BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Give the 1-er a grade
A It's a total winner 36 69.23%
B Better than most, but not superior 15 28.85%
C Average Not what I wanted to see 1 1.92%
D Nice try- no cigar 0 0%
F Total Washout. 0 0%
I Incomplete - 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

06-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

The 1-er: How d'You Like Me Now?

1er : How You Like Me Now?

Now that we've got some pics and official press release what's your opinion thus far? The good the bad and the ugly.

I thought I'd start it off with what sounds like a very beleagured EniLab
over on GCZ standing up to some withering criticism of the car...

EniLab : Interesting how almost everybody were shouting about E92 335i being "too sleek" , "too long", "too flat", "not masculine enough", "too vanilla" etc, and now when stubby, short, beefy 135i is out I hear: "too short", "too stubby", "too complex design".

Some people are just born to bitch (... about BMW).

PS: wait to see this car IRL!!! It's way more exciting than E92 3er coupe. Much more playful. Too look at & to drive. Strong & compact. Very masculine proportions.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have no reservations whatsoever in giving up my E46 M3 to get the 135i Coupe.

I think that statement, in and of itself, speaks worlds about my opinion on it.

06-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Go ENI-LAB. Just voted!
      06-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I have no reservations whatsoever in giving up my E46 M3 to get the 135i Coupe.

I think that statement, in and of itself, speaks worlds about my opinion on it.

Ummm ditto!! The test drive will decide whether someone gets the keys to my ZCP. :tongue:
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep

I give it an A. Big Surprise! But if I were to dock it, the choice of the 2.8 base engine is surprising and somewhat of a letdown.
No one wants "almost everything" - a better choice should have been available when only two engines are on offer in N/A.
Seems almost as if the folks climbing into the 128 are being penalized when compared to the uber-turbo.

A crass, but defendable marketing decision by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Actually, Brookside, the 128i is a 3.0L engine not a 2.8L engine. It is the latest version of the N52 found in the 328i and 528i.

Looks like BMW's marketing is working! LOL!
      06-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

How do I feel now? I'd drop 40K if it was in my garage tommorow
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Actually, Brookside, the 128i is a 3.0L engine not a 2.8L engine. It is the latest version of the N52 found in the 328i and 528i.

Looks like BMW's marketing is working! LOL!

Yes, of course you're right, I've driven the 328i as a loaner- fine. Nice car.
But I think some of us were hoping BMW could get the N53 ready/compliant for the N/A market by the time of the 1-ers introduction.
Wishful thinking.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

As of this momment my only compliant is the headlights. Also keep in mind that DOT requires there to be an amber reflector in the front. Expect US cars to have it in the headlights like the E90 sedan or small reflectors will be placed on the wheel arches like the E92.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Sorry, it gets a B from me for 1. giving us the crippled N52 wih 230/200, and 2. giving us the same fugly headlamps as the hatch.

Having that said, it's still the most likely car to be my next ride. After all, my WRX is far far from being perfect, but I've always loved it very much.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

C grade here.

+: The back end is clearly less bland and 90's Elantra-like than it appeared in the earlier cellcam shots. Nor does the greenhouse and roofline look quite as sedanish as it has in other photos.

-: The outer edges of the front light covers are extended way too far past the headlamps they contain, and are much too big relative to the car's small front grill, creating an imbalanced, fugly, bug-eyed appearance. The problem is made worse by BMW's insane design decision to drop the base level of the outer portion of the light covers beyond the headlamps, increasing their overall height in the outer portion and making this unattractive area even bigger. Plus I am no fan of the sharp side-panel creases extending all the way to the rear - another Bangle-astic abortion.

Ever the optimist though, I am still hoping it looks decent in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I'm saying it's a winner, but I'll have to wait and see how I feel upon seeing the car in the flesh.. which hopefully will be at L.A. '07.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 02:29 AM   #13
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Personally, I love it. The rear makes good use of the black diffuser and subtle spoiler while the sides employ one of the better interpretations of the flame surfacing. I will echo those who dislike the headlights, they certainly are my least favorite part, but I do quite like the M front facia.

Plus 6-piston brakes on the 135i!

I will take mine in Alpine white with the dark brown leather and brushed aluminum trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
si1972
Private
Rep
Drives:

Smile

I was onto my dealer as soon as the UK press release was posted.

