BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Carbon Fiber wheels, are they brittle?

I first saw these Dymag wheels on the Koenigsegg then saw them available for high end Euros on www.rennworx.com. Carbon fiber outer rim and magnesium spiders in the center.

Love the wheels and they will ultimately be the most superlight. But carbon doesn't bend, so I am wondering if these will hold up to normal daily city use with the occasional pot hole or construction hole cover? Any thoughts?

An article on the Koenigsegg noted a crash when the test driver hit a rough edge of the road, then a construction cone and shattered the wheel. Also saw a shattered wheel from a racing Porsche on another forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
SpoolMasta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 LSB BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBimmer View Post
I first saw these Dymag wheels on the Koenigsegg then saw them available for high end Euros on www.rennworx.com. Carbon fiber outer rim and magnesium spiders in the center.

Love the wheels and they will ultimately be the most superlight. But carbon doesn't bend, so I am wondering if these will hold up to normal daily city use with the occasional pot hole or construction hole cover? Any thoughts?

An article on the Koenigsegg noted a crash when the test driver hit a rough edge of the road, then a construction cone and shattered the wheel. Also saw a shattered wheel from a racing Porsche on another forum.

These wheels are the best you can buy performance wise, but they are give or take 2500 PER wheel... good luck, but id rather spend the 10 thousand dollars else where..

Travis
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

I wouldn't have any issues using them on the track... But street would be questionable...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Bourbon
Member?
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, if nothing else I'd be scared to street $10k-$12k worth of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, no kidding! Thanks for the price update! I would go as high as $1500 a wheel for the performance but $2500, no way. Guess I'll have to keep looking at the OZ Superleggeras then (very reasonable price for the weight) or the SSRs which are slightly lighter and still around $400 - $500/wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

dont forget about volks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

CF = brittle
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding! Thanks for the price update! I would go as high as $1500 a wheel for the performance

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Take this into consideration, you gonna scratch or bend a rim eventually. the carbon fiber will go from all to nothin in no time plus youll likely damage other parts when the wheel fails suddenly. I would think it wont be easy to repair a carbon fiber wheel if even possible so that mean another $2500 to buy a replacement. Unless they are gonna be makin u money by helpin u win races id say stay away from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

I can give you a guy's screename on M3f.net that has a set, if you're really serious about them.

He's hard to get sometimes... does alot of racing on weekends. Just pm me, and I'll pass his screename along.

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
the carbon fiber will go from all to nothin in no time plus youll likely damage other parts when the wheel fails suddenly.
Comparatively speaking CF is pretty safe.

When a CF driveshaft fails, it is designed in a way that causes minimal to no damage...

If a steel driveshaft failed it could cut your car in half!

However this point is kinda silly. You have a point when you say 'when the wheel fails'. It is a given that the failure rate for CF wheel is much higher.. + When was the last time you heard about a forged aluminum 'failure'? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

These are primarly used on racecars for a reason. If/when the wheel bends/fails, you lose the race. If this happens on the street, you could lose a lot more.

Just not worth the money for a daily driver wheel. If its a trackday car or show car, then by all means.

Get a nice forged aluminum wheel and call it a day. Carbon/ceramic discs would be another way to drop some unsprung mass.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post

When a CF driveshaft fails, it is designed in a way that causes minimal to no damage...

However this point is kinda silly. You have a point when you say 'when the wheel fails'. It is a given that the failure rate for CF wheel is much higher.. + When was the last time you heard about a forged aluminum 'failure'? :iono:
What I was gettin at was that metal wheels can hit big pothole and bend, you drive home and get em fixed. Carbon fiber wheels wont bend due to potholes only break, givin it would take a lot, it could happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
These are primarly used on racecars for a reason. If/when the wheel bends/fails, you lose the race. If this happens on the street, you could lose a lot more.

Just not worth the money for a daily driver wheel. If its a trackday car or show car, then by all means.

Get a nice forged aluminum wheel and call it a day. Carbon/ceramic discs would be another way to drop some unsprung mass.
LOVE THAT IDEA! Carbon ceramic discs would be AWESOME! That is a dual purpose performance upgrade (lightweight plus super stopping power and fade resistance) so it would make much more sense than dropping a wad of cash on wheels that could break. And it turns out that they are about the same price range as carbon wheels...which is pretty much the stratosphere.

The Brembo metal big brake kits run into the $2K -$3K range. Carbon ceramic brakes would be around $10k. I am doing some searching to see if such a retro fit kit exists for anything other than Porsche, Lambo, or Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
What I was gettin at was that metal wheels can hit big pothole and bend, you drive home and get em fixed. Carbon fiber wheels wont bend due to potholes only break, givin it would take a lot, it could happen.
Yup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbimmer
or Ferrari.
That would be more in the 35k range
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yup..

That would be more in the 35k range

Actually, found a carbon disc big brake kit from Stoptech. The full on kit is $15K, BUT if you already have a Stoptech big brake kit ($3K) you can "upgrade" to carbon discs for $10K. So, it seems the thing to do is buy a regular big brake kit then add the carbon discs.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #17
Rep

Quote:
Actually, found a carbon disc big brake kit from Stoptech. The full on kit is $15K, BUT if you already have a Stoptech big brake kit ($3K) you can "upgrade" to carbon discs for $10K. So, it seems the thing to do is buy a regular big brake kit then add the carbon discs.
but 10 large for just disks... Weight savings? Link?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #18
Redy2Go 135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

since you mentioned driveshafts.. are the stock driveshafts steel or aluminum? just curious, thanks

Saphire black, manual 6 spd, sport package, interior black/alum trim
HiFi stereo, USB ipod, comfort access, delivery: July '08
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
but 10 large for just disks... Weight savings? Link?
Sorry zba857! I should have included these in the reply. here you go! Enjoy the reading!

Company Announcement
http://www.stoptech.com/company_info...peedster.shtml
Weight of the discs
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1713
Cost of full kit (for Corvette)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1804410
And, the piece de resistance, from our brothers over @ m3forum
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=177624
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:

CF = brittle..?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #21
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

There were attempts in the past to make a composite wheel using CF barrels. It didn't work so well in larger "heavy street car" sizes.

Its come back this year for SEMA. Its a "bling thing". Think along the lines of "spinners" and "LCD monitor wheels". :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

are aftermarket wheels from the 335i going to fit the 135i? i hope so...

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0