BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 330i

Electronic LSD????

So I was reading through the information now posted to BMW USA and I saw a spec for Electronic LSD. What is up with that? I was not aware that it was getting one and last time I checked the 3 series does not have one. After reading about the confirmation of the 6 caliper brakes and black painted calipers I am sold.

This car is really stacking up nice! Lets see, smaller car, 300hp TT (tunable), big breaks, painted calipers, LSD and really nice styling all for under $40,000. This just may be the car to have.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Tip of the day: Search tool. This massively cool function allows you to find threads that answer questions that have already been answered numerous times.

For the record, the 135i does not have an LSD. It has an electronic traction control program that simulates a differential lock. But does not have a true LSD.
      10-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd330i View Post
Lets see, smaller car, 300hp TT (tunable), big breaks, painted calipers, LSD and really nice styling all for under $40,000. This just may be the car to have.
Breaks..... or brakes? I guess painted calipers are better than bare aluminum. Makes me want to buy the car now since they added a few cents worth of paint to the calipers!

Oh, and no LSD.

All that for under $40,000!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Tip of the day: Search tool. This massively cool function allows you to find threads that answer questions that have already been answered numerous times.

For the record, the 135i does not have an LSD. It has an electronic traction control program that simulates a differential lock. But does not have a true LSD.

I am aware of how do a search. I knew the LSD had been discussed which is why I said I was not aware. Moreover, I don't recall reading anywhere about mention of an LSD, specifically WCF. So now then lets proceed to the question at hand, this taken directly from BMW web site?

"The electronic limited slip differential comes standard in the all-new 1 Series. The main focus is on promoting a sporty driving style, for instance, when accelerating out of a bend or hairpin turn. An electronic function slows the spinning wheels, thus enhancing the car's traction without any negative effects on its steering behavior"

Are you suggesting that BMW is calling it an LSD but in fact it is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you suggestion that BMW is calling it an LSD but in fact it is not.
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ~ View Post
Breaks..... or brakes? I guess painted calipers are better than bare aluminum. Makes me want to buy the car now since they added a few cents worth of paint to the calipers!

Oh, and no LSD.

All that for under $40,000!
There were several discussion on here about confirming if we were getting the big brakes or not. My point was the emphasis of this as well as the added paint. This is nice. Time will tell on the handling aspect, but this may just be the best bang for your buck german car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ~ View Post
Yes.
Shucks. I was actually getting a little excited. Oh well there is always Turner or Hamann.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep

sd330i, sorry to stomp on you, but I detected blood in the water and went in for a bite!

I am in agreement with you about this car. NO ONE is building a 2-door (this is key!) rear drive with independent suspension (sorry Mustang) and performance numbers like the 135i for under $40,000. No one.

STi, Evo, RS4, Mazdaspeed 3, IS350. All 4-doors.

This car is unique in it's price point.

-AJ
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
I am aware of how do a search. I knew the LSD had been discussed which is why I said I was not aware. Moreover, I don't recall reading anywhere about mention of an LSD, specifically WCF. So now then lets proceed to the question at hand, this taken directly from BMW web site?

"The electronic limited slip differential comes standard in the all-new 1 Series. The main focus is on promoting a sporty driving style, for instance, when accelerating out of a bend or hairpin turn. An electronic function slows the spinning wheels, thus enhancing the car's traction without any negative effects on its steering behavior"

Are you suggesting that BMW is calling it an LSD but in fact it is not.
Threads where this subject has been extensively clarified:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391
      10-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

we've had quite a few discussions on the E-LSD
don't make us do it again
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
we've had quite a few discussions on the E-LSD
don't make us do it again
Apparently you all did, my apologies. It must have been during one my business trips recently. Downside is that I have been "officially" corrected, upside is that I will use my FF miles to pay form my trip to Munich for ED.:smile:
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Moreover, I don't recall reading anywhere about mention of an LSD, specifically WCF. .
I think it's hilarious when anyone uses the word "moreover".