I have placed a provisional order for a 123d msport coupe (for November delivery)

204hp and 54mpg is what we need in the UK with our high fuel prices.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Overall it's a total winner for me. Proportions are perfect. The bangle treatment is relatively restrained and results in a muscular profile. As with others, the headlights are a weak link in the overall design, but not enough to distract me from the overall effect. I really like the integrated spoiler in the trunk lid, which accentuates the aggressive stance of the car.

Overall it reminds me of the E46 Coupe, which IMO was one of the most attractive 4-seaters ever...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1972 View Post
I was onto my dealer as soon as the UK press release was posted.

I have placed a provisional order for a 123d msport coupe (for November delivery)

204hp and 54mpg is what we need in the UK with our high fuel prices.
Excellent news! The English are especially lucky they are able to opt for the "M sport" package! Though ZSP is a nice package in itself, it pales next to the additions you get from M technik. I think BMW NA product planners should reconsider making this apart of the sports package option for the entire NA BMW model line up. You shouldn't have to pay over $60k for a 550i M sport just to get some M goodies on a non M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I really like the integrated spoiler in the trunk lid, which accentuates the aggressive stance of the car.
I think you've been deceived - take a close look at the wallpaper photos just posted. The spoiler in fact appears to be an incredibly tacky add-on that really cheapens the look of the car - what a stupid way to go just to save a bucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
I think you've been deceived - take a close look at the wallpaper photos just posted. The spoiler in fact appears to be an incredibly tacky add-on that really cheapens the look of the car - what a stupid way to go just to save a bucks!
You have a way with words, Devon. Bet you're a 'Leafs fan, too... disgruntled bunch, they are...:biggrin:

Hadn't noticed the add-on, you're right. Probably part of the M Sport aero package. I'm looking forward to seeing an non-M version to compare the overall look. But I do still like the shape of the trunk lid with or without the add-on...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

It's about what I expected

That said, it is a bit plain. I think BMW could have been a little more aggressive in the design dept as they were with my Z4 (which I love).
The 1er is targetted to the younger and/or 1st time bimmer bummer, so I think they could have stretched the envelop a bit - but they decided to play it safe - maybe too safe.
My 2003 Z4 will need replacing early 2009, so the timing of the 1er Cab intro late 2008 is perfect and the 1er is the right size and the right power.
OTOH, by the time the 1er Cab comes out the new gen Z4 design and Audi A3 Cab will be known and that could impact my decision. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
That said, it is a bit plain. I think BMW could have been a little more aggressive in the design dept as they were with my Z4 (which I love).
The 1er is targetted to the younger and/or 1st time bimmer bummer, so I think they could have stretched the envelop a bit - but they decided to play it safe - maybe too safe.
+1 on that reasoning - I think the word '"pedestrian" might be apropos for the chosen design...

But if BMW is going to take risks, which I think they should, they need to take the right risks. The few they took with the 1 coupe (at least as revealed in the wallpaper photos) don't seem to work - witness the silly add-on trunklip spoiler that looks like it belongs on a 97 Camry with a "sport" package. And I am really trying to like that daring sharp crease along the sides/haunches but so far no luck.

By no means do I think the car is a design disaster, but it could have been so much more...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
+1 on that reasoning - I think the word '"pedestrian" might be apropos for the chosen design...

But if BMW is going to take risks, which I think they should, they need to take the right risks. The few they took with the 1 coupe (at least as revealed in the wallpaper photos) don't seem to work - witness the silly add-on trunklip spoiler that looks like it belongs on a 97 Camry with a "sport" package. And I am really trying to like that daring sharp crease along the sides/haunches but so far no luck.

By no means do I think the car is a design disaster, but it could have been so much more...
Eh, I think BMW decided that taking risks with styling is no longer in their best interest. The Z4 is not selling very well and many attribute that to the rather polarizing styling (because it certainly drives very nicely); the same applies to the E65/66. Those designs were done to introduce and headline the current design language, so there is no a longer a need to produce some kind of love it or hate it, push the limits design IMO.

I think this design, though, is actually quite racy. Much more so than the E92 and E87 which both appear softer and more luxorious. I even like the subtle lip spoiler, much more so than a traditional setup, especially given the useful nature of the piece. It kind of reminds me of the setup on the V8 S4s.
Appreciate 0