BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe [E86]

Garage List
135i Graduation Car

Hello,

I am new one 1Addicts forums, but I have for some time now been talking with a gentleman at Century BMW in Huntsville, Alabama. He has been patient with me since I started discussions near the 2nd semester of my junior year about a graduation car. He was nice enough to turn a blind eye when my mother took me out in a 325ci and let me test drive it despite not being 21. We had discussed a 328i (preferably coupe) for a graduation car.

I have since heard about the 1 series and I'm interested in the 135i. I have taken performance driving school with SCCA and I drive with Team Junghans in Formula 500 so I'm not a 1st timer. I do wish to know though the basic differences (pros and cons) between the 3 series (including 335i) and the 135i. I chose BMW primarily for the quality, passion, design and their focus for a DRIVERS car. I will be splitting the price 50/50 with my father on whatever car we can settle upon for my graduation car.

I would also like to know if you would suggest the 135i for general college use.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Shazbot^ indeed. And a 'nanu nanu' to you too! ; -)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot^ View Post
Hello,

I would also like to know if you would suggest the 135i for general college use.
Its been my observation that cars get beat to hell on a college campus. There's also an envy factor involved/to be respected, that manifests itself when that poor asshole who parks next to you thoroughly enjoys dinging up your nice car with the door of his Chevette every chance he gets. Behavior like that is fueled out of jealousy and spite, and its been my experience that its too common. Especially today as generation Y grows up with a profound sense of narcissism and entitlement, and complete lack of respect for others.

In college in 2007? Then the wise choice for a college car for you is a 1996 Accord. Hold the fart can exhaust and rear wing please.

I don't know if you've ever owned a BMW, but I have had mine spat on, and trash thrown on them more than thrice. There's a lot of sorry assness in the world today, which is why I'm really leaning toward a VW Eos with a VR6, to be low key and fly under the radar, especially as the wealth/class gap widens. Run silent run deep my friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Its been my observation that cars get beat to hell on a college campus. There's also an envy factor involved/to be respected, that manifests itself when that poor asshole who parks next to you thoroughly enjoys dinging up your nice car with the door of his Chevette every chance he gets. Behavior like that is fueled out of jealousy and spite, and its been my experience that its too common. Especially today as generation Y grows up with a profound sense of narcissism and entitlement, and complete lack of respect for others.

In college in 2007? Then the wise choice for a college car for you is a 1996 Accord. Hold the fart can exhaust and rear wing please.

I don't know if you've ever owned a BMW, but I have had mine spat on, and thrash thrown on them more than thrice. There's a lot of sorry assness in the world today, which is why I'm really leaning toward a VW Eos with a VR6, to be low key and fly under the radar, especially as the wealth/class gap widens. Run silent run deep my friend.

Wolfman, I thought you were over that damn Eos....lol Its all good though.

Anyway, I can honestly say the 135i is waaay too much car for college. I got my s2k during my sophmore year of college at19yrs old. It was my first fast/expensive/convertible/reliable car. It was my first manual too(my first 2 cars were auto) I was known on campus as that dude. I went nuts. Young people tend to do stupid things in general...its normal, and we learn from them and have fun...hehe. I mean I drove it to hell, went 146mph on a lonely road, packed two girls into 1 seat,drifting,driving home from endless parties, etc. I mean stupid sh*t. I mean it couldnt be less appropriate of a car. I'm just fortunate I didnt hurt myself or anybody else and the car is in tip-top shape. I wouldnt want to risk it with my brand new BMW. Other people on campus were so fortunate. If anything, I'd look at the 128i. Then uprade when u graduate.
      08-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Wolfman, I thought you were over that damn Eos....lol Its all good though.
I gotta see how the 1 series is priced and optioned before I make up my mind on what to buy. Who knows, I'm still thinking about getting the reworked Mercedes E-class platform as seen below...

Looks kinda big and heavy though.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8699113&size=l

When I was growing up, you could still see all the original muscle cars on the road, but they were all used up. Wrecked, rusted, loud, primered, redneck driven garbage. It would be nice to think that a modern version might actually be a decent car that's fun to own. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I gotta see how the 1 series is priced and optioned before I make up my mind on what to buy. Who knows, I'm still thinking about getting the reworked Mercedes E-class platform as seen below...

Looks kinda big and heavy though.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8699113&size=l

OMG bro. I was pumping gas today and a 'stang next to me fired up and I got so excited. I've always wanted to own a car with that throaty sound. Believe it or not, the Challenger is number 3 on my list. 1. 135i 2. EVO 3. Challenger. I'm positive it wont handle like a 135i but its soo damn cool and big. I picture mine in black with 22inch SRT Rims. Wow. If BMW screws up that pricing then Dodge hear I come. <--cant believe I said that.
      08-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, you could actually travel in a Challenger with some cargo. You could also put friends in and cruise in comfort because it would be fairly roomy.

I don't know if you've ever seen the death rate of cars during accidents...
http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...fe374ef40d374a
But the E-class has always had one of the lowest figures. I'm hoping that robustness of the chassis carrys over to the Challenger, after all it was designed while M/B owned Chrysler.

Also, look at the chart and see how much better a BMW 7 performs compared to an S-class. The BMW is almost twice as good.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Well, you could actually travel in a Challenger with some cargo. You could also put friends in and cruise in comfort because it would be fairly roomy.

I don't know if you've ever seen the death rate of cars during accidents...
http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...fe374ef40d374a
But the E-class has always had one of the lowest figures. I'm hoping that robustness of the chassis carrys over to the Challenger.
Thats what I like about it. You never know. Dodge might suprise us with the handling. I test drove a HEMI charger for a whole weekend and had so much fun. Too bad the styling wasnt my cup of tea. Wolfman, were threadjacking!
      08-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Good point. I'll stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Its been my observation that cars get beat to hell on a college campus.
That's quite true. The truth of this statement offsets inference you made in the Volvo C30 thread (where you kinda / sorta made it sound like we'd get the Sirocco here in the US).
:wink:

Quote:
Run silent run deep my friend.
This is good figurative advice. Don't try to go subterranean on us, now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I don't think its so bad... At 19 in my 1st year of university I had a brand new 2003 GTI, I know it isn't quite the same but it was a nice new car nevertheless... There were also a lot of Bimmers and Audis driven by students and no one really bat an eye. I guess it depends though. Definetly look forward to parking it on the far corner of the lot though...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #12
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Quote:

I don't know if you've ever owned a BMW, but I have had mine spat on, and trash thrown on them more than thrice. There's a lot of sorry assness in the world today, which is why I'm really leaning toward a VW Eos with a VR6, to be low key and fly under the radar, especially as the wealth/class gap widens. Run silent run deep my friend.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #13
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
I don't think its so bad... At 19 in my 1st year of university I had a brand new 2003 GTI, I know it isn't quite the same but it was a nice new car nevertheless... There were also a lot of Bimmers and Audis driven by students and no one really bat an eye. I guess it depends though. Definetly look forward to parking it on the far corner of the lot though...

What college do you go?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
PuffmattyD
Rep
Drives:

I had an e36 328i when I went to college in '99. Speaking from experience... you'll almost definitely get some dings in it by the end of four years. I did.

But, aside from one dumb-ass move that was totally my fault (I locked the keys in the car, and they had to come in with tongs and force open the passenger door) nothing catastrophic happened to my car--just minor dings and stuff. If you're careful... and park "defensively" you can probably (and I mean 'probably') avoid any real damage.

And, I didn't notice any marked animosity towards me for owning a BMW. I guess it depends what college you go to.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #15
imported_oslowley
Rep
Drives:

I had a one year old e36 325is in college for my 1st 3 yrs after which I got an e46 323ci and I never had anyone defile my car in anyway and I parked everywhere, gym, library, bars, curbside, whatever. An 87 accord, wtf.. that makes no sense at all, get the best car you can comfortably afford drive the hell out of it, enjoy school life and when you graduate go out and trade that sucker in for an even faster meaner model. The guy's already an experienced driver (formula 500 experience), plus the beater is for your first car an he's way past that stage.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well thank you for those who actually stayed on topic. 1996 Accord? Down grade from my 2005 Focus?

I'll be at Auburn University starting in 2008 and hearing the balanced words of experience about having a "nicer" car at school doesn't seem to be an issue of vandalism. I'm not going to drop getting a car because of what others might do to it. If we all did that all production of nice cars would end. But I will still definitely try my best to avoid that with defensive parking.

I would like to reitterate though since I don't think you touched much on the comparisons of the 3 and 1 series.

Thank you,
Shaun

(P.S. My use of Shazbot refers more to the minced oath used in Tribes rather than Mork and Mindy.)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #17
Bourbon
Member?
Rep
Drives:

VGZ!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #18
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor.l3ichiban View Post
What college do you go?
University of Calgary / Haskayne School of Business in my hometown, in Canada. So it wasn't Stanford or anything, I wasn't in the OC or anything like that 16 year old dude on another thread, its a good school, but not a super posh one or anything. Thats why I think it wouldn't be so bad...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
willyb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE Black Sapphire

Get the 3 series, it will fit in better at the "cake eater" frat house.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:

How true it is ! I couldn't have said it better.I love the "hold the fart can ! " Yes, it is a sad but true fact about the assholes in this world that will go out of their way to ding up your new bimmer. I had my 325 coupe scratched and dinged when I was in college. Buy the car that you like, if it is 135i, then buy it and enjoy it ....it's great car ! I will be buying mine after the initial hype is over and upgrading it with VISHNU ......MORE POWER ! ...Spring of 2009 !
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #21
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyb View Post
Get the 3 series, it will fit in better at the "cake eater" frat house.

Wow, I assume WillyB will be one of those "poor asshole who parks next to you". He even lives in the city next to me so maybe that'll increase the chance it'll be him :thumbup:.

Seriously though, would anyone suggest a 328i over the 135i (or vice versa) for any particular (car related) reasons? I'm just wanting to get the advice from other 'been-there-done-that' experiences so I don't waste my money.
But wait, since I'm that frat boy cake eater I must not have to worry about that, oh no!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

if you got the 328i, would it definitely be the coupe? Getting a sedan would definitely be convenient at certain times but thats really up to you. the only reason to be in a 328 over a 135 would be that its more tame and you're less likely to get yourself into trouble hot-doggin it. do you care how much leg room your backseat passengers have, or would you rather have twin-turbos and a more "spirited" suspension setup?

im not trying to hate like willyb here, but what is wrong with your 2005 focus? its 2 years old, anything mechanically wrong with it? I understand you want to take advantage of your graduation gift, but if you are really lookin to not waste your money, why not save the 1/2 of what youd spend on a new car, get you dad to give you the dough that he wouldve spent. You could ride the focus through college with cheaper insurance and gas and maintenance costs. Then you could use the money you saved to help with a house DP or to buy an even nicer car with the benefit you won't have to park it in campus parking lots where lots of idiots don't necessarily care if their doors swings freely into the side of your nicely waxed bimmer.

if you have the means, great for you, and great for your dad that hes willing to reward your graduation with such a generous gift. i'm not going to judge you based on this. but if youve got a relatively new car that works fine that may be paid off (dunno what your status is with that car), why not just ride it till it quits (or until you grad for college) and keep that money and add it to your college grad gift and get something even better.
Appreciate 0