You can always go aftermarket on LSD if you really need one. I dont think I do...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

MPower thanks for the threads. Have read some of them before. Since you appear to be knowledgeable on several fronts would you happen to know exactly where BMW has specifically referenced "LSD" other then on BMW website for the 1 series? I am not suggesting for you to spend an a great deal of time on it like the above (which I appreciate) I was thinking if you knew off the top of your head.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

SD330i, my apologizes for those that ripped your original post to shreds...Sheeesh. Anyhow, even though we dont get a ''real LSD,'' its interesting how the non-lsd 335i still is more enjoyable than the LSD equipped G35.
      10-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
SD330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
SD330i, my apologizes for those that ripped your original post to shreds...Sheeesh. Anyhow, even though we dont get a ''real LSD,'' its interesting how the non-lsd 335i still is more enjoyable than the LSD equipped G35.
i find the whole LSD very interesting and obviously a "hot" topic. I have not had one in any of my cars. Cars like my Mustang, the E46 and now my E90 were all fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Apparently you all did, my apologies. It must have been during one my business trips recently. Downside is that I have been "officially" corrected, upside is that I will use my FF miles to pay form my trip to Munich for ED.:smile:
no biggie we don't have all that much else to discuss at the moment. just giving you a hard time :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
those sound like fighting words..............oh wait I'm a BMW fanboy :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
MPower thanks for the threads. Have read some of them before. Since you appear to be knowledgeable on several fronts would you happen to know exactly where BMW has specifically referenced "LSD" other then on BMW website for the 1 series? I am not suggesting for you to spend an a great deal of time on it like the above (which I appreciate) I was thinking if you knew off the top of your head.
If I am understanding your question correctly, the differential was clarified in the original press release:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Press Release
For instance, the accelerator pedal has a quicker response rate and electronic rear brake management is used to simulate a differential lock for stronger acceleration in turns.
The rear differential on the 1 Series comes from a new generation of final drives optimized for running smoothness. Featuring double-helical ball bearings for the first time, the differential runs at an even lower operating temperature reached more quickly than before thanks to the reduction of fluid required in the differential
As you can see, BMW describes its rear brake management as a "simulation" of a differential lock. Other than this, I cant think of any other place off the top of my head where BMW mentioned the differential.

Quote:
If you think that was ripping, I can show you something that will make your eyes hurt on other forums. Bottom line, questions are perfectly fine and I or anyone else would be happy to answer them but searching the material helps avoid redundant threads which seems to happen quite a lot here (I think we have three threads on the announcing of the Pontiac G8 pricing going on at the same time).
      10-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Yeah, i do agree that redundance is a bitch. Why do you think i hardly post in those G8 threads..:mad:
      10-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #20
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
If I am understanding your question correctly, the differential was clarified in the original press release:

As you can see, BMW describes its rear brake management as a "simulation" of a differential lock. Other than this, I cant think of any other place off the top of my head where BMW mentioned the differential.

If you think that was ripping, I can show you something that will make your eyes hurt on other forums. Bottom line, questions are perfectly fine and I or anyone else would be happy to answer them but searching the material helps avoid redundant threads which seems to happen quite a lot here (I think we have three threads on the announcing of the Pontiac G8 pricing going on at the same time).

It obviously not a real or conventional LSD, but it works. To understand a bit more Look HERE, they have an animation describing the 1 series LSD. Click on "Meet the 1", then sport handling. Demo.

Wether or not you want to call it a true LSD, it is a differential and it does provide limited slip.. just not mechanically. So what? Less you tracking 3 or 4 times a summer I don't see the need in a mechanical LSD.

Fanning the fire

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yeah, i do agree that redundance is a bitch. Why do you think i hardly post in those G8 threads..:mad:
EXACTLY
      10-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #22
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
It obviously not a real or conventional LSD, but it works. To understand a bit more Look HERE, they have an animation describing the 1 series LSD. Click on "Meet the 1", then sport handling. Demo.

Wether or not you want to call it a true LSD, it is a differential and it does provide limited slip.. just not mechanically. So what? Less you tracking 3 or 4 times a summer I don't see the need in a mechanical LSD.
I dont even know why I am doing this again...

There is a massive difference between an electronically simulated differential and a true LSD. With an ELSD braking the slipping tire, it only prevents that particular tire from spinning; it does not shift power from corner to corner. That is a huge difference as an ELSD will not accelerate a car around a corner. Anyone who has driven a car with a proper LSD setup will understand that feeling. It is nothing more than a different term for traction control.

If you do not understand the need of an LSD in a high-powered sports car, that's fine you probably wouldnt use its advantages anyway. But to those who truly enjoy driving, an LSD makes a big difference in the corner.

Also, "it is a differential" is an interesting comment considering every car has to have a differential of some kind... :wink: