I suggested that the difference that you hear is flawed by the fact YOUR DRIVING ON A ROAD...!

If I need to study that particular piece of music I will do so in my listening room at home. Radio, MP3 are all unvalid to begin with. We are strictly talking about CDs.

Given a proper speaker set-up, you don't need to "tune" anything. Thats why choosing a the right component speakers and x-overs are important. If you think a HU will fix that your dilusional.

Buy a 135i and spend $2k on speakers w/crossovers and you'll enjoy a more robust, clean and dynamic sound thats not comprimised by electronics. Let the Musician's sound engineer speak to you how they recorded the album.. pure!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Indeed, you can never get real audiophile sound in a car. Even the best-built car will have vibrations. The odd shapes and different materials of the interior will give you strange echoes. The door panels don't leave enough room for a proper resonating chamber for speakers mounted there. You can never get rid of all the road noise.

Just about any decent car system will sound good enough. I'm not going to be listening for the intricacies and subtle melodies of a classical flute piece in my 135i. I'll use my home system for that. The car system should entertain me. It should offer the sources I need (preferably mp3 CD). It should go loud enough to drown out road noise without obvious distortion. (My current car fails this one at high enough speeds. Lots of road noise.) Asking for more than that is damn near impossible given the limitations of a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

The exhaust note is ur stereo open the windows and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
The exhaust note is ur stereo open the windows and enjoy!
took the word right out of my mouth, or should that be fingers??:wink:
      10-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
Ccfond
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW View Post
took the word right out of my mouth, or should that be fingers??:wink:
Amen. I still rememeber the first time I drove a C4s. I got in, put a CD in and started listening. I turned it down a bit a mile later after dropping the top and hearing the exhaust. A mile later I turned it off for the rest of the two day driving trip and just listened to that oh so sweeeet exhaust. Best band I've ever heard.

Exhaust is music:wub:
      10-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
jbbrann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 45e + '23 M240i

I agree with some of the above posters; I think the sound system in the 135i is going to sound great... it does have 300 hp and two turbos after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #20
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ditto. Good sound starts with vacuum tubes.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

The very lucrative and innovative car audio industry would disagree with you but i digress...

Yes, no car audio system will be able to compete with a good high-end well-planned home system. But, that's really not the point. Auto manufacturers understand that there has been greater demand for top-notch car audio, that's why many have invested in premium signature brands for their systems, particularly in luxury lines. I personally wish this wasn't the case, because I feel no factory oem system will match or have the flexibility of a good aftermarket system. So, more and more I'm overpaying for a limited system that is a chore to disassemble. But, I understand that I represent a minority.

I hope that the standard system in the 135i is the six speaker system mentioned in some brochures, because it will be easier to take out and hopefully keep costs down. Then I can install the system of my choice which will, for me, sound better and do more than idrive and logic7, and most likely be cheaper. But, as always YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #22
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Nothing wrong with wanting good sound in your car, especially if BMW calls it premium, charges extra, and it sucks crap like every BMW stereo...:iono:
Appreciate 0